Monday, September 1, 2014

Global Spectrum's Facilities Management Proposal

Mayor Brown raised eyebrows a few weeks ago when his administration threatened to cancel the Jacksonville Jaguars stadium lease over what company (Spectacor Management Group or Global Spectrum) will manage Everbank Field and the city's other entertainment venues. What remains to be discussed is what is best for Jacksonville when it comes to these company's proposals to manage our entertainment venues. With this in mind, Metro Jacksonville has gained access to Global Spectrum's proposal and has decided to make it available for our readers.

Published June 11, 2012 in Urban Issues      57 Comments    Open printer friendly version of this article Print Article

Global Spectrum in interested in providing facilities management services for Everbank Field (above), Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena, Baseball Grounds of Jacksonville, Times-Union Center for the Performing Arts, Equestrian Center, Prime Osborn Convention Center, and Ritz Theatre and Museum.

Global Spectrum's proposal includes plans for a potential "Live!" entertainment complex to be developed near Everbank Field.  Global Spectrum's partner, The Cordish Company, has developed several successful urban entertainment complexes in recent years including Baltimore's Power Plant Live! (above), Louisville's 4th Street Live! and Philadelphia's XFINITY Live!.

For more background information click here

carpnter

June 11, 2012, 11:03:35 AM
I suspect that the complete proposal was not shared with you.
What was shared with you looks more like a response to a RFQ (Request for Qualifications) than it does a response to a RFP.

JaxBabe

June 11, 2012, 01:46:55 PM
i think this sounds awesome!  i've been to Xfinity Live in Philly and it's a blast.  i hope the city gives this a good review 'cause it would be incredible if we could have something like that here!!

sandbagger

June 11, 2012, 02:12:03 PM
An open, fair proposal process will benefit everybody, and keep contract standards high.

BridgeTroll

June 11, 2012, 02:16:35 PM
I would be remiss to not say... Welcome... to our two newest posters!  8)

bill

June 11, 2012, 02:20:00 PM
AB is so close to Global Spectrum he should have recused himself from any negotiations.

June 11, 2012, 03:20:07 PM

I totally agree sandbagger

June 11, 2012, 04:30:42 PM

and the Jags want SMG, so that is that

JaxBabe

June 14, 2012, 03:12:02 PM
Did anyone see CBS 47/Fox 30 News last night.  They did a really good job covering this story.  Explained a lot for me.  Here's the link if anyone wants to see it.

carpnter

June 14, 2012, 03:41:00 PM
I though the comment implying the Jags and Sharks backing SMG was political was interesting.  The Jags and Sharks are not political entities while the alleged relationship that Global Spectrum employees have with the mayor most definitely would be political.

JaxBabe

June 14, 2012, 03:51:06 PM
what alleged relationship are you talking about carpnter??

comncense

June 14, 2012, 03:59:31 PM
Though that may not be the actual proposal, I do like the idea of an additional entertainment complex in the Stadium District. One of the LIVE Entertainment Complexes would be great to have downtown. Hopefully whatever SMG proposes won't be just to keep the status quo of what they've been doing so far. I wonder why the Jags and the Sharks seem to be so in bed with SMG though. I understand people are resistant to change, but I would hope that there's something more than that.

Rynjny

June 14, 2012, 04:12:11 PM
Bay Street Live!!! that would be awesome....

carpnter

June 14, 2012, 04:18:05 PM
what alleged relationship are you talking about carpnter??

June 14, 2012, 04:22:58 PM
SMG put hundreds of thousands of dollars into getting the Jags here, so it's no wonder they want SMG. SMG also played a big role in bringing arena football here. The contract is clearly going to them.

copperfiend

June 14, 2012, 04:27:05 PM

Read the link you just posted and it explains SMG had a relationship with Touchdown Jacksonville! prior to the city even having a football team.

carpnter

June 14, 2012, 05:56:11 PM

It doesn't make it political, the Jags may have a vested interest in keeping SMG but you cannot say it is politics.   I am not comfortable with SMG giving TD Jax money and I think the city should be sure that a new contract addresses that if SMG is chosen.

June 15, 2012, 01:44:31 PM
Here are the full proposals. Thanks Daily Record.

June 15, 2012, 03:47:30 PM
Global Spectrum had previously undercut the SMG proposal by about half; SMG has now undercut Global even further:

SMG slashes fees in effort to keep managing Jacksonville's facilities

Competitor Global Spectrum would charge about half what SMG does now, but double what SMG proposes

The company that has earned about $1.2 million a year managing Jacksonville's entertainment facilities is now offering to do the job for between $150,000 and $187,500.

