Tuesday, September 2, 2014

2nd Annual Jax Truckies Food Truck Championship

More than twenty of Jacksonville’s finest food trucks will compete head-to-head in the 2nd Annual Jax Truckies Food Truck Championship benefitting Second Harvest North Florida, on Saturday June 15th, 6-10pm at Burrito Gallery downtown.

Published June 14, 2013 in Dining & Nightlife      35 Comments    Open printer friendly version of this article Print Article

Food trucks have grown in popularity in Jacksonville and are now one of the fastest growing businesses in the state of Florida according to the Department of Business and Professional Regulation, which regulates and licenses these small businesses. Food trucks in Jacksonville offer a tremendous and affordable variety of hand-crafted, artisan foods. The Jax Truckies Food Truck Championship will offer a unique opportunity to showcase the best in North Florida’s burgeoning mobile eats by allowing guests to try a variety of delicious, high-end foods at drive-through prices.  A portion of proceeds from the event will benefit Second Harvest North Florida.

“We are so excited to showcase how food trucks in Jacksonville have positively contributed to the fabric of our community,” said organizer Mike Field.  Adding, “These innovative entrepreneurs have injected some flavor into Jacksonville’s culinary scene.  We’re so appreciative of Burrito Gallery’s commitment to our city and allowing us a venue to raise money for such a worthy cause like Second Harvest.  With everyone’s help, we can stamp out hunger in North Florida.”

Last year's winner, Andrew Ferenc of On The Fly.

The overall champion of 2012’s competion, On The Fly, faces some stiff competition in this year’s contest. Chef Andrew Ferenc of On The Fly said, “Since the championship last year the food truck industry in Jax has grown significantly and business for On The Fly has been great! I am going into this year’s competition with some old favorites and possibly some new dishes to spark the interest of this year’s judges and hopefully hold onto our titles as Jax Truckies Champion and People's Choice award winner.”

“Burrito Gallery is once again excited to support the Jax Truckies 2nd Annual Food Truck Championships in the epicenter of Downtown Jacksonville,” notes Paul Shockey, General Manager of Burrito Gallery.

“Second Harvest North Florida wants to thank Jax Truckies for once again raising awareness and funds to help solve hunger in our community,” Bruce Ganger, Second Harvest food bank executive director, said.  “What better group and event to help feed people than all of you who appreciate food so much!  For every dollar we receive we can feed seven children and their families, thanks to your efforts.”

For more information visit www.facebook.com/jaxtruckies or follow @JaxTruckies on Twitter.

About Jax Truckies

Jax Truckies supports the local food truck industry by providing a daily clearing house of food truck locations across Jacksonville.  Since March of 2012, Jax Truckies has also partnered with various organizations to host food truck-themed events throughout Northeast Florida.

About Second Harvest North Florida

The mission of Second Harvest North Florida is to distribute food and grocery products to hungry people and to educate the public about the causes and possible solutions to problems of domestic hunger. One dollar donated to Second Harvest generates seven meals, or the equivalent of two days of food for a person in need. Second Harvest serves nonprofit agencies in the following 17 counties: Alachua, Baker, Bradford, Clay, Columbia, Dixie, Duval, Flagler, Gilchrist, Hamilton, Lafayette, Levy, Nassau, Putnam, St. Johns, Suwannee and Union.

Source: Jax Truckies

May 22, 2013, 08:51:23 AM
Exciting news!

This will be by far the largest food truck rally ever held in Jacksonville with over 20 trucks competing head to head.  A portion of event proceeds will be donated to Second Harvest North Florida.  AND b/c this is being held in the summertime, the event will be held in the evening from 6-10p.

May 22, 2013, 08:58:38 AM
Should be a fun night. Hope the truckies come prepared with lots of extra food!

May 22, 2013, 09:06:20 AM
Looking forward to it. The number of trucks in the area and cuisines served have increased so much in the last few months, I haven't had the opportunity to try most of the new ones out.

