While the Jacksonville City Council is poised to pass a bill this week to add an amphitheater and indoor football facility at Everbank Field, Metro Jacksonville takes a look at what was in the Sports District before football.
Lafarge North America
Lafarge North America's cement terminal was constructed in 1962. Lafarge is the largest supplier of quality cement products in the United States and Canada. With more than 20 types of cement and engineered blends, Lafarge provides innovative solutions for customers who include ready-mix producers, concrete product manufacturers, contractors, masons, builders, and municipal authorities. To access the 37,000 ton capacity cement storage silos, four 12-inch pipelines extend from the facility to the Commodores Point Terminal wharf. The site occupied by Lafarge North America was originally developed by Commodore Point for the Naval Stores Warehouse Company.
North Florida Shipyards
North Florida Shipyards, Inc. is a privately owned, small business company that operates ship repair and conversion facilities in Mayport and Jacksonville, Florida.
North Florida Shipyards, Inc. was incorporated in 1975. It is an outgrowth of Thermal Engineering Company, incorporated in 1967 and Ind-Mar Diesel, incorporated in 1970. The main office and facility is located at Commodore Point. It has approximately 3600’ of bulkheaded wharf, 210,000 sq. ft. of warehouse and shops, and resides on approximately 25 acres of property. This facility has been in the ship repair, conversion and modernization business since inception 40 years ago.
Manson Construction Company
Manson Construction Company's Jacksonville yard on the banks of the St. Johns River. Mason is a Seattle-based marine construction and dredging company that was established in 1905.
Lehigh Jacksonville Terminal
Founded in 1897 in Allentown, PA, the Lehigh Cement Company operates this 1963-era cement import terminal where East Beaver Street meets the river. Four 10-inch pipelines extend from the Commodores Point Terminal wharf to six concrete, bulk- cement storage tanks with a total capacity of 31,950 tons. Like its neighbor Lafarge, it sits on land originally developed in 1915 for the Naval Stores Warehouse Company.
Duval Engineering & Contracting Company
This abandoned property was the home of George H. Hodges' Duval Engineering & Contracting Company. Duval Engineering was engaged in the marine dredging, road construction and engineering business. Of interesting note, the Duval Engineering & Contracting Company built the Gilmore Street Bridge as a part of the Jacksonville Expressway project during the 1950s. The Gilmore Street Bridge is now known as the Fuller Warren Bridge and the Jacksonville Expressway is now a part of I-95.
Article by Ennis Davis, AICP. Contact Ennis at email@example.com