Thursday, October 23, 2014

Uptown Market and City Kidz Grand Opening

This weekend, Saturday October 17th, Uptown Market and City Kidz Ice Cream will be celebrating their grand opening at Third and Main in Springfield.

Published October 15, 2009 in Dining & Nightlife      50 Comments    Open printer friendly version of this article Print Article

Both City Kidz and Uptown Market will be celebrating their Grand Opening with a FREE barbecue including beef hot dogs, Black Angus Burgers, chicken wings, and potato salad.

Inside the new Uptown Market at Third and Main

Inside the new City Kidz Ice Cream Cafe

Your Official Grand Opening Invitation:

Third & Main Street Official Grand Opening Barbecue
1303 N. Main Street, Jacksonville, FL 32206

This special event will commemorate the opening of the first new mixed use commercial complex building  in Historic Springfield, Jacksonville, Florida in over 40 years:

Saturday October 17, 2009 is "Third & Main" Family & Friends Day from 12-7pm the festivities will includes a free barbecue, children activities, face painting, vendors, community updates, and a tour of the complex.

The festivities do not stop on Saturday Uptown Market & Deli restaurant will be hosting a Jazz Trio on Sunday October 18, 2009 and City Kidz Ice Cream & Café Restaurant will be offering all sorts of menu discounts.

All free food is serve on a first come basis and festivities starts at 12:00PM.

Third and Main is a project that has been closely watched by Metro Jacksonville over the past two years.

Third and Main broke ground in May of 2007.

June 2008

September 2008

November 2008

June 2009

Come out this weekend to celebrate the grand opening of two new Springfield businesses.

JaxBorn1962

October 15, 2009, 06:23:22 AM
Good!

tpot

October 15, 2009, 07:09:08 AM
This place is awesome!! Great breakfast, lunch and dinner!!!

Abhishek

October 15, 2009, 07:15:27 AM
The food is excellent. I have only had breakfast on Saturday mornings. The 8 am wait staff on Saturday mornings have a tiny bit to mature. Other than that, it is a very good experience. I like the large windows, the mini grocery store and the minimalist feel. The frittata and home fries are phenomenal. Bring an appetite.

fsu813

October 15, 2009, 08:33:03 AM
Chicken & Waffles is soon to come to City Kidz. A California favorite.

Thier ice cream is good too. Had a float last week.

Captain Zissou

October 15, 2009, 09:26:46 AM
Unfortunately I'll be out of town this weekend, but the posts above have made my stomach growl.  I'll be there next Saturday fo' sho'

October 15, 2009, 09:33:06 AM
I'll be there. Our businesses need all the support they can get.

Uptown Market

October 15, 2009, 11:29:08 AM
Couple quick things:
Free wine tasting pairing Friday from 6pm to 9pm. Music by Thomas Love.
Free Burgers and Beer Saturday from 4pm to 7pm. Music by Carrie Location.
Jazz Brunch (not free) but Free Mimosas Sunday starts at 8am to 3pm.

Regular hours all three days and more info updated all day at http://uptownmarketjax.com

thanks for the love.

Uptown Market

October 15, 2009, 11:50:36 AM
Also, this is is a celebration of City Kidz too. The best ice cream in the hood. Make sure to bring the family all day Saturday as they have a lot of fun stuff in store too!

October 15, 2009, 11:56:02 AM
Free Burgers and Beer Saturday from 4pm to 7pm.

City Kidz will be serving free burgers, hotdogs and chicken wings beginning at 12 Noon on Saturday.  So it looks like people can hang out all day at 3rd & Main.

Springfield Girl

October 15, 2009, 04:47:57 PM
I have been craving the crepes all week. I hope to go for breakfast tommorrow. Love the Uptown Market!!

sheclown

October 15, 2009, 05:23:04 PM
Great places for Main.  Good pretzel cones.  We're so glad you are here.

Dark Knight

October 15, 2009, 05:34:57 PM
Hey , Sheclown its about time you treated to lunch again soon. I hope you are feeling better , we need you !!!!!!!!!

October 19, 2009, 09:50:24 PM
Here are a few images from this past weekend.

fsu813

October 23, 2009, 03:23:51 PM
another great article on Uptown in today's paper:

Jacksonville, we may have arrived at a social media moment. Recently, I found out via Twitter, the 140-character shout out that has many of us involved in an unnatural relationship with our phones, that a restaurant had opened its doors.

It was the very hip Uptown Market & Deli announcing its arrival at Main and Third streets via tweets. In addition to the original updates, the restaurant staff posts featured entrees on Twitter, with photos to whet your appetite. Pay attention, restaurant people: This is called marketing.

It is just gorgeous out right now, and it wasn't difficult to grab some co-workers and head Uptown for lunch outdoors. While the inside is airy and bright, with concrete floors and an open kitchen, it is hard to resist those outside tables.

We opted for lunch, and I started with a very good Tomato Basil Soup with garlic croutons. It hit that perfect spot between fresh and creamy, with the fresh basil really amping up the flavor.

