Monday, November 24, 2014

Black Sheep Restaurant in Five Points

Janice Price presents the vital statistics of Black Sheep Restaurant, Jonathan Insetta's awesome new eatery and modern designed building in the heart of Five Points.

Published October 11, 2012 in Dining & Nightlife      60 Comments    Open printer friendly version of this article Print Article

Black Sheep
1534 Oak St (the now exceedingly pointy corner of Margaret and Oak)
(904) 355-3793
Blacksheep5points.com

Black Sheep. Everybody wants to know about this one. The decor is fabulous. Sleek, modern buildings can seem harsh and forbidding, but owner Jonathan Insetta chose colors, materials, and really beautiful lighting that transform the big angular space into an airy, inviting dining room. A rooftop lounge is in the works, with a bar and seating arranged around a fire pit, and the whole thing ringed around with a narrow garden, complete with small trees. On the roof. The view is AMAZING. They aim to have that ready in three or four weeks, but don't let that stop you from checking out the food now.

The cuisine is American fine dining, with a Southern accent, using food from local, sustainable sources as much as possible, with no weird chemicals added. They serve a quick but decidedly not fast food lunch from 10 am to 2:30 on weekdays, with soups, salads, sandwiches, and a few entrees (Mayport Shrimp and Grits sounds good right now).
The dinner menu is more extensive, featuring, well, just about anything you want to eat, with vegan and vegetarian options available.

At the risk of boring some of you, I have GOT to talk about the kitchen. The chef, Guy Ferri, gave me a tour of the kitchen, and it was jaw-dropping. I was rendered temporarily speechless, and that takes some doing. I have worked in restaurants off and on since dinosaurs roamed the earth, and this is the cleanest kitchen I have ever seen, and it is beautifully laid out. I have no particular desire to work in restaurants again, but I was seized by an insane urge to put on an apron again just so I could cook in that gorgeous kitchen.

Gratuity is included on parties of six or more.

text and photos by Janice Price

BridgeTroll

October 11, 2012, 07:56:50 AM
Has anyone been there yet?  Sure would like to check it out but I have not had much luck in new venues...

Non-RedNeck Westsider

October 11, 2012, 08:19:09 AM
The food has been incredible.  Think southern comfort with a twist.  I can't tell you how the service is, though, I haven't eaten in the dining room yet, but knowing the expectations and the managers, if it's not right, they'll appreciate constructive critisism and make it right.

Kurt's in charge of the bar, so I don't think anything more needs to be said.

The only item I've had that's been somewhat disappointing was the duck confit panini - but I think it has more to do with Olio setting the bar extremely high than the sandwich itself.

Adam W

October 11, 2012, 08:23:54 AM

I've not heard anything from anyone yet, though I'd take reviews like that with a pinch of salt. I'd be curious to see a menu, as I wanted to try the place out next time I'm in town, but have stopped eating meat (and all the reviews mentioned meat of some sort).

I heard this place is brought to us by the people behind Chew and Orsay. Is that true? I never ate at Chew, though I heard good things about it, generally. I never really rated Orsay, so I may give this place a pass, if that's the case.

dougskiles

October 11, 2012, 08:28:06 AM
We ate lunch there yesterday.  The food was good, the service was good and the architecture is unique and worth seeing alone. I give it a thumbs up.

October 11, 2012, 08:34:17 AM
Been there twice since it opened. the mac and cheese is awesome. the decor is pretty cool too.

TPC

October 11, 2012, 08:41:11 AM
I've only been for lunch so far and it was pretty good. I had the Ratatouille Slider and a chocolate milkshake. My co-workers had the burger and chicken sandwich. We all enjoyed are food but there wasn't a "wow" factor. If you had ever been to Chew just imagine a similar items.

It does have a really awesome decor and if your going for lunch be prepared to wait in line since you order at the counter and they bring your order to you. Don't get discouraged by the line though, it moved pretty quickly.

