Friday, October 31, 2014

Revised Riverside Park Development Renderings

Replacing Lincoln Properties as the developer, Pollack Shores Real Estate Group, LLC. has submitted revised plans to the Downtown Development Review Board for a 310 unit infill housing development in Brooklyn.

Published April 3, 2013 in Development      52 Comments    Open printer friendly version of this article Print Article

General Information

DDRB Application 2012-004 is before the DDRB requesting to modify the previously approved conceptual plan by removing carriage house development and moving primary buildings to street frontage locations. The property owner of the proposed residential properties for development is P&L Jax Riverside, L.P., ("P&L", referred to as Pope and Land). P&L initially authorized Lincoln Properties to submit an application for residential development to the DDRB. Lincoln Properties presented for conceptual approval to the DDRB March 1, 2012, and the Board deferred action. The DDRB and the applicant, Lincoln Properties, held a public workshop to discuss the development and invite public comments March 15, 2012. Lincoln Properties then presented a revised plan April 5, 2012, addressing comments received at the workshop and received DDRB conceptual approval. Pope and Land, has since designated and authorized Pollack Shores Real Estate Group, LLC. as the developers and P&L's agent for DDRB approvals. The Pollack Shores Real Estate Group, LLC, as applicant, is now requesting to modify the approved conceptual plan. The proposed modified plan differs from the approved plan in that the carriage house design has been removed and redesigned primary building structures have been located to the perimeters of the property. Additionally, the applicant has increased the number units for a new total of 310 units verses the previous total of 283 units. The modifications to the site plan and the additional one bedroom units are supported by staff as reflective of more urban development in keeping with the development plan for the Brooklyn and Riverside District in the Downtown Overlay Zone and the Downtown Master Plan.

1 2 3 NEXT

Jason

April 03, 2013, 05:23:00 PM
Much Much better!!  BUILD IT NOW!!!

JUGrad

April 03, 2013, 05:26:38 PM
Now we're talking.. much better design and i think it will compliment 200 Riverside as well.

PeeJayEss

April 03, 2013, 05:30:09 PM
So...good day for Jax?
Looks like the changes are positive, but not everything some metjaxers hoped for, Oak and Stonewall getting closed to the public. Though, since those roads don't really go anywhere far, their loss may not be a big deal (at least for traffic). Hopefully the clarification on fencing will be positive. This one (Phase 1) is just residential, right? The renderings make it look reeeeaaaaalllly vibrant. Should be good for McCoy's use and therefore cleanliness, at least. What do we all think?

What's the deal with the hold-out parcels?

April 03, 2013, 05:33:44 PM
^I don't think Pope & Land owns those parcels.  Btw, there's more in store. There's two more developments up for conceptual review at tomorrow's DDRB meeting as well.  The commercial phase of this project and a small infill retail project on the Southbank. Over the next few hours, we'll be uploading their full presentations in article format.

JUGrad

April 03, 2013, 05:36:34 PM

I saw the article about the retail project on the Southbank.  I work in the Aetna building and if they're talking about coffee shops, restaurants, etc as possible tennants, i'm all for it... we need more options than the overpriced cafe in the Aetna building and the lackluster food options at the hospital.   I'm just confused as to where exactly this would be going....it's getting a little crowded over here.  It would be nice (and make a whole lot of sense) if they built a parking garage over the lot adjacent to Baptist with streetlevel retail but I guess that's out of the question.

Cheshire Cat

April 03, 2013, 06:14:07 PM
I quite like this design.  Hope to see it built!

acme54321

April 03, 2013, 06:15:26 PM
Why do prints 17-19 look very different than 20-21?  I like the latter much better than the first.

A vast improvement either way!!

duvaldude08

April 03, 2013, 07:05:23 PM
Holy crap! That is what Im talking about right there.

April 03, 2013, 08:03:19 PM
Definately an improvement.

April 03, 2013, 08:03:21 PM
Just add Skyway, Streetcar and Skybridge and this fire will turn into a blow torch.

jcjohnpaint

April 03, 2013, 09:16:04 PM
Holy Crap is this Christmas?