02roadking

May 23, 2013, 10:51:53 AM
I saw this one the other day, but have not tried it out yet.  http://babysbadassburgers.com/jacksonville/

May 23, 2013, 10:59:57 AM
Can't. Wait!

May 23, 2013, 11:10:04 AM
Baby's Badass Burgers...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/CpsYS_xJmrU?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/CpsYS_xJmrU?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

CityLife

May 23, 2013, 11:13:07 AM

The two women that run it got ripped on Shark Tank for wanting to abandon their food truck in favor of a brick and mortar restaurant. I guess they learned their lesson and are now expanding. Wonder why they choose Jax as their first expansion?

Also can't wait for the competition. Great work Jax Truckies

ProjectMaximus

May 23, 2013, 01:10:15 PM

Yeah, I saw that episode! Maybe they decided to franchise out to third parties after receiving lots of attention from the show.

cline

May 23, 2013, 01:18:59 PM
So is this like a chain food truck?

CityLife

May 23, 2013, 01:28:03 PM
So is this like a chain food truck?

Looks like it. The owners of the business were pitching a brick and mortar store based on their successful food truck in LA, but the sharks were only interested in replicating the food truck business on a larger scale. Like Maximus suggested, they likely decided to franchise it out. Or perhaps they decided on Jax as their first expansion.

ProjectMaximus

May 23, 2013, 03:50:49 PM
So is this like a chain food truck?

Looks like they are indeed franchising.

June 03, 2013, 08:03:27 PM
If you go to the Jax Truckies Facebook page and 'share' the food truck championship event page, you'll have a chance to win two tickets to Second Harvest's FOODFIGHT! this Thursday featuring 60 local restaurants.  These two tickets cost $120!

June 05, 2013, 01:43:39 PM
Mike from Bruccis on News4Jax this morning talking about the championship event next Saturday:

June 05, 2013, 04:49:37 PM

Last day to get on this contest at www.Facebook.com/JaxTruckies

June 10, 2013, 07:20:11 AM
Food truck championship is this Saturday at the corner of Main and Adams from 6-10pm.

In a partnership with The Elbow, we are also giving away BOGO drink tickets to select Elbow establishments during the event so you can keep the party going all night.

Get up to get down(town)!

June 11, 2013, 11:44:32 AM
Bumping up for this Saturday.

marksjax

June 11, 2013, 11:50:24 AM
Mark's and Dive Bar are in.
Looking forward to it!  :)

Non-RedNeck Westsider

June 11, 2013, 11:54:37 AM
Not looking to sway any votes out there, but OTF FTW X2... just sayin'....   ;D

June 11, 2013, 04:26:06 PM
Lineup (truck count will increase shortly) announced:

CityLife

June 11, 2013, 04:37:24 PM
Already an impressive lineup...and there's more? I know I'll be eating a light lunch on Saturday.

smeeeth

June 17, 2013, 03:11:16 PM
I'm surprised to not have seen a review or any comments on how this event went this weekend.  I was unable to attend, but was certainly curious to see how it was.

June 17, 2013, 03:27:00 PM
^It was off the hook. The food and the crowd were phenomenal. The only complaints I heard were that it was too successful; the lines were long to get those delicious eats. Just goes to show that there's an obvious demand for food trucks and downtown events that we're not tapping to the full potential.

CityLife

June 17, 2013, 04:04:46 PM
Agreed Tacachale. I was expecting a crowd, but nothing like that. Got there about 30-45 minutes after it started and lines were already out of control. So the wife and I tried to go to Indochine, it was packed. BG was packed. Chomp Chomp was packed. Pho was packed. So we went to MacCool's as a last resort (not that its bad or anything).

The demand is there AND the event clearly helped out the other downtown establishments. I'd love to see a night time Truckies event at least once a month DT. Still think that DVI or someone at the city should close down Bay Street and just have a giant block party/night market with food trucks, vendors, live music, etc.

