Sunday, April 20, 2014

Beaches Construction Update: September 2012

Here's a look at new businesses, closings, and renovations this month in the Jacksonville - Neptune - Atlantic Beaches area.

Published September 21, 2012 in Development      13 Comments    Open printer friendly version of this article Print Article

7-Elevens

Beaches Town Center location.

Plaza in 17th Ave. N. (Landshark)

6th Ave. N.

North Beach Fish Camp

Upstairs open and running. Closed Mondays.

LA Fitness/Atlantic Blvd. Plaza

Atlantic Blvd. Strip (Atlantic Theatres Plaza)

GNC

Atlantic Blvd. Publix plaza.

Soup's On

Open for business on Atlantic Blvd.

Boom Shaka Laka's

The business was short-lived. Plans are for Sun Dog Diner in the Beaches Town Center to relocate into this space, along with the neighboring one.

sweetFrog

New frozen yogurt shop is replacing Cortello Salon on 10th Ave. N.

Sakana/Blue Bar

The new restaurant venture is already closed in former The Atlantic space.

This now makes this entire block enclosure on First Street defunct. (McCool's relocated a few months back and Club O is defunct indefinitely).

Urban Flats Jax Beach

The new location is finally open.

1st St. Construction

KC Crave

New venture in the former Mixx space on Beach Blvd.

Beaches Museum & History Park New Addition

Plaza on 11th S.

Renovations.

Update by Sarah Gojekian

Share this article   digg   delicious   reddit   myspace   technorati   google   newsvine

CityLife

September 21, 2012, 07:45:58 AM
Didn't the new MacCools loction on 3rd Street close already too? What's going on at the Beaches these days? Atlantic, MacCools, Chicago Pizza, Ocean Club all closed...seems like a lot of places that were popular are closing at there. Are the rents too high? Are more people going out in Riverside/DT or the Town Center?

September 21, 2012, 07:48:03 AM
Don't you have to pay for on-street parking now?  Plus, First Street's reconstruction probably didn't do any of those businesses favors.

September 21, 2012, 08:13:26 AM
I think it is just the lots that cost...on Friday/Saturday nights

copperfiend

September 21, 2012, 08:50:49 AM
Most of the places out at the beach that close/open so fast are not run very well. There are restaurants and bars that have been there for years and are extremely successful.

That Boom Shaka Laka place made me cringe when I heard the name. From talking to people that went when they opened, it wasn't good and would not last and it didn't. Same with The Pier on First Street. Since the First Street Grill closed, alot of people looking for good beachfront dining. We tried The Pier and were very disappointed all around. And it didn't last.

copperfiend

September 21, 2012, 08:51:26 AM
I think it is just the lots that cost...on Friday/Saturday nights

That is correct

CityLife

September 21, 2012, 09:02:50 AM

That doesn't explain The Atlantic and MacCools closing. Those used to be very popular spots ( I don't hang out to the beach, so don't know if they have remained popular).  I mean upstairs at MacCools used to be one of the most packed places at the Beach and still charged higher prices than The Ritz and Lynch's.

September 21, 2012, 10:09:25 AM
^All the places on 1st street got hammered by the construction than ran into the summer. That must have constituted a good portion of the straws on the camel's back.

MacCool's moved to another location on 3rd street and has already closed. The weird new location and the cost of the move certainly couldn't have helped, though they still have the Landing spot open. There are plans to reopen a bar in the original Fionn's location, and from what I understand someone has bought Sakana as well and plans to reopen it with a new concept. The Pier was only closed briefly and has reopened.

copperfiend

September 21, 2012, 10:33:51 AM
The Pier closed and re-branded as some pseudo-Mexican restaurant. I have not been since they changed their concept but the food in my first experience was mediocre enough that I did not want to go back.

September 21, 2012, 10:48:41 AM
^I've heard it's nothing special either before or after the close, but I can't speak from experience as I've only gotten drinks there. At any rate it is open and seems to do pretty well whenever I've been. I think things will level out down there now that the 1st Street construction is completed.

copperfiend

September 21, 2012, 11:17:44 AM
You're probably right. Also, Tacolu is moving into the old Homestead location on Beach Blvd.

duvaldude08

September 21, 2012, 12:00:50 PM
I actually like The Pier. I went once (so I could use one of my Jags coupons) and the food was awesome and I planned to go back.

ben says

September 21, 2012, 01:41:32 PM
Too bad Sakana closed. Never made it out there in time, but the menu looked very unique and I heard great reviews. Not sure why it failed so quickly.

aaapolito

September 21, 2012, 04:01:04 PM

The service in the restaurant wasn't very good.  In fact, the service was very poor.

The place also seemed mis-managed. On a relatively limited entree menu (i.e. 10 items) the restaurant rant out of 3 items on one night.

On the positive side, the space was really cool and decor was pretty nice.