In the early 20th century, downtown was Florida?s premier urban center. The Silent Film industry was booming, jazz and blues joints lined Ashley, the Jacksonville Terminal was the destination point to over 100 passenger trains a day, and Forsyth Street was the home to a large theater district.
Located on the corner of Forsyth and Clay Streets, this hotel constructed in 1910 was demolished in 1981. For years the site was nothing more than a poorly maintained surface parking lot. Its now home to the new courthouse garage, currently under construction.
Constructed in 1909, this Klutho masterpiece was destroyed in 1974, in favor of a surface parking lot. Today, the site (as well as the old Heard Tower location) is the home of Bank of America.
The Hotel Mason (also called the Mayflower at one point) was located on the NW corner of Bay and Julia Streets. The 12 story structure was constructed in 1912 and demolished in 1978. The site is now the home of the BellSouth Tower.