Discovering the Essence of Old Mandarin

December 14, 2015 10 comments Open printer friendly version of this article Print Article




In 2000, the city opened the 11-acre Walter Jones Historical Park, the first historical park in Jacksonville’s extensive park system. The riverfront park includes an 1875 homestead farmhouse, barn, and outbuildings, as well as an interpretive reconstruction of the Mandarin boardwalk that was a fixture of community in the late 19th century.




This schoolhouse was built in 1889 by the Sisters of St. Joseph to educate former freed African-Americans after the Civil War. Now the oldest remaining one-room schoolhouse in Duval County, it was relocated to the Mandarin Museum and Historical Society with the help of Councilman Matt Schellenberg.

























 PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT