Monday, July 28, 2014

Downtown Gas Station Plans Revised

Conceptual plans have been modified to better integrate a proposed gas station and convenience store along Main Street. If approved, this gas station will include a cafe/restaurant with outdoor dining and serving areas along Union and Main Streets.

Published April 29, 2010 in Development      47 Comments    Open printer friendly version of this article Print Article

Site Plan

The site plan shows the building located at the property lines on the frontage of Main Street and Union Street with the canopy and gas pumps to the north of the building facing Main Street and State Street. Plans also indicate the the gas station will be designed to include a cafe and outdoor seating patio at the corner of Main & Union Streets.

Project Renderings

Perspective rendering looking from Union Street.

A view of the convenience store's west elevation.

The Main Street elevation features a walk up window for the cafe along the sidewalk.

The Union Street elevation includes an entrance to the cafe and covered outdoor patio area.

SW view from Main Street. The gas station's pump and parking area will be partially shielded from Main Street with the use of fencing and landscaping.

Rear view of the project from State Street

Rear view of the project from State Street

The original plan, which has since been revised to include pedestrian friendly features.

Although insignificant in the grand scheme of things, the revised site plan for this proposed gas station illustrates how even automobile oriented uses can be planned to better fit within pedestrian friendly urban oriented settings.

Development update by Ennis Davis

CS Foltz

April 29, 2010, 06:45:37 AM
Makes me wonder if they have "SPAR Council" approval?

April 29, 2010, 06:56:50 AM
No, its not in Springfield.  Nevertheless, no one does.  Just follow the adopted zoning codes and regulations and you'll be fine.

sheclown

April 29, 2010, 07:20:07 AM
Bring it on!!  New construction is a great sign and brings hope of recovery.

Doctor_K

April 29, 2010, 08:56:04 AM
Bring it on!!  New construction is a great sign and brings hope of recovery.

Concur!  Baby steps, and in the right direction.

aubureck

April 29, 2010, 09:05:53 AM
I definitely like the redesign so much better than the original proposal!

JoeMerchant

April 29, 2010, 09:12:41 AM
It's not really pushing any boundaries with the design, but there is not a "back" of the building, which is a plus.

It's pretty ho-hum, but we'd be one less empty lot in downtown.

copperfiend

April 29, 2010, 09:25:45 AM
Seems like a good step.

April 29, 2010, 09:32:31 AM
I agree...and think it is quite nice for a gas station...I can't think of too many that have put the building (note tha plans say convenient store not convenience store) against the street with window walls.

Plus it appears to be a BP, which makes me doubly happy!

Miss Fixit

April 29, 2010, 09:46:54 AM
Walk up cafe and outdoor seating is cool!

April 29, 2010, 10:31:27 AM
I think for what it is, the plans are pretty nice... much better than the original plans.

Captain Zissou

April 29, 2010, 10:40:59 AM
Drastic improvement.  Sure it's not amazing, but if we continue to make new developments be designed in a way that is pedestrian friendly, we'll eventually have a great DT.

Is that ivey growing on the fence of the 'patio'??  If so, that's a nice touch.

April 29, 2010, 11:44:00 AM
wow. wonder what kind of restaurant it will be Chili's, a seafood restaurant, or some version of an Irsih Pub?

April 29, 2010, 11:50:34 AM
Probably fast food or a sandwich shop.

JoeMerchant

April 29, 2010, 11:56:34 AM
I could see a good doughnut shop in that spot, like the one on university boulevard, north of Arlington Expressway

blizz01

April 29, 2010, 12:22:10 PM
What's there now?

ChriswUfGator

April 29, 2010, 12:35:20 PM
What's there now?

Well it's downtown...so if I had to take a stab in the dark, I'd say there's at least a 90% chance it's a vacant lot.

