Friday, October 24, 2014

Intuition Ale Works coming to Riverside

In less than two weeks something brand new will be brewing on King Street. The People's Pale Ale, the first beer to be created by Intuition Ale Works, will be in the tanks and on its way to filling the taps of bars and restaurants across Jacksonville.

Published September 30, 2010 in Neighborhoods      37 Comments    Open printer friendly version of this article Print Article

Owner and brew master Ben Davis, who has been putting countless hours into the brewery in preparation for its opening, took time out of his busy schedule last week to discuss his latest foray into fermented beverages.

I met Ben at Kickback's, a Jacksonville beer lovers' ultimate hangout and King Street neighbor of Intuition Ale Works, to enjoy a few beers and learn about Intuition Ale Works and Jacksonville’s new brew-master.  The evening started, appropriately, with a couple of craft beers (Ben had an Orval Trappist Ale; I had a Cigar City Jai Alai IPA) and a discussion of how Ben’s interest in brewing became his newest profession.

While Ben has been involved in beverage production and sales for a number of years, he has just recently decided to change ingredients from grapes to malt, hops and yeast.  Ben got his successful start at The Grotto Wine Bar & Shoppe in San Marco.  He purchased and transformed the Grotto’s San Marco space from a coffee shop and gourmet food store into its current form and operated the Grotto as a wine bar for three years.  He later sold the business and moved west to work at wineries in California, New Zealand, and Australia.  Ben also produced wine under his own label, Tallulah, named after his late mother Mary Lou Davis.

Ben’s wife later joined him in California, but when it came time to start a family, the Jacksonville native sold his California wine label and moved home to Jacksonville.  Having always enjoyed beer and having experience in home brewing, Ben transitioned this interest into a profession after the prompting of a friend.  In order to refine his craft Ben studied at the Siebel Institute in Chicago, the most respected brewer’s academy in the United States.

Upon returning from Chicago, Ben started working to get the permitting, licensing, and approvals needed to open a brewery. Construction is nearing completion and Intuition Ale Works is ready to make its debut into the Jacksonville craft beer market. The brewery will be housed in a 12,000 square foot warehouse, located at 720 King Street in Riverside.  The brew house has the capacity to brew 10 barrels at a time, which is equivalent to 20 kegs or 310 gallons.  After its initial brewing, the beer ferments in one of four 10-barrel tanks until ready to be shipped out or served in the tap room.  The tap room will be in an adjoining building, which will also house offices for the Intuition staff.  It will offer up to 10 varieties of beers from Wednesday to Saturday.

While the majority of the beers offered in the tap room will be Intuition Ale Works originals, the tap room will also showcase a few "guest beers" from other craft breweries around the country. Ben anticipates having 4 to 6 beers in the tap room on a permanent basis with multiple seasonal or limited-run beers throughout the year.

In addition to beers sold by the pint to visitors of the tap room, Intuition will sell quart and gallon sized growlers to go.  The tap room will seat 50 patrons, with additional seating capacity available in the warehouse and another small bar.  In addition to the tap room’s regular hours, Ben hopes to have some sort of special event in the brewery once a month.  Whether it’s an art show, a concert, or a party, Ben is open to housing all types of events in the 12,000 square foot brewery.

Construction of Intuition Ale Works’ brew equipment should be completed by October 1st, and the brewery’s first beer should be flowing two weeks later.  Construction on the taproom will be finished by mid November.  The brewery’s first beer offering, The People's Pale Ale, will be a 'Left Coast Style' Pale Ale, tasting similar to Sierra Nevada's Pale Ale.  Intuition will then add the John Boat Ale, a, a Kölsch (a German beer that is warm fermented then cold-conditioned, or lagered, which gives it a smoother finish) to its beer list, followed soon thereafter by the King Street Stout, a southern style imperial stout made with molasses and brown sugar.

Ben anticipates the brewery will produce 1,200 barrels in its first year. Eventually Intuition will have a bottling line that will package beer in 22 ounce bottles, called bombers, to be sold in the tap room and area stores.  While the brewery will not have its own kitchen, Ben is in talks with a beloved local restaurant to run a taco truck on-site during the tap room’s regular hours for Intuition Ale Works’ hungry customers.

