Discovering the Essence of Old Mandarin

December 14, 2015 10 comments Open printer friendly version of this article Print Article

Built in 1911, the Mandarin Post Office & Walter Jones General Store served as the heart of the community until it closed in 1964. It sold everything from canned goods from South America, to meat, animal feed, fish, cold soda and penny candy. The building, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, was restored by a grant from the Florida Department of State Division of Historical Resources.

The building that is home to the Mandarin Community Club was rebuilt in 1872, for use as the Mandarin School, after a fire destroyed an earlier building on the site. Harriet Beecher Stowe, famed author of "Uncle Tom's Cabin", spearheaded the building project. Black and white children were educated at the school. Mrs. Stowe, a 15 year winter resident of Mandarin, lived on river property across from the school. The school was also used as a site for community meetings and worship services.

 PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT