6 International Companies Making Things in the Westside

January 18, 2016 1 comment Open printer friendly version of this article Print Article

Jacksonville is about as close to a historical manufacturing mecca as you'll find in Florida. Blessed with a location where interstate highways, railroads, and ports meet, the city has the ideal ingredients for a highly diversified mix of manufactures. Here's six international manufacturers, that you may not have known, that are heavily invested in the city's Westside.



6. Johns Manville


Jacksonville's Johns Manville plant courtesy of Google Streetview.

At the age of 21, Henry Ward Johns founded the H.W. Johns Manufacturing Company in New York City in 1858. In 1885, C.B.Manville founded the Manville Covering Company in Milwaukee, WI. The two companies merged in 1901, to form what is now known as Johns Manville.

In business for more than 150 years now, Denver-based Johns Manville manufactures high-quality building and mechanical insulation, commercial roofing, glass fibers, and nonwoven materials for commercial, industrial, and residential use. The company's products are used in an array of industries, from filtration to aerospace. With 44 manufacturing facilities across the globe, Johns Manville provides products to over 85 countries.

Johns Manville's only Florida manufacturing plant is located on a 13-acre site in the Westside of Jacksonville. Material for Roofing systems is manufactured at the Jacksonville plant. This facility is unique in that it is one of the first to convert to productuion of polyiso foam roof insulation with a non-ozone-depleting blowing agent, pentane. In addition, in 2009, the Jacksonville facility became only the second roofing industrial plant in the United States to be awarded Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSHA) Voluntary Protection Program (VPP) Star since 1984. Johns Manville Jacksonville is located at 5510 West 12th Street.


For many years, the company operated an asbestos pipe manufacturing plant in Green Cove Springs on State Road 16. This facility produced pipe used in municipal water systems. In 1983, it was sold to JM Manufacturing. It ceased operations in 2000.

Article by Kristen Pickrell and Ennis Davis, AICP. Contact Ennis at edavis@moderncities.com


 PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6