As for the name, Ben says Intuition comes from the idea that it doesn't take an expert palette to appreciate good beer. Ben believes that beer is meant to be enjoyed and shared, the medium on which relationships are established, and his goal for the brewery is to provide good beer for people everywhere to enjoy. Intuition Ale Works will be a great addition to Jacksonville, the King Street district, and the beer loving community.  Be on the lookout for the Intuition Ale Works beers, coming soon to a tap near you.

For more info check out intuitionale.com

Article by David Paulk

billy

September 30, 2010, 06:58:43 AM
Good luck on what I know will be a great success.

Was there talk of a third brewery in the works for the area?

BridgeTroll

September 30, 2010, 08:59:18 AM
I look forward to another local brew.

Captain Zissou

September 30, 2010, 11:09:04 AM
I can't wait until Intuition is up and running.  My only question is which "beloved local restaurant" is he in talks with for the taco truck??

Looks like a great addition to the neighborhood and the city as a whole.

Lilysmom5

September 30, 2010, 11:43:41 AM
Will they be hiring?

Angelica Pickles

September 30, 2010, 01:03:37 PM
Great article on Ben and Intuition Ale Works. I'm looking forward to the 22-ounce bottle offerings! Any idea what local bars and restaurants his beers will be in?

Captain Zissou

September 30, 2010, 03:01:36 PM

That would depend on who he is using for his distributor.  Bold City did most of their initial marketing on their own, and then switched to a distributor associated with Anheiser Busch.  I'm not sure who Ben's distributor is, but I'm sure he'll be in a number of local places real soon.

copperfiend

September 30, 2010, 03:08:44 PM
Taco truck? I like it.

September 30, 2010, 04:11:01 PM
If it's AB's distributor, that would be North Florida Sales.

Captain Zissou

September 30, 2010, 04:12:55 PM
I think they're called Champion Brands, or something similar.  I knew North Florida Sales was the distributor for one of the two breweries, just didn't know which one.  North Florida Sales is Bold City, Champion Brands is Intuition.

September 30, 2010, 04:16:50 PM
Yeah, Champion's major account is Miller and NFS is Bud.

I like the idea of 1/4 gallon growlers incidentally.

Intuition Ale Works

October 01, 2010, 11:25:15 AM

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the support and interest in our local brewery.
Wanted to get a quick response up.

We will be sold in Jacksonville by Champion Brands. They are a well run company and have a great deal of experience with Craft beer.
We will have to limit the number of accounts in our area that we sell to until we get an idea of our ability to supply the local demand.
We will focus on Riverside/Avondale and Downtown and some other key accounts across town that take their beer program seriously.

We will be hiring staff for our taproom in the middle of November. If interested please email resume to beer@intuitionale.com

Cheers,

Ben D.

A-Finnius

October 02, 2010, 10:20:22 AM
Any idea what hours and days the tap room is going to be open?

Intuition Ale Works

October 02, 2010, 11:02:32 AM
Any idea what hours and days the tap room is going to be open?

Our Taproom will be open Wed. thru Saturday 1-10pm.

Lilysmom5

October 04, 2010, 01:49:54 PM

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the support and interest in our local brewery.
Wanted to get a quick response up.

Cheers,

Ben D.

I will bring this up to my husband!

ricker

October 06, 2010, 10:30:40 AM
mmm derishus
will work for beer.
I have kept a keen eye on you now for many months.
I want a hard hat tour!
can't wait.
(but will)

Lucasjj

November 06, 2010, 09:43:38 AM
The People's Pale Ale now available at Kickbacks. Had several pints last night. Good stuff, looking forward to more.

SecularHumanist

November 13, 2010, 11:18:35 PM
Someone earlier in this thread asked about a taco truck.  I'm a huge fan of food trucks of all stripes, but haven't made it out to 103rd Street & Old Middleburg Road to "El Taco Yama" taco truck run by Christian and Susana Mazariegos.

Has anyone tried them out?

riverside_mail

November 22, 2010, 06:30:08 AM
Looks like the tap room opened Saturday. Anybody try it out ?

kam311

November 22, 2010, 09:28:28 AM
Looks like the tap room opened Saturday. Anybody try it out ?