April 03, 2013, 09:24:12 PM

You mean something like this...

acme54321

April 03, 2013, 10:12:23 PM

You mean something like this...

Is Fuqua planning to fund that?

duvaldude08

April 03, 2013, 10:28:12 PM
Holy Crap is this Christmas?
exactly what I said. Coupled with the Laura street trio news this has been quite a good day!

April 03, 2013, 10:34:29 PM
Is Fuqua planning to fund that?

Nope.  However, Fuqua's development is on the DDRB agenda tomorrow as well.  I've got its renderings and information set to run at midnight to serve as tomorrow's front page article.

Noone

April 04, 2013, 01:37:01 AM
Nice design. Solar panels on top. The canopy with lights directed straight down through the red canopy. How cool would that look at night.

JoeMerchant

April 04, 2013, 07:31:09 AM
So much better than the original design, which brought to mind the saying we hear far too often, "it's good enough for Jacksonville." Also, what a smart choice for a firm name for Dwell Design, I'm sure they enjoy the popularity of a certain magazine.

April 04, 2013, 07:57:41 AM
Much better design. Not to jinx it, but with all these new projects, it almost feels like it's morning in Jacksonville.

DNAustin

April 04, 2013, 11:37:46 AM
So excited by all this new development news. Keep. Moving. Forward!

Riverrat

April 04, 2013, 12:44:45 PM
WOW! Impressive! SOOO much better than the original. I'm blown away! BRAVO!

avonjax

April 04, 2013, 02:42:44 PM
LOVE

Rocshaboc

April 04, 2013, 02:50:40 PM
Oh yea. That's very good! More great news to move Jacksonville and downtown forward.

April 04, 2013, 02:51:18 PM
The DDRB is now reviewing this project.  My meter runs out at 3:49p, so I'm not sure if I'll be around to get the full discussion on the retail center.

April 04, 2013, 03:10:50 PM
Pollack Shores' most recent project was in downtown Orlando.  They say they design all of their projects specifically to fit within the surrounding environment.  Their core target market is Generation Y. The project's architect is also working on one of the infill apartment developments at St. Johns Town Center.

April 04, 2013, 03:13:40 PM
A representative from Dwell Design is giving the presentation.  When they took over, they said the Lincoln design was too suburban. So the first thing they did was kill the already DDRB approved Lincoln layout and start over by pushing all the buildings to the street, creating an urban street edge.

Riverrat

April 04, 2013, 03:15:26 PM
Thank heavens for Dwell...can they design more in Jacksonville?!

April 04, 2013, 03:15:48 PM
All buildings will be wood frame structures. Buildings closer to Riverside Avenue are 3 stories. Those closer to Park Street are 4 story. This is intentional because the site's elevation is 8' lower on Park than it is at Magnolia Street.

April 04, 2013, 03:18:41 PM
Ground floor units facing the streets will be designed to "spill out" into the street and adjacent sidewalks to increase the area's liveliness.

April 04, 2013, 03:20:48 PM
The amenity center will be on the top floor (roughly 45 to 50', excluding potential spires on buildings) to provide views of the skyline and river.

April 04, 2013, 03:22:59 PM
Instead of security fencing like the Lincoln Plan, the buildings will serve as fencing and also shield the interior parking lot from view.

April 04, 2013, 03:25:26 PM
Dwell's representative said there wasn't much existing buildings left in the area to architecturally pull from, so they took a look at 220 Riverside's renderings, existing warehouses, and office buildings and decided to strive for something contemporary that breaks down the project's overall mass.

April 04, 2013, 03:36:53 PM
Chris Flagg leads off by telling Jason of Dwell Design, thank you. This looks like it's going to go a while but I have to leave. Max and an intern from the Jax Daily Record is here, so I'm sure they'll have a story about the retail center discussion tomorrow.

April 04, 2013, 03:46:06 PM
Pollack Shores' Orlando project was the Steel House apartment project.  We actually posted construction images of that project as an example of shielding a parking garage in the Parador garage discussion:

JeffreyS

April 04, 2013, 06:54:20 PM
Wow love to hear Dwell's kind of talk in Jacksonville comming from the design/development side. Kudos so far.

