Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Inside The Five Points Theatre

Jacksonville's first theatre to feature motion pictures with sound is now open again in the middle of Five Points.

Published October 30, 2008 in Development      46 Comments    Open printer friendly version of this article Print Article

History

The 5 Points Theatre Building was built in 1927 and has a long history as a premier venue in Jacksonville. Originally the Riverside Theatre, it was the first theatre in Florida built to show "talkies." The architect, Roy Benjamin, also designed the Florida Theatre and over 200 theatres throughout the Southeast.

The building was remodeled in 1949, and the marquee was added in its current form. Although the marquee was not original, it is considered to be an historic part of the building, and has also been restored. In 1978 the building was covered with stucco an ill-conceived attempt to "modernize" its appearance. During the 80's and 90's the theatre operated as a playhouse and a nightclub.

The theatre building offers retail and office space and has been restored, turning Jacksonville's oldest movie theatre into it's newest. The theatre is also available for private parties and events.

Ticket Prices:

Regular: $8.50

Senior/Student/Military: $7.50

Matinee/Children: $6.50

Theatre Timeline:

March 1927 - Theater opens as the Riverside Theater, showing silent movies

April 1927 - Becomes 3rd theater nationwide to show "talking" movies.  The first movie with sound is Don Juan, starring John Barrymore and Mary Astor.  Tickets cost $1.10 per person.

1949 - After brief closure, theater reopens and renamed the Five Points Theatre.

1977 - Theater closes

Early 1980s - River City Playhouse operates out of the theater space.

1990 - Club 5 opens and becomes a central anchor in the revitalization of Five Points

2004 - Club 5 closes and building undergoes a $4.5 million restoration.

2008 - Five Points Theatre reopens

5 Points Theatre is located at 1025 Park Street, Jacksonville, FL in the heart of Five Points.

For more information visit: www.5pointstheatre.com

Article by Ennis Davis

billy

October 30, 2008, 07:56:56 AM
I saw Journey to the Center of the Earth there, and 2001 years later.

Traveller

October 30, 2008, 08:12:12 AM
Great photos.  Are those church pews in the front?  Nice beer selection as well.  Maybe we can get some Bold City Red in there at some point.  8)

October 30, 2008, 09:38:48 AM
Great article Lake.

Such an amazing structure, and Jack and Lori should be proud of the space.

Turning it back into a movie theater is a pretty brilliant move.  Its affordable entertainment that will draw from all over jacksonville, and provide the same kind of neighborhood feel as the San Marco Theater.

You know, I actually own many of the original seats from the theater (as do many many other riversiders of the 90s.)

Great to see this up and running again.

jacksonvilleconfidential

October 30, 2008, 09:43:17 AM
Anyone interested in checking out the Theatre, click the link below for $2 off admissions and $3 off pitchers until November 7th.

October 30, 2008, 09:53:54 AM
Thanks Jason!

What a great bonus!

Jason

October 30, 2008, 12:25:20 PM
Man, talk about a turn around.  Club 5 really tore that place up.  I'm glad to see it revived to its original granduer (for the most part).

Love the beer selection too!

October 30, 2008, 04:30:24 PM
They certainly did.

The original Club Five actually restored a lot of the space, with the exception of digging up the entire slanted floor and levelling it.

Cliff and John Schultz, Neil Levitsky, Scott and Nancy Foster (the original 'gang of five) really went through great expense and pains to make it beautiful.

It wasnt until Cliff eventually sold it to the ownership group behind Bruce Chambers that the place became a real sweat hog dive.

After that the deterioration of the building was shocking.

heights unknown

October 30, 2008, 05:21:29 PM
Great news and it's about time!!!  I'm proud to say that I went there when it was a theater in the mid and late 70's, River City Playhouse in the 80's, and used to ride by and see the crowds there when it was club 5 in the 1990's.  Now if I am in Jax, I will definitiely take in a movie at Five Points Theater!

Heights Unknown

October 30, 2008, 06:05:01 PM
Welcome back old friend! For me it was "HOW THE WEST WAS WON." 1962.

OCKLAWAHA

deathstar

October 30, 2008, 06:52:59 PM
One of the best venues for bands to play, and I'm still not a fan of it being a theater again. Now, bands get Jackrabbits, Freebird, Plush (maybe?), and other bedroom sized clubs to play at. I'm not looking for approval or agreement with my opinion on the matter, it's just the very place I had been going to since I was 12 years old (94) to see bands perform. SO many memories, all gone.

Coolyfett

October 30, 2008, 07:10:05 PM
I hear ya deathstar....I remember partying at Club 5 to....Looks a lot different now. Looks brighter lol. I can still see the bird cages hanging from the ceiling, the chicks used to dance in on Monday nights. Its cool its a theater again. Its good to see the 5Points Theater and The Ritz back in the game.