April 29, 2010, 12:36:28 PM
man you guys are smart! haha

TheProfessor

April 29, 2010, 05:04:20 PM
It is an empty lot now.  The only nice thing is the palm tree on the corner.

blizz01

April 29, 2010, 06:20:35 PM
Well, maybe they'll save it.... ;)

Sportmotor

April 29, 2010, 08:56:36 PM
Sweet deal, I hope this doesnt take to long

ProjectMaximus

April 29, 2010, 09:03:40 PM
This will serve FSCJ's Downtown campus and all the folks waiting for buses at the main terminal, yeah? Not a bad idea.

Has anyone tried the hot dogs from that vendor on the south side of the bus station?

April 29, 2010, 09:37:01 PM
I have not, but I have tried the hot dogs from the vendor on the north side of the station.

ProjectMaximus

April 30, 2010, 12:23:15 AM

oh, i didnt know he had competition. I always head down Union so I dont see the other side. How are those, lake?

JaxNative68

April 30, 2010, 01:49:12 PM
why do i get the feeling that the "cafe" will end up a typical subway sandwich shop like the one off gate parkway within the shell station.

iluvolives

April 30, 2010, 02:19:59 PM
That Subway gets crazy busy at lunch time.

April 30, 2010, 02:22:51 PM
Update:

The board also gave final approval for the 200-foot floating dock on the Northbank Riverwalk near the Fuller Warren Bridge, approved parking and landscaping zoning variances for a residence converted into an office at 432 E. Monroe St. and approved the conceptual plan for a combination gas station, convenience store and cafe on Main Street between State and Union streets.

finehoe

April 30, 2010, 02:32:50 PM
Plus it appears to be a BP, which makes me doubly happy!

To make it easier to boycott?

CS Foltz

April 30, 2010, 03:20:28 PM
No offense kids but one more convience store/gas station is not of the core stores needed to revitilize the downtown area! We need more than another quickie mart!

April 30, 2010, 03:25:48 PM
No offense taken.  However, there is no large one trick pony to revitalize the urban core.  Success will be found, filling vacant lots with viable uses one block and building at a time.

CS Foltz

April 30, 2010, 03:34:00 PM
lake I have to agree............one brick at a time does make sense. But I wish there was a more specific organized overall vision from someone!! If this is done one block at a time, the chance of progressive and a cohesive downtown makeover is small! I can go with one block at a time but the City does not have a vision and I can see problems trying to co-ordinate something viable and integrated................city could not plan its way out of a phone booth if it had to! I base this thought on what has taken place to this point in time and what I have seen taking place!

April 30, 2010, 04:09:19 PM
Its a bad idea to attempt to dictate specific uses for private property in an urban area.  That's something the market should control.  While we certainly need a vision for public property and connectivity, I think the vision for the development of private property, must be to make sure that these projects are laid out in a walkable/urban manner.  If that can happen, along with implementing a vision for public property and infrastructure, a cohesive atmosphere will develop.

ChriswUfGator

April 30, 2010, 04:12:42 PM
Dammit we need more parking meters everywhere is what we need...

Stephen and I were in Gainesville the other day, and their downtown was thriving and packed with people walking all over the place. We both shook our heads in absolute amazement, when there wasn't a single parking meter to be found anywhere.

I mean, they're obviously screwing the whole place up, and so we're writing a letter to their city commission telling them to get on the ball with this.

April 30, 2010, 08:51:54 PM
actually Gainesville's downtown has struggled quite a bit over the last 20 years...during the day, it is supported by government offices (just like our downtown)....and at night, someparts are popular w/ the college kids.

That said, I think I remember paying for parking (via meter) as recently as last year.

CS Foltz

May 01, 2010, 07:00:31 AM
lake I do agree! Walkability should be a major element of any downtown remake! That in itself is a requirement that any downtown should be foremost in any vision! Then continue from there!

BridgeTroll

May 01, 2010, 01:18:28 PM
My guess is BP is unlikely to be building anything new in the near future if they manage to survive this gulf oil disaster.