According to the proposal release to the public Friday morning, SMG is also offering to guarantee that the city will have to pay less to subsidize the operations of the facilities, which include EverBank Field, Veterans Memorial Arena and other locations.

Global Spectrum, the company looking to unseat SMG as the city's facility manager after 20 years, is looking to earn a fixed fee of $300,000 a year, with the possibility of earning another $300,000 each year in incentive fees.

The Jacksonville Jaguars, whose agreement is necessary for picking a company, has already said it wants SMG to keep the job.

From Timothy Gibbons at jacksonville.com.

Global's idea of writing in incentives to increase use of the facilities is interesting. I'm all that, whichever company, though I'd like to see it based not only on revenue. For instance, having 36 hockey games a year would be more valuable to me than adding 1 additional Taylor Swift concert, even if the latter made more money.

comncense

June 15, 2012, 05:08:36 PM
So after looking over the proposals, what do you guys think? I did like the fact that Global's at least openly addressed Downtown revitalization.

comncense

August 15, 2012, 06:24:21 PM
So it seems the City has chosen Global over SMG. It appears the Jaguars wasn't informed of the decision prior to the decision to being made, but no one is positive of that I would assume.

August 15, 2012, 08:11:35 PM
Wow, the city's really on a roll in screwing things up royally today!

mtraininjax

August 16, 2012, 05:28:11 AM

That is NOT the case at all. The City and it's board of 3 members made the recommendation to the Mayor and Jaguars to go ahead with Global over SMG, now it is up to the Mayor and the Jags to sit down and discuss the recommendation.

Nothing is set in stone yet, and to state it, is inflammatory at this point.

August 16, 2012, 07:13:05 AM
You don't think the situation is inflammatory as it is?

mtraininjax

August 16, 2012, 07:44:59 AM
I do believe spreading rumors as inflammatory. No need to add gasoline to this fire.

Noone

August 16, 2012, 07:58:58 AM

I think it's great that Global is there. An eye opener was yesterday at the Jacksonville Waterways Commission meeting and the handout on expenditures. Downtown Revitalization hey Springfield does anyone know the Hogan Street dock repair $1,059.79 Confederate or Klutho Park maybe?  How about Hogan Street Gangway $3,160.72 is that Klutho or Confederate Park? I'm serious to know the location because I want to go and check it out.

Our city is broke.  Props to Love and Boyer yesterday and I bet they will look at SMG and Global the same way.

Free Parking for everyone.

comncense

August 16, 2012, 08:16:26 AM
Well I just was stating the way it was reported on the TU site yesterday. I knew it wasn't 'final' due to the fact that the Jags have to sign off on it, and it stated that they were just now going to call the Jags now that they've made that recommendation.

I'm just wondering why the Jags are so hard set on keeping SMG. I'm sure there's some underhanded reason to it, but the same could be said as to the reason why the Mayor wants Global to come in. My question is, from a Jacksonville taxpayer's perspective, what exactly has SMG done for the City that would sway us to wanting SMG to retain its position, other than the fact that it would make the Jaguars ownership happy? I quickly breezed thru the proposals that were made public and like I said, I liked the fact that Global addressed downtown revitalization in its proposal. Though I know they can't say "Choose us and we will build (insert item here) downtown, but I'd be really excited if they built something like XFinity Live downtown. Has SMG been involved with or been the reason for anything being built around the Stadium District?

mtraininjax

August 16, 2012, 08:20:13 AM
The city needs to do what it feels is in the best interest for the citizens and taxpayers of Duval County. We elected them for this job and I do not expect them to bend over for the Suns, Sharks or Jaguars as they are all tenants in our facilities.

If any professional team demands something that the citizens are not willing to provide, go build your own stadium!

August 16, 2012, 08:25:03 AM
do you expect them to bend over as a favor to someone who has contributed significant $ to Mayor Brown?

mtraininjax

August 16, 2012, 08:32:05 AM

Do you think you can buy a vote? Ask Jimmy about Clay Yarborough's vote last night for further clarification!

August 16, 2012, 08:43:21 AM

When I look at it, past performance is something that shouldn't be overlooked. Can anyone say that they've been impressed with SMG's previous management of the city's facilities?  If not, what makes anyone think they'll be better the second time around?

August 16, 2012, 08:47:26 AM
^What makes you think Global will be better? Giving a contract to the mayor's buddies does not strike me as "better". In particular when it just antagonizes the Jags yet again.