November 04, 2008, 01:53:28 AM
It would be lovely to see a full restaurant go in with it.

5 Points Theatre

November 12, 2008, 03:58:03 PM
Hey Everybody!  Zack and Miri is wrapping up this Thursday night, so you better come see it while you can.

If James Bond is more your thing, be among the first to see it.  We'd love to do more midnight movies in general, if enough people show up.

The specials on the flyer are good opening night or for any showing of "Quantum of Solace"!

jacksonvilleconfidential

November 13, 2008, 03:49:07 PM
Ive had several friends tell me that they printed out the coupon (for Zack and Miri....) and used them and that they loved the theatre.

Good job!

Lunican

November 14, 2008, 10:51:44 AM
The 5 Points Theatre back in the movie business

For all who cherish neighborhood bars, mom and pop restaurants and local boutiques, you now have another movie theater to add to your hometown commerce roster. The 5 Points Theatre in Riverside returned to its roots and reopened last month as a movie house that shows those zany "talkies" so popular with the kids. One screen, one concession stand, one heckuva display of baked goods.

deathstar

November 17, 2008, 04:56:19 PM
I wonder why Pete left Yellowcard and now manages a theater? Not that I'm knocking his actions, just kinda wondering. As long as Inspection 12 don't go anywhere, all is well :D

5 Points Theatre

December 05, 2008, 04:37:28 PM
Twilight open tonight, with shows at 7 pm and 9:30 pm.

Come down and enjoy First Friday for a while, and then catch the movie.

I've attached a coupon for Twilight below.   Just print out the image and bring it in:

Finally, we are proud to announce that we now have heat.  That's right - heat.

Finally, in answer to deathstar's question, Inspection 12 is scheduled for two shows
around Christmas.  They're not going anywhere soon.

ProjectMaximus

December 28, 2008, 06:11:08 PM
Any coupons for Benjamin Button?

alta

December 28, 2008, 08:37:19 PM
Ditto

5 Points Theatre

December 30, 2008, 10:19:49 AM
Sorry for the delay - here's a coupon for Benjamin Button.  Just print it out and bring it in.

Tell your friends - we're still trying to get the word out about the theatre.

ProjectMaximus

December 30, 2008, 12:56:17 PM
Sorry for the delay - here's a coupon for Benjamin Button.

no worries. I went and saw it yesterday anyway. Nice theatre...I hope people become more aware of it over time. I'll definitely be back in the future (although not often since I no longer live in Jax)

RiversideGator

December 30, 2008, 12:59:35 PM
Where do you live now, PM?

December 30, 2008, 01:40:05 PM
Went and saw Benjamin Buttons with Laura Clark from the Bolles area, Father Rick Benton from Riverside, and we met up there with several of the beautiful Ettedgui women from Empire Point--in other words from several far flung points of the city.

The place is one of two theaters in the city core that serves beer and wine, and allows table space between the seats for food.

What a great picture, I cant wait to see this place evolve!

fsu813

December 30, 2008, 04:33:07 PM
pete manages it b/c he knows mr. shad quite well.

ProjectMaximus

December 31, 2008, 01:26:00 AM
Well, I am still in school up at Northwestern, just outside Chicago. I guess I live there, although I really kind of consider my place of residence to be a bit fluid until I get a job and place roots.

Jacksonville is my home, but I can't really claim to live here since I'm so rarely home. I spent five years at UF too, and think of that place as a second home.

5 Points Theatre

January 12, 2009, 04:05:54 PM
Here's a couple of updates from the theatre:

Thursday is the last night for Benjamin Button - it's been very popular so far (it did even better than the new Bond film we had in November).  We're going to offer a special $5 movie night on Wednesday and Thursday.  No coupon - just show up.  We've got just one show right now, at 7 pm.

Friday we start running Valkyrie for one week.  We'll have shows at 7 pm and 9:15 pm, plus a 4:45 matinee on Saturday and Sunday.

Starting on Friday, January 23rd we're very excited to have Slumdog Millionaire.  This movie just won best drama at the Golden Globes last night.

The number one feedback item we get is that people want to see movies that are a little different from the standard Hollywood fare.

I'll have coupons and showtimes for Slumdog a little later.

5 Points Theatre

January 20, 2009, 03:06:17 PM
Slumdog Millionaire starts Friday and runs until February 5th.  Shows are every day at 7 pm and 9:30 pm, with 4:45 pm matinees on Saturday and Sunday.

We'll be offering curried chicken and vegetarian pastries from the Cozy Tea House across the street, and I'm trying to line up some Kingfisher beer as well.

We have not done a coupon this time, because we haven't seen that many redeemed.  If you plan on going, send me a PM a day or so in advance, and I'll e-mail you a coupon.

copperfiend

January 20, 2009, 03:25:31 PM

That would be great. I would love to see some indy films that rarely make it to Jax.