On my first visit, I loved my generous Market Chop Salad ($8.50). The mixed greens were crisp and layered with roasted turkey, cucumbers, tomatoes, red onions, bacon and a spicy tomato-sesame dressing. I asked for and received several fresh slices of avocado - with no extra charge.

(contined at link)

JeffreyS

October 23, 2009, 03:26:28 PM
Has anyone tried the crepes I would love to here how they were.

blizz01

October 25, 2009, 02:42:40 PM
Has anyone tried the crepes I would love to here how they were.

I would too!  We went to Uptown Market today for breakfast, however, to our dismay, they didn't have the crepes.  I opted for the breakfast burrito & now I'm torn between theirs vs. Metro Diner's.  If I had remembered that City Kidz had Chicken & Waffles, we would have gone straight there, but we did pop in for dessert.  I can't wait to go back.  Both are great additions.

October 25, 2009, 10:30:48 PM
Mention Metro Jacksonville this week at City Kidz and receive a 15% discount on anything purchased!

From an email sent earlier today

Receive 15% discount on your purchase all this week must mention Metro Jacksonville for City Kidz to honor discount.

October 25, 2009, 11:10:16 PM
I don't know if you can do this with the Metro Jacksonville discount but maybe its worth a try.

Dear Preferred Customers & Guest:

Read below how you can have lunch on us!

Purchase a sandwich and drink and receive a City Kidz $10.00 gift card AT NO ADDITIONAL COST.

Purchase lunch at City Kidz on and Monday, 10/26/09 and receive a free City Kidz Preferred Customer Convenience Gift Card.  This offer is only good during lunch hours between 11-2pm limited one gift card person.  Call ahead of time to place your order for pick-up.

Do not forget to check the results of our recent food review conducted by Taste Casters @ www.eatjax.com

City Kidz Ice Cream Cafe & Restaurant located at 3rd & Main Street, 1303 N. Main Street, Jacksonville, FL 32206.
(904) 598-5115

Lunican

October 29, 2009, 10:07:52 AM
I think I will try the discount tonight.

Lunican

October 31, 2009, 11:31:15 AM
I had the Chicken Panini, which was really good. Also, they said they will be extending the discount through this weekend for FL/GA.

October 31, 2009, 11:50:26 AM
I had peach cobbler the other day.  It was pretty good.  I'm about to ride my bike through Springfield to get some pics for a future article, so maybe I'll stop by and take advantage of this discount before it expires.

fsu813

November 12, 2009, 07:58:58 AM
I noticed that MetroJax readers get a 15% discount this week at City Kidz for simply mentioning MJ.

I'll have to take advantage of that tonight.

November 12, 2009, 08:24:40 AM
I believe that expired last week and we have not updated the ad.  Nevertheless, ask them about it.  They just might give it to you.

GENTRY

November 12, 2009, 08:38:08 AM
I've lived in Springfield for just over thirteen years and welcomed City Kidz like every new positive enterprise. Given a few more years you will find that Springfield South of 8th St. will rival the Five Points or San Marco Square areas. All we need is more vision and faith in ourselves, others and our elected officials. Okay let's go eat.

Reaper man

November 23, 2009, 06:11:00 AM
After getting some money from one of the clients I worked with last friday, I decided to give Uptown Market a quick look.  I must say, if you haven't tried the Turkey Sandwich with the avocado and sun dried tomato mayo, stop what you're doing, get over there and buy one, you won't regret it.  It is one of the best deli sandwiches I have had in a long time.  Afterwords I went to City Kidz.  They offered me the bourbon chocolate cake. I had it later after I went to the pearl. It was pretty good, though I couldn't really taste the bourbon at all (probably because I had been drinking a lot that night, sooooo yeah)  the owner (I think he was the owner?) gave me a menu, and I must say, their sandwiches as well look rather delicious, so I may have to have lunch there sometime (as well as maybe a float or something to go along with it, haha)

I'd personally highly recommend either place. :>

vicupstate

November 23, 2009, 08:07:35 AM
So how are these places doing post grand opening?   Well, I hope.  Any word from the onwers on how it is going versus expectations?

iluvolives

November 23, 2009, 10:08:39 AM
I went to lunch at Uptown 2-3 weeks ago and every table was full and there was even a short line that had formed at the time I was leaving. I was really impressed with their sandwiches and hope that it continues to stay busy.

fsu813

January 07, 2010, 10:32:49 AM
Good 1 page article about Bill Cesery and Third & Main in the Nov/Dec issue of Access (the COC magazine).

Among other things, it mentions that The Library renovation will begin this month sometime......

Also, City Kidz sends out emails to customers.....and the latest one details (with pics) how Mr. Cesery had a financial/real estate literacy workshop for neighborhood kids recently. The pics looked really fun. It's good to hear how he's giving back in that way.

brainstormer

July 08, 2010, 08:38:44 PM
I stopped by around 6pm today to pick up dinner and all of Uptown was locked and dark!  Anyone know what's going on?  No sign on the door or anything.  I ended up making dinner myself :(

RockStar

July 08, 2010, 09:21:35 PM
I heard they were closing the Market side...