I'm actually more interested in the roof top opening since I see myself going there more for drinks then the food since they have limited vegetarian options. Overall, I'm glad we have another restaurant option in the heart of 5 Points and it's already bringing large crowds and I see it doing very well.

TPC

October 11, 2012, 08:44:33 AM

Adam, here is a link to their menu. http://www.urbanspoon.com/cities/44-jacksonville/restaurants/1682804-black-sheep-restaurant/menu

It's fairly limited as far as non-meat items go.

BridgeTroll

October 11, 2012, 08:45:12 AM
Not so much interested in lunches there.  Would like to heare from some dinner patrons... as well as denizens of a possible Happy Hour... 8)

CityLife

October 11, 2012, 08:47:21 AM

When is it opening? Jax is lacking good rooftop bars/restaurants. Only one I can really think of is Casa Marina. I have a feeling this will be massively popular.

imawhistle

October 11, 2012, 08:52:41 AM
The phenomenal food and uncanny service brought to you by the same guy who brought you Restaurant Orsay.  The cocktails crafted by one of the only true mixologists in this city.  I like that it's just a tinge more casual than Orsay and that Black Hog Farms (a local farm that actually serves you local produce) supplies their veg.

Just a fan.

Hi guys!

BridgeTroll

October 11, 2012, 08:55:45 AM

Just a fan.

Hi guys!

Love Orsay and often asked about the progress of Black sheep... Love the Happy Hour!

Non-RedNeck Westsider

October 11, 2012, 09:00:44 AM

Just a fan.

Hi guys!

To be completely honest, BT, I don't think that they're open for dinner yet.

The plan was to get lunch going and ironed out before jumping into another service, but that was 2 weeks ago....

BridgeTroll

October 11, 2012, 09:06:28 AM

Just a fan.

Hi guys!

To be completely honest, BT, I don't think that they're open for dinner yet.

Thats what I thought NRW... I have an occasion this weekend for an evening of fine dining and Black Sheep was a possible option.

Non-RedNeck Westsider

October 11, 2012, 09:12:16 AM

Just a fan.

Hi guys!

To be completely honest, BT, I don't think that they're open for dinner yet.

That being said, I would have to recommend the pork chop.  It was served with black eyed pea succotash.....  Awesome.  Especially if you like the PC from Orsay - they're both fantastic, but are completely different from one another.

funwithteeth

October 11, 2012, 09:16:06 AM
What are their hours? I passed by there this past Saturday at about noon and saw no signs of life.

Josh

October 11, 2012, 09:21:42 AM

Mon - Thu:   10:30 am   -   10:00 pm
Fri:   10:30 am   -   11:00 pm
Sat:   5:00 pm   -   11:00 pm

Their twitter says their hours will be expanding once the rooftop is open, which is in several weeks I think.

Adam W

October 11, 2012, 09:43:42 AM

It's fairly limited as far as non-meat items go.

Thanks for the link, TPC  :)

It does look limited for veggie options. That said, I totally want to see the inside of the building. Maybe I'll just grab some of the mac and cheese.

Glad to see it up and running. It'll be a real shot in the arm for the area, I think.

duvalbill

October 11, 2012, 09:52:11 AM

Same owner and chef - Jon Insetta - who is a helluva nice guy, and makes great food.

Shwaz

October 11, 2012, 09:54:42 AM

Just a fan.

Hi guys!

To be completely honest, BT, I don't think that they're open for dinner yet.

They opened for dinner a couple weeks ago... just didn't put out an official 'grand-opening' event which can make it kind of confusing. So far I've been twice, once for lunch & dinner.

For dinner - my wife walked in around 7pm, and they were already pretty busy. We were sat immediately and our server was right behind the hostess for drink orders.  I started with a cocktail  :) The "Dusty Boot" and it was tasty... the tart punch of the drink was totally balanced out by the smoked salt on the rim of the glass. I skipped an appetizer and went straight for the entree - Black Hog Farm Chicken & Dumplings... very impressive. I had barely put a dent in my drink when the plates arrived which was about 10 minutes after we ordered. Our server was pleasantly attentive without being disruptive. Very nice.

