Thursday, August 21, 2014

What if Jacksonville Suddenly Woke Up? Part I

Some say, Jacksonville is a diamond that wants to remain coal. What would it be like if Jacksonville were a city that didn't hate itself... led by people who acknowledged its achievements? Here are a few things that possibly would have happened in New York, Rome, London Paris, Seattle, or San Francisco if the leaders that made them into Great Cities had been given our city and history.

Published March 28, 2013 in Opinion      17 Comments    Open printer friendly version of this article Print Article

George Washington Hotel

The George Washington Hotel on Adams Street, would be the premier boutique hotel in downtown, instead of the surface parking lot it is today.

For more on the spectacular hotels of our past check out the full article.

1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

ben says

March 28, 2013, 04:25:28 PM
Great work, but damn, depressing.

strider

March 28, 2013, 06:29:43 PM
There is still the possibility for some of this, even with things, OK, our "leaders", being the way they are.  All we, meaning us Metrojacksonvillers have to do is keep up the pressure, support good, honest and visionary candidates to city council and make it all but impossible for "them" to ignore us

BoldBoyOfTheSouth

January 27, 2014, 03:57:17 PM
"Some say, Jacksonville is a diamond that wants to remain coal."

This pretty much sums up the vast majority of Jacksonville residents.

IrvAdams

January 27, 2014, 05:11:14 PM
I enjoyed that, thanks! Keep 'em coming. Kudos to the Norman Studios folks for doing their best to restore and invoke interest in this rare and preserved legacy. It needs more traffic and advertisement; we stumbled on it some time back.

Keith-N-Jax

January 27, 2014, 10:03:16 PM
"Some say, Jacksonville is a diamond that wants to remain coal."

This pretty much sums up the vast majority of Jacksonville residents.

I actually think its more that they are only concerned with their own piece of grass. As long as it stays green nothing else matter. You'd be surprised at how little people care about the city they live in.

I-10east

January 27, 2014, 10:23:38 PM
You'd be surprised at how little people care about the city they live in.

To me that personifies a litterer. There isn't no way that a litterer actually cares about their city, or even own neighborhood *Cough Cough Lenox Court*. Man, I can't stand those people, sorry for going off course.

Keith-N-Jax

January 27, 2014, 10:29:05 PM
^^ Very true and all kinds of people are guilty.

IrvAdams

January 28, 2014, 12:34:28 PM
I'm a native Jacksonvillian(?) or whatever it's called, so I don't know for sure, but I wonder if all cities suffer from some degree of insecurity and lack of self-identity, or just us? This is a great place, just lacks a strong ego.

BoldBoyOfTheSouth

January 28, 2014, 12:50:18 PM

I've lived in a variety of cities and regions and some cities do have inferiority complexes, i.e. never as great as New York or Boston, never as sexy as Miami, never cool like LA, not as dynamic as Atlanta, etc.   Though, most people who grew up in cities with inferiority complexes at least have a good idea of their city's history.

I often talk to people above a certain age who grew up in Jacksonville & they have very little understanding of their history.  They may remember shopping downtown in the 1960s or being a teenager hanging out at the coolest mall in the area, Regency, but beyond that, they are clueless.

How can these people who are proud of their southern heritage but have a complete lack of interest & pride in their own hometown?

BoldBoyOfTheSouth

January 28, 2014, 12:53:06 PM
I really hate to say this, but I've learned more about Jacksonville's past from MetroJacksonville that I ever did reading books about Jax or from talking with old folks who grew up here.

Even ignorant people usually remember their hometown's history even if it's seen threw rosy colored glasses.

Jax people don't.

IT'S WEIRD.

BoldBoyOfTheSouth

January 28, 2014, 12:56:07 PM
How many of us know or are native to Jax but will travel to New Orleans and relish in their naughty notoriety?  Go to Key West and enmesh themselves in the tails of wreckers, pirates and rum and gun runners but have absolutely no idea that Jacksonville was a very notorious place back in the day.

Our history is hiding in plain site.

BoldBoyOfTheSouth

January 28, 2014, 01:04:39 PM
We all know that Jax tries to pretend we are a Christian city but all of this holy rollin' is not who this city truly is.  Jax is the murder capital of Florida, just watch local news and this place is very crime ridden. These Christians are filled with road rage during the commuting hour. This place is a den of sin but everybody wants the world to believe we are a very religious place.

Let's just fess up and capitalize on our notorious history.

Keith-N-Jax

January 28, 2014, 01:15:33 PM
I am also a native born and raised here graduated from Paxon, Went into the service stationed in Hawaii, came back and left for Atlanta for 8 yrs. Sometimes I regret moving back to Jax and now I am in Europe for a few years. This is not a bash on my hometown, but there's just not enough going on for me here.

I thought after the SB, things would finally surge forward, but very little has happen. I want to live and enjoy my life right now, not 20 years from now. I hope things will change though, many people would like to see this city reached its full potential.

Keith-N-Jax

January 28, 2014, 01:18:18 PM
I also have learned more about Jax on here than anywhere else. Murders will happen regardless of churches and religion.

IrvAdams

January 28, 2014, 01:29:32 PM
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." John Lennon.

Many times I have thought about leaving, yet here I am. Things happen and life goes on. Why not enjoy and promote Jax?

Keith-N-Jax

January 28, 2014, 01:50:32 PM
Like Morgan Freeman said in the Shawshank Redemption get busy living or get busy dying. I choose to live.

ChriswUfGator

January 29, 2014, 12:31:54 AM

Jax people don't.

IT'S WEIRD.

Well of course, if they remembered it, the city couldn't repeat its mistakes every 10 years.