Friday, August 1, 2014

Urban Construction Update - August 2012

A brief look at the status of various projects under construction in and around Downtown Jacksonville during the month of August 2012.

Published August 30, 2012 in Development      43 Comments    Open printer friendly version of this article Print Article

Downtown

Court Yard Cafe

Tenant buildout of the the Court Yard Cafe continues in the Courthouse parking garage at Adams and Pearl Streets.

7-Eleven - Union & Main

Construction continues at Union & Main.

McDonald's/Family Dollar

Warren Motors is in the process of relocating to Brentwood to allow for the redevelopment of the State Street automobile dealership property into a McDonald's Restaurant and Family Dollar.  The $3.7 million project is expected to be completed before the end of the year.

Duval County Courthouse

Work still remains on the conversion of the old US Post Office into the State Attorney's Office.

Everbank Center/Nature's Table Café

The transformation of the former AT&T Tower into Everbank Center continues.  Work includes a Nature's Table Cafe on the second floor and the installation of signage on the exterior of the tower.

Nature's Table Café will be located on the second floor of Everbank Center at the intersection of Forsyth and Pearl Streets.

Baptist/Wolfson's Tower

Pho. A Noodle Parlor

What has been described as an Asian noodle bar will be opening in the former Chew Restaurant space at 117 West Adams.

The Jacksonville Landing

The Landing food court an original tenant with the Flamer's closure.  However, it gains two with the pending openings of Pierre's Pizza and River City Tattoo.

The site formerly known as Worman's

Demolition of the historic Worman's Bakery is complete.

Northbank Riverwalk Extension

Construction is nearing completion on the one block extension of the Northbank Riverwalk to East Bay Street. Riverwalk Images courtesy of Metro Jacksonville forum member Noone.

1 2 3 NEXT

Noone

August 30, 2012, 05:41:15 AM
Nice update. Again you have left out the almost completed Riverwalk connection by Berkman up to Bay St. Look at how narrow the walkway is.

August 30, 2012, 06:52:50 AM
Yeah, I missed that sidewalk.  The next time you're down there, snap a shot and email it.  I'll upload it to the thread.

Noone

August 30, 2012, 07:23:00 AM
Just sent you some recent pics. Thanks for posting.

August 30, 2012, 07:41:54 AM
Thanks.  I just added these three to the article.

ben says

August 30, 2012, 08:02:08 AM
Well...Pulp #2 has taken, what, a year? Two? Can't imagine it's even worth opening up anymore.

Keith-N-Jax

August 30, 2012, 08:19:09 AM
EverBank sinage looks so much better that At&t. San Marco really imo has some of the best landscape areas in the city. The NorthBank River Walk down Berkman is very nice, just imagine that area once the shipyards are fully developed. As usual nice update.

vicupstate

August 30, 2012, 08:32:50 AM

Fuddrucker's in the Landing took a long time too, but it was worth it, right?

CG7

August 30, 2012, 08:45:22 AM
Didn't the Landing and quite a few other property owners get a Laura Street facade grant? Does anyone know when any of the projects will start?

Captain Zissou

August 30, 2012, 09:13:39 AM
Where were RAP's soccer moms when Scott McAlister traded out parking for a patio??  Kay hates him with a passion; I'm surprised she didn't chain herself to the street in protest.  I think his new patio looks great and it adds some much needed outdoor seating to the 'hood.  Other than the Casbah, Mossfire, and the Brick ( sort of) there is almost nowhere in Riverside/Avondale to get a drink and some sun at the same time. That being said.......

I CAN'T WAIT FOR BLACK SHEEP!!!!!!!!!!  That area is actually starting to look like a neighborhood that you'd see in a big boy city.  I hope 5 points continues to develop into a higher density neighborhood that can show Jacksonville what we are capable of all throughout the core.

The Landing now has a tattoo parlor........................?????

avonjax

August 30, 2012, 09:32:57 AM
Yes, I find a tattoo parlor an odd addition. In 5 Points it seems normal but the Landing? Kind of a desperate reach for tenants to me. Maybe I don't get around much.

comncense

August 30, 2012, 09:42:07 AM
I can't imagine saying "I'm going to the Landing to get a tattoo"

finehoe

August 30, 2012, 09:47:54 AM
...a neighborhood that you'd see in a big boy city.