As we finished up our entrees we were visited by Chef Guy and owner Jon. They were extremely nice and it was obvious that the guest experience was a top concern. Our personal experience was so enjoyable that we actually went back the very next day for lunch. We moved through the line fast and this time I ordered the Mayport Shrimp & Grits. The portion was a little small but the price was fair. My wife had the club sanwich which is a much heartier meal... soo I went ahead and ate up 1/2 of her sandwich  ;D Even though it's not a traditional sit down service, there were plenty of helpful people walking the floor - refilling drinks and grabbing whatever you may need. We sat at the long counter top bar complete with power receptacles for laptop / cell phone plugs and lunch time recharging... nice touch.

Overall I really like the casual lunch to nice sit down dinner concept and plan to try just about everything on the menu. These guys put a lot of hard work in before opening it's doors to get things right from the jump and really shows. Great addition to the 5 points area!

ben says

October 11, 2012, 10:16:07 AM
I've been a few times. The building and decor is gorgeous. Both meals were great. The chocolate malt was to die for.

October 11, 2012, 05:10:47 PM
This is a great place.  FSUJax and I had lunch there the first day that they were open to the public (last week) and I was impressed.

One cool thing of note: they have a whole seating bar set up with USB ports to charge up iPhones/ipads.  Very cool.  Like an urban restaurant!

Dog Walker

October 11, 2012, 09:19:11 PM
High concept; high achievement!  Wow!  Just Wow!  New York has NOTHING on Jacksonville.

Bill Hoff

October 11, 2012, 09:42:54 PM
Roof top bar should be NICE.

To open by the end of the month, per the TU.

simms3

October 12, 2012, 12:56:53 AM

Just a fan.

Hi guys!

Thanks.  Was going to ask who the suppliers are (wonder if the meat comes from White Oak Pastures which has such high quality that any restaurant picking it up moves up a few notches in my book!...Bluffton, GA).

Was not ever impressed with Chew, but Orsay always blows me away, especially with the service and the preparation of the plates (simple items done perfectly).  Also superb cocktails.  Will look forward to trying this on my next visit.  Decor looks so-so and more casual than I expected, but the roof top bar is what is really piquing my interest.  Jax doesn't have that yet so it should be a defining stop on the city's bar scene, and if cocktails are as good as at Orsay then it might be the only bar I care to go to in Jax any longer! :)

downtownjag

October 12, 2012, 08:38:20 AM
I could sit there for hours eating the deep fried olives and sitting at the bar... good beer selection and the outside seating is well thought out, not just iron tables.

Pinky

October 12, 2012, 02:42:32 PM
Is it "counter service" all the time, or just at lunch?

ben says

October 12, 2012, 02:51:03 PM
Is it "counter service" all the time, or just at lunch?

Just at lunch.

SaraD

October 15, 2012, 11:47:45 PM
The poutine appetizer is a must!

acme54321

October 24, 2012, 08:50:09 AM
Does anyone know when the rooftop bar will be open by?  I was hoping by this weekend as a place to take out of towners (or also out of downtowners)

Dog Walker

October 24, 2012, 09:02:36 AM
Pretty sure it isn't open yet but just call them.

Captain Zissou

October 24, 2012, 09:11:21 AM
I think it is supposed to open on the 9th.

funwithteeth

October 29, 2012, 12:07:39 PM
The poutine appetizer is a must!
Went on Saturday and had this. It was good! My first time trying poutine. I also consumed the worm from a bottle of mezcal. Completely unrelated to the poutine.

Dog Walker

October 29, 2012, 05:13:33 PM
Mezcal is also supposed to give you the worst hangover of anything you can drink.  Did the worm help or hurt?

Non-RedNeck Westsider

October 29, 2012, 05:16:10 PM

That's usually determined by how full the bottle is when you start - before you get to the worm.   ;D

funwithteeth

October 29, 2012, 05:19:07 PM
I got through it OK. I was hoping I'd start seeing colors, though.