The place was packed Saturday night - great atmosphere.  The Pale Ale and the Riverside Red are awesome!

Lucasjj

November 22, 2010, 10:27:10 AM
There was an awesome crowd there Saturday. The tap room is a good size and has a good atmosphere. All of the staff I dealt with were great. The other cool thing was the first beer you bought was a $1 more ($4), and then you just refilled your glass and got to keep it at the end of the night. It was a nice promotion for the grand opening.

I guess I should also mention that the beer is good. I really liked their stout and pale ale.

November 22, 2010, 10:33:47 AM

mtraininjax

November 30, 2010, 12:50:21 AM

Brian and Susan were telling me that they went with North Florida Sales so that they could get the beer in the Jags stadium. Its always moving around, so they never know where the beer will be, as NFS controls where beers go, but I have yet to see it in the Club section, but maybe one day, we will see both home crafted beers in the stadium. Club sells Champion brand items in cans and bottles, so maybe if Intuition can get a line created....

The Pale Ale is available at European Street on Park, at least.

ricker

December 15, 2010, 04:47:41 AM
I'm so proud of our baby brewery district.
I only wish the Cassat area could have supported Just Brew It.

WHYWHYWHY did the light outside FRATTLE frame stair rail welding shop (next to J&J crankshaft and Frank's metal sharpening on the Gilmore/Ralph side of 2670Rosselle) have to be dismantled?
lookslike someone's playing games to keep their customers scared from wandering between the 2...

Non-RedNeck Westsider

December 15, 2010, 08:28:48 AM
Was there Friday, and have to say that it was awesome - with one exception -crying baby inside.  If you were that person, you were breaking major rules of being out etiquette:  1.)  Really, should you bring your 1-2 yr old to a bar?  I know there's not chicken wings, jumbo flat screens and pool tables, but it's still a bar - and the rest of us found a way to go out and find a sitter for our kids.  2.)  When said child starts crying uncontrollably - take 'it' outside - we don't want to hear it.  But instead you can try to ingnore it and shoosh it all you want, it's not going to stop - it's what they do.

Now that that rant is over - has anyone tried the brawurst pizza - two of my favorite things..... together...... it must be awesome!   I guess I'll find out this weekend.

December 15, 2010, 08:38:13 AM

Really westside?  I don't mind crying babies. They tend to do that alot.  I think its awesome to have whole families in a brewery or a restaurant.  But maybe you arent saying don't bring children out, just deal with their crying appropriately?

Its something that the establishment can usually help out with by providing bread or crackers.

Bratwurst Pizza?  Yummy.

I ran into Cari Sanchez the other day in Starbucks at Five Points.  It seems like they are doing everything right there.

December 15, 2010, 11:23:55 AM
There's a couple who goes up there from time to time with their baby, haven't actually introduced myself... but they seem really nice and their child is usually really well behaved.

Stephen, Pele's Wood Fired pizza is really good(not quite as good as Pompeiis or Tommys but definately in the conversation).  I'll buy you one if I ever see you up there.

Everytime I've been up there Ricker, there are private security guards at Intuition... so although the neighborhood isn't the greatest, I've never felt unsafe.

Captain Zissou

December 15, 2010, 11:44:55 AM
The pizza is absolutely delicious.  I haven't determined my favorite yet, but the Pele's Special is quite tasty.  They'll be open Sunday for the game!  I imagine Ben will have a few extra tvs on site so that everyone isn't crowded around the one behind the bar (but that would be exciting too).

ricker

December 16, 2010, 11:27:27 AM
hey Fieldafm, not trying to be a crybaby _ :D   glad to see all the new beer craving traffic feeling welcome and brave.
and, having done business with J&J, and Franks, Frattle as well... I KNOW with certainty that the pole on the west end of the drainage retention swampy soft area of Gilmore on the north side of the road aproaching King, DID indeed have a nice purdy bright light atop it.until shortly before Intuition opened.

VOILA the fixture is gone.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

many nights have seen folks enjoy the safety of the light that many of us in the RAP assisted "R2" neighborhood watch wish to see restored as we continue to foot it to BoldCity and now the fancy TapRoom too.

AND yeah I too remain happily soooprised to see the scowling frowny faced watchdog err security man every single evening they're open!! can I get a hell yeah!  he keeps the ladies coming back I'm certain of it.