KenFSU

January 20, 2009, 03:37:53 PM
Any chance you'll be showing The Wrestler? People have just been gushing about this movie and Mickey Rourke picked up a Golden Globe, but so far, I don't think it has played anywhere in Jacksonville.

copperfiend

January 20, 2009, 03:49:32 PM

It's not playing in Jacksonville. Neither is Milk. Alot of good movies have yet to make it to town. I am sure though that two dozen screens are showing Paul Blart: Mall Cop.

KenFSU

January 20, 2009, 04:13:20 PM
That's funny, because before I even finished reading your post, I was thinking to myself, "Gotta make room for Mall Cop, I guess."

5 Points Theatre

January 20, 2009, 04:23:44 PM
We've been begging for a print of The Wrestler.  And Milk.

Wrestler is currently playing on 144 screens nationwide, and Milk on 223.  Those are all the prints that exist.

By contrast, there are 3,144 prints of Paul Blart: Mall Cop being shown across the country (it is the number 1 film in the country right now, and knocked Gran Turino out of the top spot).

We've been talking with both studios, and we may have some luck in a few weeks.  The longer we're open, and the better we do, the more credibility we'll have with the studios.

Check out http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/ for more info on the numbers side.

We are super excited about Slumdog Millionaire - come and check it out.  Has anyone on the board seen it?  Any recommendations?

fsu813

January 20, 2009, 04:41:35 PM
Slumdog Millionaire was FANTASTIC. If that doesn't when Best Picture then I don't know what will. Totally unpredictable, smart, uncensored, and you leave with a good feeling. Just a great, great movie. Better than any other movie i've seen in years, literally.

TREE4309

January 20, 2009, 09:07:39 PM
I'll second that...Slumdog was great!

konstantconsumer

January 21, 2009, 01:38:06 PM
can't wait to see slumdog millionaire when you get it.  i've been waiting to see it in 5 points.  if you get milk, that would be incredible!

TREE4309

January 21, 2009, 08:08:01 PM
My vote's for The Westler (are we voting? haha!) but anything that is a little more "artsy" than your typical Hollywood fare would be welcomed with open arms (by me).  Feel free to skip the Mall Cop stuff.  =)

JeffreyS

January 23, 2009, 08:43:28 AM
I want whatever looks like it will bring in the most people.  I want that theater to stay forever. I will be in to see slumdog mid week.

Lucasjj

January 23, 2009, 09:09:53 AM
My girlfiend and I will be going this weekend to see Slumdog. I think this will be the fifth movie we have seen there, which is probably more 1 more than I had been to the movies in the previous five years together. I love that place. It has always been different sized crowds when we have gone so I don't know how well they are doing with customers. Anytime we go we try and bring friends along so hopefully more people will go and make the theatre a staple of Five Points for a long time to come.

CMG22

January 23, 2009, 08:42:56 PM
I've been a few times, but I frequent the San Marco Theater more (it's closer).

I can't believe no one has mentioned that those seats are the worst to watch a movie in.  Every time I bring someone, they end up complaining of a sore back afterward...

I would endure it to see Milk, though...

ProjectMaximus

January 23, 2009, 10:55:23 PM
really? I actually like the seats. But then again, im still kinda young and can USUALLY sleep on the floor and feel fine in the morning.

But I thought the theatre was too cold.

Lucasjj

January 25, 2009, 10:50:23 AM
Me and two friends saw the later showing of Slumdog Millionaire last night. The place seemed to have a really good crowd for both shows. We got there as the first show was clearing out and there was a good amount of people leaving. It was really good to see that many people there. Also they showed previews for Milk and The Wrestler, so hopefully that is a sign they will be able to bring those two movies in sometime in the near future.

copperfiend

January 25, 2009, 11:15:33 AM
The Wrestler is now playing in Jacksonville. Hopefully it plays in Five Points soon.

Shwaz

February 03, 2009, 10:40:05 AM
Any word on what film is next?

I was hoping to catch something next saturday (valentines) and stay in the neighborhood.

5 Points Theatre

February 03, 2009, 11:16:38 AM
The next film is Milk, which starts this Friday, February 6th.  It will run for one week.

I'll post the showtimes, etc. as soon as we know them.

stephElf

July 06, 2009, 11:04:29 AM
Does anyone know if 5 points theatre does advance ticketing?

5 Points Theatre

July 06, 2009, 01:30:54 PM
stephElf,

We can definately sell advance tickets.  Send me an e-mail with the name and date/time of the movie and your phone number, and I can call you and sell you the ticket by credit card over the phone.  My e-mail is jacklshad@gmail.com.

Or, come by during business hours (usually about 30 minutes before the first movie starts) and pay cash.

We've pre-sold a number of tickets for the Tuesday night at midnight opening of Harry Potter.  We haven't sold out at the midnight movies yet, but we've come close the last couple of times.

Thanks!