Captain Zissou

October 29, 2012, 05:39:01 PM
I'll see you tomorrow, Black Sheep.

MusicMan

October 31, 2012, 03:08:26 PM
I've been three times, twice for food and once for a beer.

First time had the rueben: awesome. Highly recommend.

Second time had the fried green tomato BLT: good, but too much "bread" to be great. Personally
i prefer the BLT at Olio, it is my favorite.

Third, had a beer in the bar. Fun, good service.

Can't wait for the rooftop bar, which will have a firepit
plus food, delivered from the kitchen by a dumbwaiter.

ChriswUfGator

November 26, 2012, 02:40:34 PM
Just wanted to say this place is great. Been twice for lunch, both times the food was phenomenal. Thumbs up to Insetta on another great restaurant.

Dog Walker

November 26, 2012, 05:43:42 PM
Rooftop was open for Riverside WineFest last Saturday and was so crowded that they had to stop letting people up there.  The view from there is spectacular.

simms3

November 28, 2012, 10:28:33 PM
Went to Black Sheep this past weekend.  Honestly, after being hung over all day and having almost exclusively coffee and 3 cakes from Tres Leches, I was feeling miserable.  I had the burger.  My parents each had fish, and both were good.  My dad said later that he had a bad stomach afterward, though there's no telling.

I went to the rooftop bar for 2 nights over the weekend.  It closes at midnight (last call shortly before).  Here are my thoughts:

1) Excellent setting and very well done

2) Good thing there is table service because there are 2 bar tenders working a "craft bar" and a huge crowd.  I.E. good luck getting a drink within 5-10 minutes.

3) Parking is a breeze and free

4) The crowd is probably the most eclectic and sophisticated in the city, would easily fit in with suave crowds at similar bars in larger cities.  The drink prices don't necessarily reflect that :)

5) The drinks at Orsay are still leagues better, but I'm sure Black Sheep will get there.

BridgeTroll

November 29, 2012, 07:05:02 AM

1) Excellent setting and very well done

3) Parking is a breeze and free

I have to agree with your bar assesment... went for dinner and wanted to hang out at the bar for a few cocktails prior to dinner.  Service was painfully slow... and the prices painfully high.  Gimmee Orsay any day.  While nursing our drinks... we obtained a menu... am I alone in thinking the menu was rather sparse?  While I am sure the food available is delicious... we decided to go somewhere else for dinner.  I am a huge fan of Orsay and am very excited about Blacksheep but for now... I will pass

simms3

November 29, 2012, 08:02:33 AM
I thought the drink prices were cheap (aka didn't reflect one of if not the most price tolerant crowds in Jax).  At dinner my mom wanted some sort of wine that was offered through the server (1 of 2 choices for this type of wine).  The server literally gave a warning that it was expensive...

$12

"Is this ok with you?"

Uh yea, so a $12 glass of wine comes with a warning in Jax.  That's refreshing.  Drinks top out at $10 for craft drinks (I think at Orsay, too).  That's cheap for what you get (the mixers and ingredients are all sourced or homemade).  Similar drinks at similarly fancy places with views in Atlanta would potentially require a $10++ cover and minimum $15 drink.  In NYC, fuhgeddaboutit.

Still, service is painfully slow for sure and the drinks are still way better at Orsay (the drinks at Orsay ARE really really good...think I've had most of everything there at this point!).

ben says

November 29, 2012, 08:03:11 AM
Black Sheep burger > Orsay burger any day

Drink prices = a joke compared to most places I've been.

Josh

November 29, 2012, 08:48:38 AM
How many beer taps are on the rooftop? The first time I ate inside the main restaurant for lunch I was a little disheartened to see only 8 taps at the bar, but after eating at the bar for dinner I noticed they were 8 different great choices, so I didn't mind at all. It's amazing what you can work with when you don't waste any space on Bud, Bud Light, etc.

BridgeTroll

November 29, 2012, 10:26:44 AM

$12

"Is this ok with you?"

