Sunday, April 20, 2014

Stephen Dare Interviews Bill Cosby

This weekend, Bill Cosby will be appearing at the Times Union Performing Center for the Arts as part of the Artist Series. From the WOKV Radio Headquarters, Stephen Dare interviewed Mr. Cosby for an entertaining half hour. Cosby dishes on Tim Tebow, Angela Corey, The Trayvon Martin Case, Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids, the Chicken Heart that Ate New York, The Lone Ranger and Tonto and much more! Listen in after the jump!

Published April 24, 2012 in Culture      16 Comments    Open printer friendly version of this article Print Article

One of America’s most prolific comedians of all time, Cosby has dazzled generations of fans with his comedy routines, also captured on his iconic albums and best-selling books such as Fatherhood and the groundbreaking The Cosby Show.  His comedy transcends age, gender, and cultural barriers.

Cosby broke television’s racial barrier with a role in I Spy, becoming the first African American to costar on a television series and win three consecutive Emmys for “Outstanding Lead Actor” in the dramatic series.  The veteran comic hosted the Emmy-winning cartoon Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids, which began airing in the 1970s and was made into a film in 2004.  The show, based on Cosby’s childhood in Philadelphia, was designed to educate and entertain.

The former Navy serviceman’s illustrious list of accomplishments includes roles on the children’s educational show Electric Company, and creating and producing the Emmy award winning Little Bill, which is based on his bestselling book series.

Perhaps Cosby’s greatest contribution to American entertainment and culture is The Cosby Show, about a close-knit, upper class black family.  Cosby said his intent was to portray an American family. Time magazine called the show “an encouraging sign of maturity in matters of race.”  The Cosby Show dominated the #1 spot for years, earning nearly unanimous critical praise.

Cosby hosted The Bill Cosby Show, “OBKB,” a series of 10-minute webisodes presented by JELL-O.  “OBKB” is the language of the Mush Mouth character from “Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids” and it is his expression for “OK.”  “Bill-B Cosby-B” interviewed kids between the ages of 6 and 11, mining spontaneous and unexpected comedy from their responses.

For his philanthropic efforts and positive influence as a performer and author, Cosby was honored with a 1998 Kennedy Center Honors Award.  In 2002, he received the Presidential Medal of Freedom, America’s highest civilian honor and the 2009 recipient of the Mark Twain Prize for American Humor.  On April 6, 2010, he was honored by his own hometown with the Marian Anderson Award.  He is the first lifelong Philadelphian to receive this award given to individuals who have helped change society through their art and the courage of their convictions.

Tickets for Bill Cosby in Jacksonville start at $42.00.  Discounts are available for groups of 10+ by calling (904) 632-3228 or groupsales@fscj.edu.

To order by phone with Visa, MasterCard, American Express or Discover call
The Artist Series Box Office at
(904) 632-3373(toll-free outside of Jacksonville 1-888-860-BWAY)

Tickets are also available online with Instant Seat Selection by visiting the
The Artist Series’ website: www.artistseriesjax.org

For tickets to see Bill Cosby perform this Sunday, April 29th at 2PM, call The Artist Series at (904) 632-3373 or visit artistseriesjax.org.

A short clip from the interview, during which Mr. Cosby speaks up about the Trayvon Martin Case.:

Interview and Video by Stephen Dare

Share this article   digg   delicious   reddit   myspace   technorati   google   newsvine

I-10east

April 24, 2012, 07:19:48 AM
Good stuff Stephen. I'm really impressed that you get to hobnob with some big time celebs!

April 24, 2012, 07:48:42 AM
did we really need a pic of Tim Tebow on the cover?

April 24, 2012, 08:21:55 AM
Nice Stephen. I used to love watching the Cosby Show.

Dapperdan

April 24, 2012, 08:37:29 AM
Is there a trasnscript of this anywhere? I can't listen to this at work unfortuantely.

Captain Zissou

April 24, 2012, 09:07:40 AM
Straaaaaannnnnggeeee Behavior!!!!!!!!!!!

Non-RedNeck Westsider

April 24, 2012, 09:13:09 AM
did we really need a pic of Tim Tebow on the cover?

Would you prefer Angela Correy?   ;)

Doctor_K

April 24, 2012, 09:46:06 AM

Ditto for me.

jtwestside

April 24, 2012, 10:40:53 AM
Stephen,

I find your ignorance of facts or blinding bias to be utterly shocking when you refer to Zimmerman as "That Bastard". Especially after Mr. Cosby just finished talking in length about tolerance. Other than the original incomplete and speculatory news reports of that night I find nothing to indicate that Mr. Zimmerman was anything more than a concerned neighbor whose crime was doing exactly what the federal government has been spending loads of money telling everyone to do (http://www.dhs.gov/files/reportincidents/see-something-say-something.shtm) and defending himself after he was brutally attacked. Proving that he had reason to be suspicious in the first place IMO.

The only thing I do find shocking about the whole thing is that Ms Cory say fit to move forward with prosecution with the evidence that is now available (photos of Zimmerman's bloody head for example)  http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2012/04/20/Dershowitz-prosecution-immoralr

What has happened to this man amounts to nothing more than the equivalent of an early 1900's lynch mob. Which is fitting because it was the democrats doing it back then too. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ku_Klux_Klan
Historian Eric Foner observed:

In effect, the Klan was a military force serving the interests of the Democratic party ...

April 24, 2012, 10:53:53 AM
Stephen,

Historian Eric Foner observed:

Jtwestside on this matter, I am no less ignorant than yourself!  We have the same information.

I personally have the opinion that he is guilty as hell, and I respect the fact that you have a different one.

Your point vis a vis the contrast between my language and Mr. Cosby's response is very well taken.

I debated editing the bastard part out, but I decided that it made a better statement to leave it in and let his reaction tell the tale that you posted here.

Talking to a truly tolerant and Grace led person like Mr. Cosby was a humbling experience, and I was personally schooled by the encounter.

I only wish that I could always provide the same example.  Perhaps in another thirty years I will have enough life experience, but at the present I'm afraid I have nowhere near enough.

Thanks for the feedback.

April 24, 2012, 11:12:59 AM

Ditto for me.

sad as this may be to say....yes

Doctor_K

April 24, 2012, 01:16:48 PM

Ditto for me.

sad as this may be to say....yes

So there *is* a transcript?  Please enlighten. :)

April 24, 2012, 01:42:46 PM
no transcript yet.  Its a dense twenty minutes of talking!

April 24, 2012, 01:43:29 PM
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/71Vz21zluH4" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/71Vz21zluH4</a>

coredumped

April 24, 2012, 01:43:53 PM
View it on youtube.com:
and click the "CC" on the bottom right of the video and select "Transcribe Audio." It's not perfect, but it's something:)

April 24, 2012, 01:57:00 PM
View it on youtube.com:

thanks coredumped!  Although the mistakes are unintentionally hilarious!

momowithamic

May 18, 2012, 03:48:30 PM
"Totally avoiding the preacher."

"...we don't want to expose you."

I laughed for a minute at this one. He's always been such a class act.