LOL.  I like that.

jaxlore

August 30, 2012, 09:51:37 AM
Dig the picks of the North Bank Riverwalk! Looks good.... I can totally see people at the Landing being like "Oh honey lets get a matching gator tattoos". I will say tattoo shop's are almost as popular as beer bars at the moment.

blizz01

August 30, 2012, 10:32:51 AM
I can't imagine saying "I'm going to the Landing to get a tattoo"
  Haha - Wait 'til Florida / Georgia weekend...

duvaldude08

August 30, 2012, 10:45:54 AM
I was wondering if they ever started the work on the riverwalk. Anyone know when they will start construction on the southbank? And I agree about EVerbank. That signage looks great! I know awhile back the owner of the building was stating they were adding some new lighting to the building. Did that ever happen?

urbaknight

August 30, 2012, 10:50:27 AM
great just what we need, a chance for more pretty women ruining their girlyness with some tats! I just don't like seeing tattoos all over their arms. It doesn't attract me.

finehoe

August 30, 2012, 10:54:36 AM
Tattoos are passé.  It figures the Landing would jump on the bandwagon once the trend had run its course.  Look for the new Landing Craft Beer Emporium to open in 2018.

urbaknight

August 30, 2012, 11:03:40 AM
I hope that it has run it's course. It's hard enough for me to find a girl around here that would even consider thinking about possibly entertaining the idea of even humoring me with a date without laughing so hard that they puke. So I have to be attracted to them too, see my problem? It's sad, but I'm real about it. And I have to own it.

exnewsman

August 30, 2012, 12:31:38 PM
What ever happened with the project that was coming to what was once the Park View Inn?

duvaldude08

August 30, 2012, 12:33:59 PM

After the demolition, they made it very clear we would not see anything happening at that site for a year or two. Demolition was phase one. Its gonna be awhile before they get to phase two.

August 30, 2012, 02:28:43 PM

I know what you mean, they DON'T turn me on either. I knew a chick named Jackie, in Fresno, back in the day. Jackie was the on again - off again 'property' of a friend who rode with the Hells Angels. She went to Nevada after our infamous 'beer in Yosemite Run,' and got a tattoo of: 'The Last Supper,' on her left breast, which she'd display to anyone interested... I heard from one of my old, um, 'gardening' understudies that today, it looks like the 'Final Buffet'.

Captain Zissou

August 30, 2012, 02:33:34 PM

And this is why Ock needs to write or commission a biography.

Bill Hoff

August 30, 2012, 06:09:49 PM
The fencing around the new VA complex is a bit excessive. That area is obviously more sketchy/not as safe as the SPR historic district, but still, the jail-like bars aren't warranted. Chest high would work just fine. Although, if you look diagonally from the VA, the low-income apartments have the same exact fencing. Guess that took their cue from them.

ben says

August 30, 2012, 08:35:27 PM

Agree completely

August 30, 2012, 09:13:21 PM

how about a tattoo parlor at the Avenues Mall?

guess what, there is one!

JeffreyS

August 30, 2012, 09:16:32 PM
Touristy areas often have tattoo parlors.  The emerging nightlife scene downtown plays into it as well.

Captain Zissou

August 31, 2012, 09:36:31 AM
Is the riverwalk going to continue along the river at any point??  Should we now call it the river/bay street walk?

pwhitford

August 31, 2012, 09:48:55 AM
" ...the former Bakery Moderne " ?!?!?   WTF?!?!? What is happening at Bakery Moderne?  Are they leaving?  Can I go with them?  Jeez, I go away for a couple of months and all hell breaks lose.

And those pictures of the Northbank extension: Nice, sweeping, majestic view of .... the county lock-up.  Pretty lighting, attractive landscaping, very inviting.

And finally: The Landing.  A tattoo parlor in what used to be billed as downtown's only family destination.

Sometimes in this place, the irony abounds to such a degree it hurts my head.

PeeJayEss

August 31, 2012, 10:00:09 AM

Sometimes in this place, the irony abounds to such a degree it hurts my head.

Bakery Moderne will apparently be doing wholesale and special orders only. Don't know the exact details, but guessing they are moving somewhere with a lower rent since they don't need prime retail space.

