Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Sean Hall: Why Im Running For City Council

I did not choose to live in Jacksonville. The Navy decided that for me and my parents when my father was stationed at Cecil Field when I was 7. I grew up, went to public schools and graduated from college right here in Northeast Florida. As an airborne/Infantry officer in the U.S. Army and Army National Guard for 14 years, I learned how to manage and lead a team through extreme difficulties, while continuing to produce positive results. I will utilize my experience to work with local businesses to make sure city government does not impede the free market from succeeding in Jacksonville.

Published February 9, 2011 in News      21 Comments    Open printer friendly version of this article Print Article

My most recent endeavor in the private sector with Panasonic Computer Solutions has provided an unparalleled perspective in both the national and international business markets. As an executive business development manager for Latin America, I was accountable for driving and creating new opportunities for Panasonic throughout Central and South America. The opportunity to develop relationships with stakeholders in these countries gives me a unique insight into the unlimited partnership and trade opportunities with the rest of the world.

I feel called to offer what I can to public service, to give something back to the community in which, out of all the places I’ve been, I’ve chosen to put down roots and call home.

We need leaders who can listen, analyze, ask questions, think creatively, find common ground and solve problems. Not just for the short term but for the long term success of our community. This is what I do and I am prepared to make tough decisions – decisions that will move Jacksonville forward.

We must work to balance the core responsibilities of city government with the needs of our people and the resources to address those needs. The issues that Jacksonville faces are complex. It is critically important to see and understand how the choices we make now will affect our future.

My objectives are to:

•  Create new jobs in Jacksonville by growing local businesses and maximizing our Port’s full
potential;

•  Protect our City’s Quality of Life by prioritizing expenditures in the areas of public safety and
neighborhood infrastructure.;

•  Address water quantity, quality and access issues related to the St. Johns River;

•  Focus on efforts to development Downtown to its fullest potential.

Please vote for me on March 22nd. Let’s make Jacksonville a better city than it was yesterday.

www.Voteforseanhall.com Email: sean@voteforseanhall.com Facebook:Sean Hall for City Council

Sean Hall
Candidate for City Council,
At Large District 5

Noone

February 09, 2011, 04:32:43 AM
Thank you for your service to our country.

I know I've already stuck my foot in my mouth by already stating how I feel about this race and who I'd vote for but the election is still 41 days out and what adds to my frustration is specifics on issues.

First, I'd also like to extend an invitation to you and if you wanted to bring your daughter that would be OK too to paddle Hogans Creek.

At last nights city council meeting on The Courthouse issue should Monroe St. remain open or closed? I'd say open.

On 2010-856 Transient vendor ban- Would you support an amendment that would exempt the Waterways of our St. Johns River our American Heritage River? I would. Would you?

Shipyards/Landmar 2010-675 would you support immediately using the 680'Promised Downtown Public Pier?

What is your reaction on the Civic council announcement of the Convention center?

There are many more issues. Pension reform, Transportation, Corporate Welfare,

What is the one thing that bothers you the most and if elected you would fix it immediately? Thirsting for specifics.

February 09, 2011, 10:33:26 AM
I just spoke with Sean and he will be posting on here throughout the day.

February 09, 2011, 10:44:28 AM
Would you lead the way in establishing the Hogans Creek Greenbelt linking the river with a restored Springfield park system?

Would you lead the way in establishing Bay Street Pier Park?

Are you in favor of a sales tax increase solely dedicated to port expansion?

Would you lead the charge for bringing our city into the 21st century and partnering with such companies as Yahoo and Cisco so Jacksonville can become a SMART city?

Are you in favor of reducing signage ordinances to allow sandwich boards downtown and streamlining permit processes for downtown businesses?  These are crucial to creating a vibrant pedestrian experience.

I have many, many, many more questions... but these a start.

We need strong leaders in this community, I want to know if you are one of these leaders.

Thank you for your time, service and posting on to this site!

SeanHall

February 09, 2011, 10:57:47 AM
Noone,

No worries on anything you have stated previously. There are many great people running for office. I just offer the right skill sets and will be the best person for this job. I am an avid outdoorsman and would love the chance to share the water with you. Not sure about bringing my 10 year old but I will ask her.

In regards to Monroe/Courthouse: I need to see the maps. I always thought Monroe was going to be open. The traffic problems potential concerns me.

On 2010-856; I don't know enough about it. Perhaps we can meet and you can fill me in on the details. I sat down recently with Senator Thrasher and my main topic with him was the St.Johns. We will need to work with the State and Federal governments as well as local to take care of our river.

I need to evaluate the Downtown Vision and make sure the Pier is what we still need. We really need to establish what is our plan for downtown.

Civic Council: I like the fact that business leaders are getting involved. I didn't see the announcement. I will say the current location of the convention center is wrong. Convention centers need hotels, restaurant and entertainment in a walkable distance. If they are saying they want a convention center closer to the heart of downtown, I agree.

There are many issues and I am well read on a large percentage. I have strong thoughts on many of these but I want to hear your perspectives. I represent the people, I want to make sure that you have a voice in city government.

I'm in a Leadership class this week but I will check in on my breaks to respond to questions. Let's set a date for the Hogan Creek expedition soon...

wsansewjs

February 09, 2011, 11:06:37 AM
If you are going to support all of what you said, how are you going to prove to us in the future that you will follow up every words you say?

-Josh

SeanHall

February 09, 2011, 12:59:24 PM
I believe in people. I will always give people the benefit of the doubt. I will prove to you through my actions you can believe me. I grew up and live my life with character and integrity. I will make mistakes but I am human. I will always do my best. Thank you for the question Josh.

Demosthenes

February 09, 2011, 01:35:05 PM
Sean, yesterday a "vision" about downtown was released. In it were items like river front parks and even a rollercoaster. This website has long advocated urban renewal through Mixed use development, work force housing, and public rail.

Do you feel that a thriving downtown is important to Jacksonville, or rather, what is your personal vision for downtown, and how would you as a City Councilman have an impact on that?

Jimmy

February 09, 2011, 05:44:34 PM
Sean, thank you for participating here!

Jacksonville is now the last large city in Florida that fails to offer basic human rights protections for gay and lesbian residents by ordinance.  Even smaller towns in Florida have taken this step, with Volusia County well on its way to updating its own county protections.  So, the question:

Do you support or oppose amending Jacksonville's human rights ordinances to include protection on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity in the areas of employment, housing, and public accommodations?

SeanHall

February 09, 2011, 05:56:46 PM

As an at Large Candidate I will work with district Council person to set the priorities in their district. As a Springfield resident I like the idea of the Greenbelt. I will take this as a project I will work on.

Would you lead the way in establishing Bay Street Pier Park?
Once we, the people, set the vision for downtown we can move forward with the priorities. We need entertainment downtown. We need a draw that everyone will want to have a reason to come downtown. Live, work and play in downtown. Don't forget Uptown and those areas should be included in this downtown vision.

Are you in favor of a sales tax increase solely dedicated to port expansion?
We need to talk more about this. The port is critical. We need jobs now. We need community buy in. We need a solid business plan that includes Federal, State and Local commitment. Let's see what the return on investment is and what is the total cost of ownership. The new director of the port has been tasked with doing this without a tax increase. We need take care of "mile point", dredging, rail access, and over due maintenance issues for the port. I'd like to see what the new director can accomplish. This will go to referendum.

SMART City type initiatives are fantastic. These types of public/private ventures will keep our kids in Jacksonville and be a draw for others to move to Duval county. The reason I am running for an At Large Council seat is to work on city wide projects such as this. Something like this would be the kind of mission I'd like to work on. I will absolutely be a driving force for SMART City. I plan to be at the SMART City symposium that will occur in the next couple weeks.

Streamlining permits needs to be done. Sandwich boards sound OK but I don't know the whole picture on that.

A thriving downtown is critical to the success of our City. My personal vision is to have something like Art Walk being an everyday event. Having the artist moving in downtown will help create a "vibe". I am on the cultural council and feel it is an overlooked part of our City. I like the idea of a convention center more strategically placed in downtown. I want to see more restaurants and other venues full of customers downtown. I'd like to see the office buildings full of employees. I want to see apartments, condominiums and surrounding downtown neighborhoods full of residents. Many people say it and it is true, you can have a great suburbs without a vibrant downtown.

mtraininjax

February 09, 2011, 07:02:11 PM
Sean,

Kudos to you and your family for running! Kerri is a great sounding board and she is a great resource for you as well. I hope you pull through, you have a great deal to offer this city!

SeanHall

February 28, 2011, 05:08:15 PM
Noone,

I enjoy the water often. I would like to see it through your eyes though. I know your very excited about Michele T but I'm still interested in talking more with you.

Chat later...

Noone

February 28, 2011, 08:17:22 PM
Sean,

Have high tides in the morning this week and if Tues. Wed. or Thurs. works for you or another date and time that will be OK.

I realize I may be doing push ups before we get started. But it will be a pleasure to show you this urban Waterway. Looking forward to making it happen with you.

SeanHall

February 28, 2011, 09:24:15 PM
How long is the tour? This is a rough week. We will make time soon....

Noone

February 28, 2011, 10:28:15 PM
Just an hour.

SeanHall

March 06, 2011, 10:14:48 PM
Noone,

Let's paddle on Thursday. Don't vote until we talk. You should be informed before voting. See you soon.

Noone

March 07, 2011, 04:47:12 AM
Sounds good. I've started doing push ups anticipating this day. High tide 1:30.
11,12,1,2 any of those times will make for a nice paddle.
Lets Make it Happen.

SeanHall

March 07, 2011, 08:34:08 PM
Noone,

Please email me so we can talk and get set up.

Noone

March 08, 2011, 11:32:51 AM
I sent you PM. Just give me a time. Your on top of the list for Thurs. But there are others that want to Make it Happen on Thurs. too. Looking forward to it.

Ethylene

March 10, 2011, 03:35:58 PM
Anything happen?

SeanHall

March 11, 2011, 09:33:07 AM
I couldn't get out on the water yesterday. Too many events in one day. We have to reset our Hogan Creek trip. Next week has some open slots. I will contact Noone and set a new date and time...

July 25, 2013, 10:37:17 PM