Upon reflection... I usually hit Orsay for Happy Hour... those $10 drinks are knocked back to $7 I believe.

PeeJayEss

November 29, 2012, 10:48:35 AM

$12

"Is this ok with you?"

They must be making up for it with the liquor prices! I had the same thought that the drink prices were pretty reasonable. Cocktails are basically $10 across the board, and craft beers were no more than $5 I think. But my Jameson's were costing me $11 a pop, and I'm not even bothering them for ice (the may be serving a 12 or 18 year, but I doubt, most places just have original, and it tasted like original. Plus I wasn't asking for anything special, and an auto-upgrade wouldn't be sporting). Granted it didn't stop me from drinking them, but spending for 6-8ml an amount that could get me 1.5L at a store does rub me a bit of the wrong way.

Nonetheless, I think the place is great, and love the rooftop.

simms3

November 29, 2012, 10:53:31 AM

I was mega disheartened that they didn't focus on Jax beers (1 or 2 options, none from Bold City).  They don't offer many unique beers (if I remember correctly it was like Brooklyn Ale, Fat Tire and Yuengling or something along those lines, plus John Boat from Intuition and a few others...oh a Cigar City beer from Tampa, too).  For a business that is very "localized", I would hope that they focus more on Jax/FL beers going forward over offering "mainstream microbrews" such as Brooklyn Ale.

fsquid

November 29, 2012, 11:22:16 AM
$11 for a regular Jameson's?  Ouch.

Dog Walker

November 29, 2012, 11:25:02 AM
Their "signature" drinks are too sweet for my taste, but I had the best Old Fashion ever there.  Completely changed the way I make them at home.

funwithteeth

November 29, 2012, 11:26:52 AM

I'm glad what few taps they have aren't dominated by locally made beers. There's more than enough places in the neighborhood to get them. (Also, at least the last time I went, they had Stone IPA, which I love.)

Josh

November 29, 2012, 11:46:59 AM

Yeah I was surprised to see 2 Intuition brews, but none from Bold City when I was there. Brooklyn Brewery is definitely a throwaway choice IMO, but I liked that they had Stone and Unibroue.

TPC

November 29, 2012, 12:59:00 PM
Black Sheep is awesome and the roof top bar is really nice but the prices are a little high compared to a few other restaurants and bars that offer some really great cocktails.

The way I see it though is you're paying for the view when your on the rooftop.

December 15, 2012, 04:02:19 AM

The way I see it though is you're paying for the view when your on the rooftop.

December 19, 2012, 04:01:28 PM
One of the Top 50 new restaurants in the US. Congrats. Only 5 were named in Florida. Most in south Florida. None in Tampa or Orlando.

Via the TU

Intuition Ale Works

December 19, 2012, 08:28:56 PM

I think it is funny that many of the same arguments against Black Sheep opening up in 5 points are now being used against MM.

MusicMan

February 10, 2013, 01:22:48 PM
Heard that they fired their chef? Any truth to this?

Had a great evening there Sat night. Got a great table on the roof (after a 1 hour wait) but it was worth the wait. Had the crab cake and grits: amazingly good.

Dog Walker

February 10, 2013, 04:05:56 PM
Ate there Friday night fairly early and every bite we put in our mouths was delicious.  Server was smooth and friendly  without hovering.

Josh

February 10, 2013, 05:45:58 PM
Heard that they fired their chef? Any truth to this?

The only chef there I'm aware of is Inseta, who is the owner.

sheclown

February 10, 2013, 08:10:30 PM
Was there about a week ago with two dozen friends.  I had "catch of the day" over risotto.  It was heavenly.  I did NOT lick the bowl, but I did discretely ran my finger around the rim.

It was expensive, no doubt about it.

But very well worth it.

Charles Hunter

February 10, 2013, 08:21:31 PM
Tried to 'walk in' around 8/8:30 Saturday night ... dining room booked with reservations until 10:30 PM, an hour wait for either the patio or the rooftop.  We were hungry, and it was pretty chilly for outside eating.  Will have to make reservations some time.