August 16, 2012, 09:11:29 AM
I think we all can agree that SMG's past performance here has been shaky at best.  That doesn't necessarily mean that Global would be better but it is an indicator of what you can expect out of SMG.

Nevertheless, if I were involved in deciding between the two, I'd closely evaluate both company's past performance in other markets as well as their ability to fit into whatever plan/direction I want those facilities to go in, in terms of overall downtown development, programming and connectivity.

With that said, I also wouldn't "cave" into the Jags....or handle things the way they've been publicly done.  My ultimate goal would be to get the best deal for the taxpayer.

August 16, 2012, 09:32:16 AM
Oh, I agree, but I'd also rather not "cave" in to the pressure to hand deliver this thing to the Mayor's buddies either. And striking an entirely unnecessary adversarial relationship with the Jags is *not* in the interest of the taxpayer.

August 16, 2012, 12:31:05 PM
I agree with your last statement as well.

August 16, 2012, 02:30:28 PM
my concern is Global Spectrum doesn't have the stadium management resume

urbaknight

August 16, 2012, 02:54:47 PM

They're from Philly! That alone convinces me that they would be better than anyone local.
I'm all for doing things local except for anything that's meant to showcase JAX.
I think we should stop local construction companies from ever building DT ever again. (just look at the new courthouse, the arena, the main library I could probably go on and on.
I also hope we get a superintendant from somewhere else. (preferably from north of the Mason Dixon Line or west of the Continental Divide)
Those who conduct urban studies, should be from real urban areas.
Planners of buildings, streets, sidewalks, bike lanes etc. Get them down here from up there. You'll pay twice, maybe three times as much but you'll also get quality and longevity.
I go back to the courthouse, look how much we paid for it. It might fall down in 50 years, and it's not ADA compliant! All cuz these bumpkins wanted to cut every corner to maximize their own profits. A company from Philly would've charged less and there'd be a better longer lasting product too.

Going back to the issue at hand, most people in the Jags organization are from somewhere else, don't they realize that JAX policies are ass backward and anyone from the Northeast (and I mean anyone) would be much more capable than anyone here to maximize potential for anything. I guess most of them don't see what we see. Maybe many haven't been here long enough to see that things don't usually work.

Not trying to offend anyone here, but we all know it's true.

NotNow

August 16, 2012, 02:59:31 PM
I'm just guessing your from Philadelphia?

August 16, 2012, 03:31:21 PM
Urbaknight, are you under the impression SMG is local? They're also from Philadelphia and they're even bigger in the field than Global.

mtraininjax

August 17, 2012, 08:37:50 AM
Folks, this is a city bid, it is something that is performed with fairness to all who bid, just as they look at options with furnishings on bid, as well as services, the management of the City Owned Properties deserves similar treatment. I know Greg Pease, head of Procurement, and Greg is all about following the rules, that is how you survive and last in city government, Greg got this right and while people (Jaguars, Suns, Sharks) may not like the results, the City has a process and they followed the process to get where we are today.

I am all for a proposal that offers to pay the city more for the managing of the facilities. We have excellent facilities and our managers should do everything to maximize the revenue for us. Again, if the people (teams) think the grass is greener somewhere else, by all means, go build it yourself and run it yourself. Dallas, New York, have shown it can be done.

The last time we renovated the Jacksonville Municipal Stadium (Everbank Field), it cost US the TAXPAYERS almost 300 million, with little to no investment by the Jaguars. The team got a good deal from us, and from time to time, they need to be reminded of how the city has bent over to allow them revenue and money (such as the Everbank Field naming rights).  But just as you do with a landlord/tenant agreement, you can only have one chief.  I support the mayor taking a stance that he is voting for all of Jacksonville and not just for the tenant, we will see if he caves.

August 17, 2012, 09:21:09 AM
^I support that stance too, I just don't buy that this is an example of taking such a stance. At any rate the mayor shouldn't have his hand in the evaluations.

mtraininjax

August 17, 2012, 09:32:12 AM
At any rate the mayor shouldn't have his hand in the evaluations.

I agree with you on this! However, the agreement between the Jaguars and the City calls for the mayor to sit down and discuss with them how he plans to vote on this. A holdover from the Peyton days, and something our fine City Attorneys created.

carpnter

August 17, 2012, 10:18:42 AM

Those who conduct urban studies, should be from real urban areas.

Not trying to offend anyone here, but we all know it's true.

Turner, who built the the Courthouse and the Arena (joint venture with Perry McCall), is not from Jacksonville.  The Public Library was built by a joint venture of two local contractors, Elkins and Auchter(who has now gone out of business) and two out of town contractors Lodestar and Parris.

urbaknight

August 17, 2012, 11:41:31 AM
I'm just guessing your from Philadelphia?