Lunican

May 02, 2010, 10:35:47 AM
Does BP own gas stations or are they franchises with individual owners?

CS Foltz

May 02, 2010, 11:55:03 AM
Lunican...................leases or franchises, BP goes both ways! Either way that episode in the Gulf will cost them for sure! I just can't believe they did not have any options to select from in the event of a disaster occurance!

Mattius92

May 03, 2010, 12:39:28 PM
It looks more like a Hess, with the green and white paint scheme. BP is green and like yellow I believe. Also I am sure they are franchises and whoever is investing in this project could very well look for someone other then BP is needed. I am sure any gas company would like to get business in downtown Jacksonville, especially since we apparently love to drive.

JaxByDefault

May 03, 2010, 12:43:24 PM
Sadly, I'm continuing to buy BP gas. I want to make sure they pay every damn dime owed for messing up the coast and bay around my family's home.
I'm shocked it's not a Gate built on land with some huge tax rebate, development incentive, or guaranteed revenue contract.

Timkin

May 10, 2010, 10:38:42 PM
Nice to see something new in that area. Now I know what the lot next to the Funeral home is going to house.   If the Parkview development happens and that Ghetto Shell station across the street goes , it may actually be an attractive area again.  Nice rendering .

May 10, 2010, 11:19:02 PM
If this project and the Park View proposal comes through, this corner will look completely different (for the better of course).  The presence of both could also spur additional infill and redevelopment projects.

9a is my backyard

May 10, 2010, 11:28:41 PM
Definitely.  Plus they could both be positioned well to take advantage of the economy if it continues its slow recovery

Timkin

May 11, 2010, 12:57:32 AM
It is a start.  That is a good thing

May 12, 2010, 11:45:46 AM
nothing makes this place any different.  TUFSU is just weirdly autoeroticized by the idea of people paying money to slide into a spot with a big pole sticking out of the ground.

Maybe its the fact that they eventually all get disciplined.

;)

ChriswUfGator

May 12, 2010, 11:45:57 AM

I started UF in 1999 and there were no parking meters downtown. I go back regularly and there are still no parking meters downtown. Not sure where you parked, maybe closer to campus? I know UF loved handing out their parking tickets, but then they have a captive audience, unlike private businesses, so they know they can get away with it.

There are no meters downtown that I know of. I'll take a pic for you next time, I'm over there pretty regularly. My mother has lived in Gainesville since birth and my grandparents have lived there since the 1940's, I'm not exactly unfamiliar with the place. My grandfather owns an office building downtown, there have never been any meters near it.

Also, Gainesville's downtown has nothing Jacksonville's doesn't, it's just a city hall and the courthouse, and it's all on a muuuuuuuuuuuch smaller scale than here, yet there are 10X more people walking around there than there are here, at any given hour. FWIW, this was night/evening when we were there, well past closing time for government offices. At 8pm, everyone there is just there for fun. And this was just the restaurant crowd, that's before the bars even get busy.

I still don't think meters are a solution to anything. Despite the large crowd, we found parking easily (and for free) within a block or two of the restaurant (dragonfly). All the arguments for meters kind of seem to go out the window when you analyze how everything runs over there.

Downtown Gvl did suffer blight like our downtown, in the 80's and early 90's, but that was before my time there. The whole time I lived there, and in the years since, it's usually always busy when you go downtown. So how come we need all these parking meters, when cities with less available parking and more pedestrian traffic seem to be doing a lot better without them?

Looking at all the "rebirth" stories out of MJ's series on other cities, it seems like a common theme in bringing back urban areas was scrapping parking meters. What makes this place so different?

May 12, 2010, 01:06:34 PM

Maybe its the fact that they eventually all get disciplined.

;)

all I can say is wow!

ChriswUfGator

May 12, 2010, 03:07:52 PM

Maybe its the fact that they eventually all get disciplined.

;)

all I can say is wow!

LMAO, ok, you gotta admit that was pretty funny...