April 04, 2013, 06:57:12 PM
I hated that I could not stay there past 4pm.  The Brooklyn retail project presentation and discussion was the one I was most interested in hearing.  Listening to the guy from Dwell, it was clear that they get it.  I'd wish Fuqua would let them take a stab at the layout of their retail project next door as well.

simms3

April 04, 2013, 08:14:47 PM
This is an Atl architect, Atl developer, Atl landowner.

The adjoining retail is an Atl developer and landowner

220 Riverside is far more exciting to me for nearly any and every reason, but mostly because a Jacksonville developer is the lead and a Jacksonville design studio based out of East Bay St is the lead design firm (and I think they have some quality designs...checked out their website).  Excited for the day to come when Jacksonville developers run Jacksonville development (of course the capital backing will almost always come from elsewhere).  Would also be excited for local architecture studios, or even if we had enough work to lure a Studios branch office of some sort.

vicupstate

April 04, 2013, 08:39:16 PM

Very Jacksonvillian comment.  WHEN is Jax going to get a clue on those meters.

simms3

April 04, 2013, 09:10:18 PM
^^^When are people going to realize that downtown is not held back by "the meter"?  LoL  Nobody would care as much about paying if they wanted to be there in the first place.

April 04, 2013, 10:44:26 PM
^ exactly!

April 04, 2013, 11:51:48 PM
There are several things that have held back downtown over the years.  However, I also don't think we can make a valid argument that the parking situation (ex. policy, enforcement, etc.) has been a positive contributor to the end user experience over the last few decades.

April 04, 2013, 11:54:33 PM

Very Jacksonvillian comment.  WHEN is Jax going to get a clue on those meters.

Typically, since I strive to not pay for parking, I park near FSCJ or Kings Avenue and either ride the Skyway or walk into downtown.  However, I didn't have time to do that today.

simms3

April 05, 2013, 12:28:50 AM
I always get lucky DT I guess...have never been ticketed and I don't even feed the meter every time I park there.  I do know other cities where I have "never" gotten away with not paying and the tickets are much more expensive (and I'll never forget my $500 boot in Atlanta...current regulation restricts 1st day boots at $75 or $90...which I have also received in the lot next to me when my condo building garage was somehow full even despite me paying to be able to park there)...get your car towed in South Beach, SF, the Loop in Chicago, etc and while in Jax it could be $90 without a timetable in these places it could be $600 IF you can get to your car within 12 hours, LoL (going up from there).

Regardless...my current apt building offers $400/mo parking (hell naw not for me...I struggle for the rent alone, LoL) and my 1.2 million rentable SF office building doesn't even have parking (well except for a taxi queue and a string of town cars along a back alley, LoL)...my boss pays close to $600/mo for parking at his condo building, and $450/mo for very tight underground parking at a nearby office complex (that's enough parking to get you a luxury 3BR apt on the SS of Jax!).  Don't get me started on the hourly rates (I think we are the highest in the country now)...I've seen garages where they literally charge a blowjob for the first 15 minutes (JK, but they wish they could!).

Street parking violations are $68 in most of the city (that is IF you can find a spot...free and "relatively" abundant street parking is relegated to the southern edge of the city only), add $55 during street sweep hours, $1,876 for parking in handicap illegally, $100 if there is a clipper card check on Muni and you board without it, etc.  I'd say getting around and parking in Jax is a breeze!  I will say monthly transit rates here are much cheaper than monthly MARTA rates...and the system is better, too (except during rush hour...yea good luck even boarding the first two trains on your route)

There's just no reason *to* park downtown Jax, so I suppose I agree with you there that there's really no reason to charge to park then either...but what municipal govt isn't strapped and looking for a revenue source?

Jax has plenty of transplants who moved from more crowded, expensive areas...surely these people are not complaining about a having to pay to park or a $25 parking ticket if they risk not paying, LoL.  It has to be the locals who think it's the end of the world that you must pay for parking in an urban environment (don't worry, Atlantans are just as bad despite the much larger, more urban city, even San Franciscans complain because it's the only city in CA where you can go broke paying for parking or having a car...you can park in Beverly Hills for 2 hours for free!)