June 17, 2013, 04:27:03 PM

I have a photo thread of the event set up to run later tonight and through tomorrow on the front page. Great crowd. I got there around 6:15pm and the lines were way longer than I was willing to wait, so I ended up getting a redbox movie and cooking at home. Nevertheless, what stood out the most to me was the amount of foot traffic it generated on surrounding streets and the adjacent pocket park.  Why we don't start allowing food trucks to assemble around Hemming Plaza makes no sense to me.  If you want people in the park for an affordable price, food trucks are a great easy to implement programming solution.

Noone

June 17, 2013, 04:49:45 PM
Was out of town but glad to hear it was a success. Looking forward to the photo thread. Congratulations Mike.

How about a Food Truck parade. San Marco at 10am Hemming Plaza at 6pm.
Hemming Plaza at 10pm Springfield at 6pm
Hemming Plaza the nucleus.

Love the spontaneous organic cluster of infill energy that creates pedestrian foot traffic for additional businesses.

JayBird

June 17, 2013, 05:53:10 PM
I was there and loved it! Ate out of Pho's and Chomp Chomps trucks. Not only was the food great, but a great mix of people who were all interacting in ways that you don't even see in the club scene downtown.  So what I want to know, why doesn't DVI invite all these trucks and give them space at ArtWalk?  I hadn't been in about three months and just went recently and was surprised by how much the crowds have died down from it.

June 17, 2013, 08:37:39 PM
I was there and loved it! Ate out of Pho's and Chomp Chomps trucks.

huh?  don't think those truck were there

and, btw, there are food trucks at ArtWalk..usually 2 or 3

ben says

June 17, 2013, 08:57:41 PM
Pho and CC have food trucks now?

June 17, 2013, 09:38:07 PM
Pho and CC have food trucks now?

they do not

JayBird

June 17, 2013, 11:16:42 PM
Sorry my typo, we ate at both of the restaurants, not any of the trucks.

and, btw, there are food trucks at ArtWalk..usually 2 or 3

The only one I saw at last ArtWalk was the cupcake truck, guess they need better advertising

Non-RedNeck Westsider

June 19, 2013, 11:21:28 AM
I was there and really was glad to see the excitement generated by the trucks.

Deep down, I was a little disappointed because there was no way in hell that I was going to stand in those lines for food, but at least the line to the beer tent was short.  Doesn't matter, though, I make it a point to eat at these trucks on a regular basis, so it's not like I was missing out, only delaying the inevitable for another day or so...  :-)

Besides, I sent my mini-me on some 'recon-missions' and he, apparently, doesn't have the same regard for the formality of standing lines as I do.  ;-)

I don't think this kind of event would do well on a monthly basis - it get's stagnant and old too quickly.   I think it would be good quarterly or even 3 times a year with a 'grand finale' to crown the year long champion, plus with a few more events, it may lead to a better experience for the first-timers:  i.e. not waiting in line for an hour for a taco.

And I hope the nay-sayers in Jax Beach were paying attention to all of the additional business that was generated to the surrounding area....  Like several others, I didn't eat at a food truck, but took my business elsewhere.

More people = more opportunity = more $$$$ for everyone.

TPC

June 19, 2013, 03:12:56 PM
Hahaha, so it seems most of the people posting on here didn't even eat at the food trucks. I was on my way down when a friend texted me and said they were going to Pho because it was too crowded. Looks like it was good for the surrounding businesses.

June 19, 2013, 03:47:26 PM
I wanted too but I wasn't willing to wait in the lines.  Part of that is because I visit several of the trucks throughout the week.  For me, the enjoyment was the experience of seeing downtown look like a real city during a random weekend.

June 19, 2013, 04:31:31 PM
^Ditto here, though I got there a bit late and the trucks were starting to run out of food. Their loss, such as it was, was the brick and mortar restaurants' gain, as all the nearby restaurants picked up the spillover.

Non-RedNeck Westsider

June 19, 2013, 05:23:51 PM

Hahaha...  I don't think the owners of the trucks are going to ever consider 'running out of food' a loss.  ;)