9a is my backyard

July 08, 2010, 09:23:57 PM
I stopped by around 6pm today to pick up dinner and all of Uptown was locked and dark!  Anyone know what's going on?  No sign on the door or anything.  I ended up making dinner myself :(

Uptown announced just a week or two ago they were going to stop having dinner: http://theurbancoredotcom.blogspot.com/2010/06/breaking-news-next-friday-night-will-be.html

brainstormer

July 08, 2010, 10:13:44 PM
^ Thanks, I was on vacation for 2 1/2 weeks and missed the announcement.  I'm sad to see the dinner option go but hopefully they will open up something else downtown in the near future.

Ron Mexico

July 08, 2010, 10:36:35 PM
Why are they not serving dinner any longer?  I thought they were doing well.  Is it the location?

July 08, 2010, 10:46:59 PM
That sucks.  They had pretty good take home dinners.

July 08, 2010, 11:12:21 PM
On one of my recent bike rides, I road up to Uptown for lunch and they mentioned they would be stopping takeout dinner services.... but only temporarily while they were undergoing some changes.  The person I spoke with made a point to emphasizedthe temporarily part.

alta

July 09, 2010, 01:15:57 AM

Opened last week at 4th and Market.  Tried it for lunch twice this week.  Good food.  Reasonable prices.  Great service.

Keith-N-Jax

October 11, 2010, 08:18:20 AM
Had friends in town this weekend from Atlanta and took them to uptown, really nice place. It was my first visit also and I will certainly be going back. Great food, great service. They really liked the springfield area, mainly the historic houses. Just thought I'd share.

Coolyfett

October 11, 2010, 11:50:43 AM
So Springfield is Uptown Jacksonville???

October 11, 2010, 12:39:42 PM
No.  Springfield is Springfield.

letters and numbers

December 22, 2010, 02:34:27 PM
Wow this is an old thread but the only one I could find.
What do you think about the expansion of uptown market? http://www.myspringfield.org/General/changes-coming-to-uptown-market.html I ate there twice and liked it but have a difficult time visualizing the layout of the bar and cover seating. I think it will be good though. This is the sort of thing that I like to see in a developing area!!

December 22, 2010, 02:44:20 PM
Keith most people from outside Jacksonville like Springfield. I had friends visiting one time from Miami and they loved the neighborhood!

dougskiles

January 05, 2011, 01:46:38 PM
We just made the venture from our familiar San Marco establishments to City Kidz for lunch.  It was great!

We had the pleasure of meeting Clinton and Sonya Bush and enjoyed the crab cake sandwich and pizza stacker.  Very tasty - we look forward to going back.

Kiva

January 05, 2011, 02:27:53 PM
You should also try Uptown market, which is next door. Very good breakfasts and lunches. Also at the weekend there is no line, unlike Metro diner!

iloveionia

January 05, 2011, 08:43:05 PM
In order for our Springfield businesses to survive, we need folks like you to venture into our hood and return.  Thank you so very much.

Sonya and Clinton are very, very nice people and run a welcoming and inviting eatery.

dougskiles

January 05, 2011, 09:41:12 PM
And they are so humble, too.  We were actually planning on going to the Uptown Market and were walking past his store (he was outside) from the back parking lot.  We looked inside thinking it was the Market and he mentioned to us that they were a little further down.  We never said that we were looking for the Market but he must have assumed it.  When we saw the delicious looking food on his menu, we asked if he was open for lunch and the rest is history.

We've been to the Market for breakfast and will next time try it for lunch - and then go back over to City Kidz for ice cream!

January 05, 2011, 09:53:00 PM
Btw, Clinton was recently nominated as the president of the Springfield Area Merchants and Business Association (SAMBA).  Look for good things to come out of this group over the next year.

PeeJayEss

March 29, 2013, 11:41:45 AM
Looks like dinner is coming back, along with drinks and some changes to the building. I never saw this post back when it was originally posted, but if you scroll down, you can see the update from the chef:

Re: Changes Coming To Uptown Market -- fsu813
Thursday, 28 March 2013 01:06
By "soon", they meant 2013. : ) Here's an update via Chef Eddy Escriba....

When might dinner service start?

We're thinkng late April, 2013.

What evenings?

We will be open Thurs-Sat 5pm to 10pm extending the hours when we go with a full bar.

Any thoughts on the kinds of food/dishes to be served?

We will continue to bring our creativity, wholesomness and value. We are working on a "modern-southern diner" menu. Comfort food from local farms and smaller purveyors of produce and meats.

We'll have Mayport BBQ shrimp (Louisiana Style), local wild fluonder, roasted Black Hog Farms chicken, and homemade sausage.

Why Now?

We've hired a fulltime GM, we have the landlord's commitment to cover our front veranda to expand sitting capacity.

Opening at night gives us the ability to go after a different buisnes than breakfast and lunch. Opens up other avenues to generate revenue, caterings, large group events and bar will help us become more successful.

March 29, 2013, 11:43:28 AM
Sweet!

blizz01

March 29, 2013, 11:49:10 AM
Whew - At first glance, I thought City Kidz was adding bar service.....

John P

March 29, 2013, 12:41:55 PM
Uptown market does a great job. It will be nice to go there for dinner and bar sometimes.