April 05, 2013, 12:44:12 AM
Most complain.  I don't think it's the cost that's the issue.  In the past it's been an enforcement issue but for me it's a why bother situation.  I can easily park for free four blocks out and walk or catch the skyway. In the grand scheme of things, what remains of the built fabric of DT takes up a small footprint.  Any other city, you'd walk a mile and not even notice it.  It's amazing how close free on-street parking on Laura Street, north of Union Street, is (time-wise) to Hemming Plaza.

With the change saved, I then take those quarters to places like Chamblins, Benny's sandwich shop, Chomp Chomp, etc. and spend it supporting them.  Just my personal preference but I'd rather my change go to helping someone keep their doors open.

vicupstate

April 05, 2013, 06:50:42 AM

That might be the case in SF, but not Jax or most cities.  It is a chicken and egg situation.  Why pay to park if there is nothing there?  Take away that disincentive, and more people will start to consider it as an alternative destination.

There is not nearly enough activity M-F to warrant the current parking meter/enforcement situation in DT Jax.

...you can park in Beverly Hills for 2 hours for free!)

Kind of proves my point, doesn't it?

ralpho37

April 05, 2013, 08:26:09 AM
Has a contractor been selected?

April 05, 2013, 08:41:00 AM
Not sure. They just received conceptual design approval yesterday.

lastdaysoffla

May 04, 2013, 03:24:55 PM
How about the city picks up on this Brooklyn Revitalization and beautifies  nearby areas of McCoy's creek and clears out the homeless encampment on the underside of the Park Street viaduct?? This development is great but will be an island in the surrounding blight.

sdmjax

May 04, 2013, 04:48:41 PM
It looks as if Jacksonville could be becoming a city that people will want to live in and just not exist...be nice if we could have more sidewalk cafes and a lot of micro brewerys.{sp}...I love the climate here but I sure do miss Chicago...maybe just maybe..it will all work out..

edjax

June 19, 2014, 08:01:10 PM
So still no word on commercial tenants or did I miss it?  It sounded a couple of months ago that those would be announced shortly.

June 19, 2014, 08:51:16 PM
Fresh Market, Corner Bakery and M Shack are three of them.

edjax

June 19, 2014, 09:17:51 PM
Thanks!  Actually I guess I put my question in the wrong thread, meant for 220 Riverside. I have added the question to the 220 Riverside thread.

June 19, 2014, 09:48:41 PM
For the record, I hate the damn parking meters and yes, I think they do hold back street level retail and restaurant activity, especially for someone who needed to put time in the office then retire to a pub or restaurant after hours. Yeah I know they don't collect after hours but if I'm going to have to be fined for going to my 'branch,' office downtown for this routine, then I'm better off in Bay Meadows. Dropping a few quarters isn't such a big deal, $4-5 per day, but over a 20 day month that's a $100 dollar fine for going downtown. Can I avoid that condition at Town Center? Flagler Center? Avenues? Bay Meadows? Deerwood? Orange Park? Mandarin? then why the hell open my boutique in downtown? Now guess what? I don't pay a damn thing to park at any meter in Florida, 100% disabled veterans are exempt, but I still think if we hadn't gone this route, we might have salvaged some of that old downtown mojo that was driven off, here and everywhere else. Just Saying.'

I still think a revenue recovery fee of some sort applied to longer term parking coupled with transit passes for those employees, would allow us to kill two birds with one stone. Rip out the meters, provide rides, and fill seats, whilst lessening the traffic burden. Parking enforcement would NOT GO AWAY, we would simply set up timed parking spaces and enforce it like many other cities do around the country that offer free parking. Parking meters were a great revenue idea when everything happened in downtowns across the land, but as that trend started to shift, they have cost us more in empty lots, vacant storefronts and mall exodus then they ever made. Someone should have gotten a clue around 1962 and yanked them out.

Sometimes I miss the activism of 1969! Just imagine what a citizen protest with 15-20 hummers, jeeps and suburbans could do a 2-3 am some morning by taking them all out! LOL! Free 6 pack to anyone who's game...