I'm actually from New Jersey. My father was born in Camden; And my mother was born in Bayonne. So I claim New York City and Philadelphia as my cities.

NotNow

August 17, 2012, 12:14:26 PM
You seem very proud of your heritage, good for you!  Folks around here feel the same way about their heritage as well.  Might want to keep that in mind.  But of course the South is known for good manners.

urbaknight

August 22, 2012, 01:36:38 PM
I have no problem with the good people of the South. Bless their hearts, but they just don't know what smart leadership is like because they haven't had any since re-construction was suddenly haulted by conservatives grabbing back power.

Not to say the Northeast is without problems. But Jacksonville can learn from them. There's a great opportunity for JAX to be even better than the Northeast. (did I really just say that?) Well it's true. There are things up there that we absolutely hate and take for granted, that down here, we're so desperately fighting to get.

Like our transit system, we have trains, but they smell like piss. In New Jersey we have our transit system running throughout the state, but they charge more the further you go; And I'm not talking about from one town to another, I'm talking every few miles it goes up like a dollar.

August 22, 2012, 02:12:22 PM
^Again, this is a bid between two Philadelphia-based companies.

urbaknight

August 22, 2012, 02:31:54 PM
^Again, this is a bid between two Philadelphia-based companies.

I realize that now. I'm just trying to show that I don't think of the Northeast as the promise land. Because I think that I may've given the impression that I think everything of the Ne and nothing of the Se. It's not the case. I think I'm just homesick and taking it out on JAX because it's so different. And most of my family are still up there. They can't believe I'm down here and they ask me everytime I visit, "What are you even doing down there and when are you going to come to your senses and move back home?" I do miss my family. But I was just saying that we have our own problems up there, problems that JAX can learn from before implementing big city policies.

cityimrov

August 22, 2012, 05:14:43 PM
^Again, this is a bid between two Philadelphia-based companies.

Let me get this straight.  This proposal is designed to hire a management company from Philadelphia to run the stadium.  So what exactly is the city buying?

Are they trucking in workers from Philadelphia to Jacksonville?  Are they bringing in equipment from Philadelphia to Jacksonville?  Or are they just buying a few pointy haired bosses to yell at local workers while pocketing the change?

If it's the last one, then I don't see any value in this deal except for the privilege of wearing the word SUCKER.

August 22, 2012, 06:29:33 PM
They're bidding to, well, manage the stadium and other venues. You can read what the proposals are specifically earlier in the thread.

cityimrov

August 22, 2012, 07:17:10 PM

I briefly scanned it.  It's very fluffy and full of marketing talk.  It has nothing concrete.  The only major thing I read is "Hire Us, We'll Save You Money".  It still sounds like they are planning on sending a pointy haired boss and have the locals do most the work.  The SMG one is probably similar.

If Jacksonville really wants to become a model city of the 21st century, it really needs manage it's own facilities and create an atmosphere that is uniquely Jax.

NotNow

August 22, 2012, 08:00:29 PM
^What he said.  Many cities manage their own facilities.  We have had the Jags for more than a decade.  We have the marketing talent here to do this.

August 22, 2012, 08:44:38 PM
Traditionally, you don't give a job to the government when you want it done more efficiently.

cityimrov

August 22, 2012, 10:35:32 PM

Don't get someone from the government to manage it but get the mayor to motivate others to step up and take a swing at it.  Make it a nonprofit management company or something.  There's plenty of people who care enough about the city's image that they are willing to step up to the plate.  Just ask.

Venue management is something Jacksonville's religious community excels at doing.  The mayor needs to visit a few megachurches around town and see how they manage their facilities.  They are used to dealing with thousands of visitors on a weekly basis.  Get some of the old SMG managers to help with the transition.  While this will cost a bit more in the short term, in the long run, Jacksonville will be much better off creating it's own unique atmosphere.

August 23, 2012, 09:25:25 AM
Uh, they put the contract up for bid, and no one local bid on it. In fact, in city bids preference is usually given to local bids if there are any.

Non-RedNeck Westsider

August 23, 2012, 09:52:17 AM

No locals bid on it because no local companies met any of the qualification standards set forth in the RFP.

comncense

September 05, 2012, 07:56:02 PM
So now with the start of the NFL regular season upon us... Anyone heard any new news on the facilities management contract?

September 05, 2012, 09:03:00 PM
no, but the City has agreed to let SMG run the stadium through this season