I imagine the Landing began to realize that being a 'family destination' was not working out particularly well for them in downtown Jax. I don't think a tattoo parlor precludes families from going to the place (as I also don't think tattoos are only obtained by bikers, rockers, and pirates anymore) just as I don't think the family restaurant Hooters precludes families from going to the Landing. I applaud the approach of the Landing towards smaller, more diverse store fronts over waiting and holding out for some big chain that will never materialize. The management of the Landing seems to 'get it' lately. They are apparently actively seeking boutique operations and being very accommodating to those they attract. The influx of new, small businesses is great. River City Gourmet is a fantastic shop. I hope they get more business than they can handle so that they can develop into Jax's own, home-grown Trader Joe's. Don't need big chains if we support our own small biz's. Check it out and have a taste test of olive oils and vinegars. Its a trip.

Other things about this update:
Worman's went quick. Shame.

2216 Oak - awesome! Good to see something coming from that.

Sad to see Bakery Moderne's retail storefront go, but TRes Leche's is an exciting development. Will be good to see that area with more consistent activity. 2 restaurants and a coffee shop open late.

I'm quite confident I have traveled the entire length of I-95 and I believe the walkway between the hospital buildings is unique. sure, there are walkways, but a private building connector that is so prominent? I don't think so... We should hang banners on it for travelers to see. If people coming back from Disney on Saturday knew what was going on under the bridge they were crossing (RAM), maybe they'd stop by and have a look.

Didn't realize they were doing work on the Riverwalk, but same question as Captain. Its hard to tell from the pics where its headed. It heads along the marina in front of the unfinished Berkman...and then there is another path up to Bay at Catherine St? I'm assuming it doesn't tie into the bulkhead on the Shipyards property, but isn't that property somewhat open to public access now (with the trees and all). Seems like it would be pretty easy to just tie into the pacement on the bulkhead (granted, there wouldn't be railings and such, and humans can't be trusted to not jump in the river).

August 31, 2012, 10:07:10 AM

Frankly, it's a waste of money.  It picks up where the Riverwalk ends at Berkman II and then connects it to the sidewalk on Bay Street.  It does not extend on to the bulkheads along the shipyards property (meaning that if the Riverwalk finally extends all the way to Metro Park, which is the plan, this will have been an unneccessary sidewalk).  Furthermore who wants to walk besides an empty, detoriating shell of a building?  Want another reason it's a waste of money?  Well here's the biggest reason... you can already connect to the Bay Street sidewalk from the Riverwalk about 60 feet earlier at Berkman Plaza(aka Berkman I).

Btw, the bulkheads are not accessible to the public.  There is a fence along the waterway that seperates the concrete bulkheads to the rest of the sodded property.

August 31, 2012, 10:17:20 AM
I agree with fieldafm.  We would have been better off spending that money on actually extending the riverwalk over the completed bulkhead and making a connection to the existing pier as originally planned.

PeeJayEss

August 31, 2012, 10:29:54 AM

Thanks for the clarification Field. I couldn't recall if the part in front of Berkman II had already been done or not, but yea, thats a bit silly to just extend it up to Bay. It would only take a couple feet of walkway to get it on the bulkhead...

Continuing on the Riverwalk, Bayshore Blvd in Tampa claims to be the world's longest continuous sidewalk at 4.5 miles. While a dubious distinction, what is the possibility of Jax's Northbank Riverwalk giving this one a run for its money? As it currently exists, it is just a hair under 2 miles long (not counting the extra of twirly-whirly on the east of the railroad overpass - also I'm not sure how this might effect the 'continuity' of the 'sidewalk'). If you extend it through the shipyards property and connect into Met Park ,that puts it a bit over 3 miles.

I don't know the status of the land beyond Met Park, but I'll say its private for arguments sake. At the other end, you also have private river-fronting property. It starts with Cummer, which doesn't seem like it would be too hard to bring into the fold. You've got the hospital at the far end, which is already done, Memorial Park in the middle (already done), then River Blvd and Lancaster Terrace where the bulkhead should be pretty easy (right of way-wise) to continue the riverwalk. Beyond this it is 5 condo towers, 1 apartment tower, a couple commercial business (offices), and 1 private property (right next to Villa Riva). I would think you can make a pretty compelling argument for the benefit of the riverwalk to the condos and apartments and even the offices. Villa Riva may be a difficult one. And I'd imagine the residence wouldn't want 'the people' walking through their 'front yard,' but isn't that front yard held in place by publicly maintained bulkheads? All you'd have is some slightly less-private docks at the condos, apts, and house (and its pretty easy to put a locked gate on these. In fact, they already have them for the most part.

Voila! You have a riverwalk that is about 4.5 miles, and connects Riverside up to King St to Downtown past the stadium, and gets us a little blurb for besting Tampa if we come in over 4.5. Maybe its naive or pie-in-the-sky, but...think its possible?

Captain Zissou

August 31, 2012, 10:42:45 AM
I don't know that you will ever get beyond memorial park with the R-Walk.  Villas of St Johns, A hedge fund, Villa Riva, and that private residence would probably take issue with the riverwalk passing through their backyards.  My hope is Memorial Park to Metro Park and a line down Hogan's Creek to Springfield.  We could have bike and kayak rentals at the 3 points and develop our eco-tourism and recreation offerings.  If the sidewalk is shaped like a Y that is 5 miles in total does that count?

August 31, 2012, 10:49:17 PM
We're all playing 'sidewalk supervisor' here, but for the sake of argument what if we (the city) laid out the Riverwalk from the edge of the shipyard under the Hart Bridge, all the way to St. Vincent's. In those area's where private property prevents a landslide walk, we show it (in drawings at least - if you get my drift) circling out over the water like a bridge, with lights, benches, and a gazebo or two, right around those private properties. We could tell the land owners 'Hey such a deal... you'll be allowed to build out and connect to the bridge portion and install a privacy gate. Don't want to do that? Okay, option 2 is we build it above the seawall across your lot and it costs you NOTHING, and you get a portion of a few million dollars in landscaping for free.

"...These things must be done delicately...or you hurt the spell!." (M. Hamilton AKA: The Wicked Witch of the West)

August 31, 2012, 10:55:39 PM
That's what Peyton basically proposed a few years ago when he wanted to extend the riverwalk to Memorial Park.  The couple of residents on the river didn't want anything to do with it.

RockStar

September 01, 2012, 04:27:08 AM
Regarding the "tattoo shop" at the Landing, I'm financing the project, so let me clear a couple of things up. A more accurate description would be that it is more of an art gallery and retail space with tattooing as well. It's easy to see "tattoo" shop, and imagine a traditional, flash on the wall shop, but that's not it. What we're trying to do is fill a void at the Landing; the lack of anything cool or edgy. We'll be selling local art, having showings and bringing in guest artists as well.

Is it a gamble? Sure. I'm not delusional about the challenges involved with the Landing, but you'd be surprised at the changes going on there. Besides, if we don't try to make it better, it won't just happen magically. It's the independent businesses that will save downtown, not Fuddruckers.

Wait to see what we do, then tell me it's not a good addition to the Landing.

~j.

September 01, 2012, 07:06:36 AM
^Good luck, RockStar.  I wish you success on your new endeavor.

September 01, 2012, 08:51:00 AM
+1. Good luck RockStar.

JFman00

September 01, 2012, 09:01:51 AM

Wait to see what we do, then tell me it's not a good addition to the Landing.

~j.

That's a lot more exciting than what I had in mind when I heard "tattoo shop at the Landing". Best of luck.

Overstreet

September 01, 2012, 10:12:47 AM
My cousin, Debbie,  used to get paid very well for her original art designs for tattoos.  The proof pages she did would qualify as art.

duvaldude08

September 01, 2012, 10:25:29 AM

Wait to see what we do, then tell me it's not a good addition to the Landing.

~j.

Great to hear!

Adam W

September 01, 2012, 10:36:40 AM

Wait to see what we do, then tell me it's not a good addition to the Landing.

~j.

Good for you. People can talk shit about it, but it's good to see you're opening a business in the Landing. It's great news and might really add something to the mall.

Noone

September 01, 2012, 07:41:55 PM

Wait to see what we do, then tell me it's not a good addition to the Landing.

~j.

Man, I wish you all the best.

Do you think you could ink up my kayak if I brought it in to you?

On a side note check and see if you get free parking. Like the TU Metro headline today says. "Panel balances city budget - with tricks"