ABSOLUTELY they are doing everything THEY can do to be the perfect addition to their surrounds!

I recently reported TWENTY pole lights in this ONE watch zone alone. 83 in another! EIGHTYTHREE. that's 83 with a capital WTH man?!?

I cannot reasonably figure why it would have been dismantled.

Such shady manuevers undermine our efforts and counter the goals we volunteers have established for the entire area north of College to the Interstate, from King to Stockton.  frustrating.  antisocial.  rude.  intentional.

See thread on hovering helicopters on Ernest.  Intuition=smart to have security on payroll.
Mr. Davis would be wise to deliver a fresh in-the-box fixture to 2670-7 Rosselle with a knowing smile on his face.
Can I donate one to the cause? I'm looking at it right now IF you're reading this, Mr.Ben D.

KAY where are you when I need you?

Principal Carroway of Central Riverside Elementary (Gilmore@Acosta) would be happy to see that end of the street shining again.

Captain Zissou

December 16, 2010, 01:37:11 PM
Sad news.  They're no longer having the game shown on tv at Intuition this Sunday.  Guess that means it's back to Kickback's for me.

ricker

December 16, 2010, 01:52:26 PM
WHY no game at the TapRoom?

December 16, 2010, 07:35:35 PM

Like HAVING to watch the game at Kickbacks is such a bad thing?  You're getting spoiled now not living in downtown anymore, LOL

Ernest Street

December 16, 2010, 11:34:29 PM
Ricker,  Can you post a pic of where this light is missing?
Is there still wiring remaining for another light?..is it still live?

A donated light could appear, BUT..is the supply line going to continue to be live..or is it cut off.?

Captain Zissou

December 17, 2010, 09:42:24 AM

Kickback's is my usual spot.  I watched the majority of the world cup there.  It's going to be insanely crowded on Sunday I'm sure.  When it's full, it's like walking through a labyrinth just to get to the bathroom.

I am getting spoiled in riverside and it's going to keep getting worse... ESPECIALLY considering the new place Scott McAllister is working on.......... Dun Dun Dun!!

ricker

December 17, 2010, 02:26:18 PM
Ricker,  Can you post a pic of where this light is missing?
Is there still wiring remaining for another light?..is it still live?

My house is a bit of a construction zone for the time being.. . so, Yes I can throw up a pic as soon as I find my camera and its attachments in storage - maybe this is faster?
sorry fo the hurkyjerk hassle..in aadvance

not to be too terribly cheestastic - but will you google streetview  franks sharpening or Gilmore st. near Ralph near West street.  32204
the pole is plainly visible, wearing two opposing fixtures, in the grassy triangle on the north side of the road.

today, the pole is stil there but the fixtures are gone.

thanks btw for responding with any interest.
truly, thanks

Captain Zissou

February 15, 2012, 11:08:35 AM
So... I was on a soccer website and found something that really made me laugh.  On a thread related to the US vs Scotland game, some guy posted about Intuition.  Pretty funny, but people love their People's Pale.  I haven't had a chance to try some of the new canned beers, but I can't wait to get down there this weekend to try them out.

malkin said...
Are you kidding me!?!?! I moved to this sh!thole town 9 months ago, but of course that's the weekend I'm getting married back in nyc.

Reply February 15, 2012 at 09:08 AM

malkin said in reply to malkin...
and for the record, it's not really that much of a sh!thole. It's actually pretty cool. Be sure to check out Intuition Ale Works while you're in town...their new canned beers are perfect for tailgating!

Gonzo

February 15, 2012, 11:12:12 AM

malkin said...

Reply February 15, 2012 at 09:08 AM

malkin said in reply to malkin...

We were serving some of the canned Intuition People's Pale Ale at the Deland Craft Beer Festival this last Friday and the fine folks down there were going ape$**t over it! They loved the stuff and wanted to know where they could get it. We told them Jacksonville or St. Augustine on tap.

mtraininjax

March 12, 2012, 11:56:12 PM
For those who ran in the Gate River Run this past Saturday, Intuition was, at least Saturday, proudly displaying all the Gate River Run bibs of those who ran the race. Congratulations to all who ran and completed it this past Saturday!