Metro Jacksonville explores the modern version of the Isle of Ortega: Ortega Forest.
The neighborhood of Ortega Forest was a section of Jacksonville, which comprised part of a large plantation that was named Ortega in 1804. The original Ortega subdivision was platted in 1909 by the Ortega Company headed by John N.C. Stockton (1857-1922), but it was not until 1946 that the development of Ortega Forest began during the post-War migration to the suburbs. Built in 1955, the school was named for Mr. Stockton, who is best remembered for his devoted public service. He worked tirelessly distributing relief finds during the yellow fever epidemic of 1888, chaired the Board of Public Works through the financial crisis of 1893 and after the Great Fire of 1901, and often gave of his time and means to his fellow citizens.
This cobblestone bridge connects Ortega Island with the rest of Ortega Forest. Platted in the late 1980s, Ortega Island is home to 15 residences along the Ortega River.
Photo tour by Ennis Davis