6 International Companies Making Things in the Westside

January 18, 2016 1 comment Open printer friendly version of this article Print Article

Jacksonville is about as close to a historical manufacturing mecca as you'll find in Florida. Blessed with a location where interstate highways, railroads, and ports meet, the city has the ideal ingredients for a highly diversified mix of manufactures. Here's six international manufacturers, that you may not have known, that are heavily invested in the city's Westside.



4. Coastal Films of Florida



Founded in 1979 as Sigma Extruding, Sigma Plastics Group is the second largest producer of plastic film and sheet in the U.S. With 36 manufacturing sites that produce industrial and commercial plastic films, Sigma is one of the largest buyers of Polyethylene (PE) resins in the world. PE is the most common plastic, with an annual global production of 80 million tonnes. Sigma's products include stretch film, institutional bags, merchandise bags, garment bags and converter-grade packaging, industrial film and bags.

In Jacksonville, the Westside's Coastal Films of Florida is a member of Sigma Plastic's Group of Companies. Built to produce 39 million pounds of product annually, Coastal Films receives PE resins by rail to produce custom sheeting, shrink bundling film, tubing, can-liners, wicket bags, and custom industrial packaging. Bags and industrial sheeting represent 45% of Coastal's product. Converter films represent the remaining 55%. The plant's fifteen lines consist of seven industrial lines (bags and sheeting) and eight converter film lines (bottling & food grade). Coastal Films of Florida is located in the Lane Distribution Center at 627 North Lane Avenue.




Here, a KLW2 2250 is sandwiched in between three hoppers and a tank car. The crew is spotting the three hoppers at Coastal Films of Florida. Courtesy of Henry Dell (Elchlok) at
Flickr.com



 PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT