Saturday, April 19, 2014

Bold City Brewery coming to Riverside

An exciting adaptive resuse project in the urban core will soon be the home of a locally owned and operated brewery.

Published May 22, 2008 in Dining & Nightlife      53 Comments    Open printer friendly version of this article Print Article

ABOUT BOLD CITY BREWERY – from www.boldcitybrewery.com

Welcome to the Bold City Brewery blog. My name is Brian Miller and I'll be using this blog to update everyone on the progress as well as any news, events, and basically anything happening with the Brewery.

A little bit about the Brewery and the people behind it. The Brewery is family owned and operated by The Millers (no relation to Miller Brewing company, although the money would be nice) who all have a hand in the operations whether it be marketing, handling business relations, ordering supplies, cleaning tanks or doing what's most important, brewing beer. We were all born and raised in Jacksonville except for my father who is a native of the City of Brotherly Love, Philadelphia. The concept of opening a business, any business, can be a scary one. But at some point, you have to allow yourself to dream about what could be and push forward with you aspirations. We know there will be a lot of long hours and a lot of hard work. But we also know there will be a lot of good times and a lot of fun to be had. I'm sure during this endeavor, we'll find out how strong our family relations are, but I have no doubt that when tough times come, we'll be OK. Sippa-Tow!

Future location of the Bold City Brewery Tap Room

A warehouse facility was chosen for the microbrewery operation because it will allow Bold City Brewery to distribute kegs to local restaurants and venues. The brewery will also include a tap room where beer can be consumed by the pint or purchased in growlers for take home enjoyment.

The Brewery will be located a few blocks north of the Park & King Commercial District, in an area with several interesting historic industrial buildings waiting for new creative uses.

This general area is also one Metro Jacksonville believes should serve as one of the rail stops for Jacksonville's proposed commuter rail system.

Bold City Brewery will be located at 2670-7 Rossell Street in Riverside.

Article by Ennis Davis

Share this article   digg   delicious   reddit   myspace   technorati   google   newsvine

Jason

May 22, 2008, 09:30:39 AM
Great news!  Hopefully they'll become a local staple and give Anheuiser Busch a run for their money.

David

May 22, 2008, 09:57:37 AM
yep I'm pretty happy about this as well. After my trip to Portland & Seattle I was just saying how Jacksonville needs more microbrewerys around. I was in locally brewed beer heaven out there.

May 22, 2008, 11:03:29 AM
I love to see it grow to the point of bringing home the old "JAX BEER" name! Nice location too.
Good Luck!

estate4

May 22, 2008, 11:20:25 AM
It's about time. Risky move considering the global hops shortages, but I'll be a supporter of the product if it's better than what else is brewed in this town.

May 22, 2008, 11:24:08 AM
Thats true estate4, luckily we were able to purchase our hops before the extreme shortage hit. There are still hops available, but recipes may need to be modified to use a different variety.

May 22, 2008, 11:25:49 AM
Good Luck!

We tried Ock. Lots of hoops and money involved to get the rights to the name. We're still looking into it and hopefully in the future can obtain the rights to it.

Johnny

May 22, 2008, 12:11:24 PM
AWESOME! Can we look forward to an IPA... or dare I say it a DIPA?

- signed HOPHEAD JOHNNY

Johnny

May 22, 2008, 12:16:04 PM
ps. I just updated BA nation! (www.beeradvocate.com) Good luck!

thebrokenforum

May 22, 2008, 12:39:37 PM
Cool! I hope this succeeds. Can't wait to try some.

May 22, 2008, 01:10:15 PM
AWESOME! Can we look forward to an IPA... or dare I say it a DIPA?

- signed HOPHEAD JOHNNY

Hey Johnny,
    We will definitely have an IPA and i know a special brew of a DIPA is in the future.

May 22, 2008, 01:15:33 PM
ps. I just updated BA nation! (www.beeradvocate.com) Good luck!

Thanks for updating BeerAdvocate as well.

xian1118

May 22, 2008, 02:15:31 PM
add me to your mailing list, sounds like an excellent idea.

May 22, 2008, 03:58:13 PM
add me to your mailing list, sounds like an excellent idea.

Will do!

billbo

May 22, 2008, 09:43:05 PM
add me to your mailing list, sounds like an excellent idea.

Will do!

Add another to the mailing list.  How many different types of beers are you guys planning to brew?  I see that there is an IPA, which makes me happy, but are your also brewing a wheat an ale, etc.?  In any event, best of luck to you and I will definitely support the local goods.

copperfiend

May 22, 2008, 10:30:01 PM
This could be an exciting addition to town. Can't wait to check it out.

Coolyfett

May 23, 2008, 01:30:15 AM
WOW!! Riverside drinkers rejoice!!! I'm not a drinker but I hope you cats sell out!!! Ill wear a T-shirt though if you got em??

May 23, 2008, 08:26:33 AM
add me to your mailing list, sounds like an excellent idea.

Will do!

Hey Billbo,
     We're planning four brews with four seasonals @ first (which will include a wheat). We'll also have specialty brews that are only available on tap @ the Brewery tap room by the pint or for take home in the form of a Growler (explanation of growler below from Wikipedia). The email list should be ready by Monday so make sure and check www.boldcitybrewery.com for sign up, just in case it slips my mind.

A "growler" is a half gallon (64 US fl. oz.) (1.89 Litres) glass jug used to transport draft beer in America. They are commonly sold at breweries and brewpubs as a means to sell take-out beer. Some breweries also offer a one-litre version. Growlers are also used by homebrewers as an alternative to using kegs or smaller bottles for carbonating and storing their beer.

Growlers generally are made of glass and have a steel or plastic screw-on cap or a hinged porcelain gasket cap which can provide freshness for a week or more. A Growler will not hold carbonation indefinitely, and since it is not a sanitized form of packaging, it is not an appropriate means of long term beer storage

boldcitysis

May 23, 2008, 01:12:47 PM
My little brother has grown up!!!!  hah, I know this will be a huge success, so be sure to include me in the profits!!!!  Love you!

TREE4309

May 23, 2008, 02:37:15 PM
I'm definitely excited about this project!  Put me down on the mailing list!

May 25, 2008, 09:58:39 PM
The mailing list has been created. You can sign up @ www.boldcitybrewery.com

Cheers,
   GB

May 27, 2008, 08:44:33 AM
 ;D

zoo

May 27, 2008, 12:07:07 PM
It's about time!!! And how cool to have evidence of TOD before the T is even adopted by our friends at JTA. Is anyone listening? More breweries, please -- how about on in Springfield?

TREE4309

May 27, 2008, 03:40:58 PM
From today's Business Journal update...

Microbrewery scheduled for September opening
Get your pint glasses ready for September when a new microbrewery opens in Riverside.

Bold City Brewery will have its own tap room, where the thirsty can down a pint of ale on-site and take home more using a half-gallon transporter.

The 7,200-square-foot brewery at 2670 Rosselle St. will roll out about 1,000 barrels per year for the first three years, and then jump up production to 2,500 barrels per year, said co-owner Brian Miller (no connection to the well-known brewing giant).

"It is something that we always felt Jacksonville needed," said Miller, who has been homebrewing for about seven years. "We like the artistic side of craft beer."

Miller, who works in information technology at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Florida Inc., said the brewery will sell four staple and four seasonal beers by the keg, and the tap room will feature those, along with a few specialty beers not sold by keg. Prices haven't been set.

Keep up to date on the transformation of a former iron works shop to a brewery with Miller's blog, www.boldcitybrewery.com

Captain Zissou

May 28, 2008, 11:42:15 PM
Bold City, please let us know the second tshirts are available as I would like to be the first one to purchase one.  Additionally, I can't wait for the grand opening, as I hope to be a frequent patron.

May 29, 2008, 08:21:29 AM

Hey Captain,
     We should have merchandise available by the second week of June. We'll send out a notice via the mailing list once we have it.

Cheers

fruitboy

June 03, 2008, 08:56:14 PM
Are you planning to brew any fruit beers?  I fancy a nice Cherry Wheat or a Wild Blue every now and again.  I also like little chunks of fruit right in the beer.  Or just a bowl of fruit with a little beer poured over it.  Or a wine cooler.  Wah-tee-tah!

June 04, 2008, 09:03:41 AM

Most Definitely. Possibly a Mandarin Orange (Regal) White Ale. Sippa-Tow!

;)

June 04, 2008, 10:27:11 AM
I'll cheer for a revival of the "JAX BEER" label. BTW, Pearl which closed it's San Antonio brewery is now shifted to Ft. Worthless, TX. They are part of Pabst. Or is it that is brewing Pearl on their line in Fort Worth? ANYWAY, in the process Pearl's parent company gave the names of all of their old and historic labels to a foundation. They are now for sale to raise money for the foundation... 5 will get you 10 that some micro-brewer ends up with JAX. I hope it's y'all, or if not, that it's still looking for a home when you get big enough to bring it home!

The JAX BEER LEGAL CASE: http://bulk.resource.org/courts.gov/c/F2/574/574.F2d.824.77-2673.html

JAX HISTORY: Named for Jackson Square and its namesake, Andrew Jackson, The Jackson Brewing Co. was chartered in 1890 and housed in an industrial building on Decatur Street. New Orleans was home to at least 30 breweries in the early part of the 1900s, but most of them were small and distributed their beverages to only one or two outlets. With its regional sales and distribution, Jackson Brewery eventually became the largest independent brewery in the South and the 10th largest single-plant brewery in the country. During Prohibition, when many breweries were forced to close, Jackson Brewing stayed in operation by manufacturing near beer and other beverages, such as root beer. In 1956, the Jax Brewing Co., headquartered in Jacksonville, Fla., (also named for Andrew Jackson) sold the copyright to the brand name "Jax" to the New Orleans operation, which also had been producing a beer by that name. In 1974, the Jax Brewery closed and the rights to Jax Beer were taken over by Pearl Brewing Co. in San Antonio. During its tenure in New Orleans, however, Jax Beer reached its height of popularity, and its brewhouse became a local icon.

Yes, there was just a article and thread on JAX... But come on y'all let's bring it back~!

June 04, 2008, 10:36:13 AM

Here's a link to that article on Jax Brewing:

Captain Zissou

June 10, 2008, 01:43:13 PM
Any News or Developments, bold City??

June 10, 2008, 02:09:40 PM
Any News or Developments, bold City??

Hey Capt,
     Of course there is, we've just been pretty busy but I'll be updating the Blog tonite with some new pictures and info. We ordered the shirts today and received a shipment of kegs as well. The brewhouse and cellar tanks should be in house next week, which I'm pretty stoked about. There will be a write up in the August edition of Celebrator magazine and Ale Street news about the Brewery and i believe the beer scene that is slowly emerging in Jacksonville. We finally got around to sealing the brewery concrete floors which makes a huge difference dust wise. Our cold room should be in the last week of June which will be COOL.... As soon as we get our shirts in I'll send out an email blast.

Cheers

blizz01

June 10, 2008, 04:13:58 PM
I know you're busy but I gotta ask - any Belgian styles?

David

June 10, 2008, 05:15:23 PM
yea will you have anything that'll leave me hungover for 2 days? (10-20% beers?)

June 10, 2008, 09:38:23 PM
I know you're busy but I gotta ask - any Belgian styles?

Hey Blizz,
  A Belgian White Ale and Strong Ale and i would also like to do a Blond Ale (Duvel) down the road.

Cheers

June 10, 2008, 09:40:42 PM

Hey David,
    We have a porter that should come in @ the 10% range. We do have plans to do a high gravity beer around the 15 - 16% range as well.

Cheers

blizz01

June 11, 2008, 12:52:08 AM
I guess I should have read priors, but is there going to be a seating/bar area incorporated as well?

June 11, 2008, 08:01:55 AM

Hi Blizz,
   Yes, There will be a Tap room..

Cheers

TREE4309

June 11, 2008, 11:54:03 AM
Any pictures or drawings of the layout you can share?  Can't you tell how excited we all are?!   ;D

June 11, 2008, 11:58:01 AM
Hey Tree,
   I'll see if i can get something to upload. We're excited that you guys are excited. Hooray for beer!!!   ;)

Cheers

Captain Zissou

June 11, 2008, 12:20:56 PM
Careful Bold City, that was close to a Red Stripe plug.

June 11, 2008, 12:41:38 PM
Almost...

David

June 11, 2008, 04:39:04 PM
Would you say you are ugly?

Man: no

Redstripe: you are VERRRRRRRRRRRRRY ugly! Here, hold this beer. *holds beer* YOU ARE BEAUIFUL!!!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/BfGkhhm4vXw" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/BfGkhhm4vXw</a>

Thanks for being so prompt with the replies Boldcity. You're already building a thristy customer base.

June 11, 2008, 10:07:45 PM
I love it. Some of the best commercials in the world are from Breweries. This is one of my favorites. (I know AB.)

June 19, 2008, 09:20:10 AM
Story about Craft Beer , homebrewing, and the local homebrew club on Jacksonville.com

lancestone

August 06, 2008, 07:54:02 PM
The location is GREAT!! We could all get wasted in the tap room and then stagger out the back to our cars!!  But wait.... In our drunken confusion we wandered onto the tracks and got hit by a train instead! AWESOME!  Come on have a sense of humor!

brewdogales

October 11, 2008, 10:56:07 AM
It's about time someone opened a microbrewery in J-ville...I'm glad you did! if you hadn't I would have! I'll see you at the opening today! ;D

walter

October 11, 2008, 05:05:43 PM
Went to the opening today and have to say this is a really cool place.  The tap room was great.  Took home a gallon (growler) of the porter.   Thanks for a great addition to jville.

oh and to JoeMerchant.....keep it IN the glass next time  ;D

civil42806

October 11, 2008, 05:38:03 PM
my favorite beer commercial, careful now nsfw

civil42806

October 11, 2008, 05:40:56 PM
Look forward to hitting the brewery when I'm back in town.

fpj

October 12, 2008, 12:45:17 PM
I had their Rye Pale Ale at FUEL during the Bike thing yesterday and Ragland's has four of their ales on tap now, too.

-fpj

October 14, 2008, 07:49:56 PM
Hi Everyone,
     First off we would like to say thank you to everyone who came out on Saturday, I believe a good time was had by all. Secondly, we would like to congratulate Brad Rickel who won the raffle for the Kegerator and keg of Bold City brew. I will be brewing our winter seasonal (Smoky Porter) possibly this week as well as our IPA. I’ll also be updating our list of venues with Bold City on draft. Below are the hours of operation for the Tap Room as well as a few notes on Growlers.

1) Growlers are for consumption off premise.

2) By law, we can't fill growlers from other breweries.

3) We purge all our growlers with CO2 before they are filled. We do this so the oxygen in the air won’t infiltrate and produce off flavors. Oxygen will also cause the beer to go flat once opened. The rule of thumb is to finish off the beer within 24 hours after opening.

4) We recommend finishing the Growler within 3 days of purchase. Once the Growler has been emptied, bring it back in and we will exchange it for a growler which has been cleaned, sanitized, and kept cool and fill it with your favorite Bold City brew.

Hours of operation for the Tap Room are below.

Thursday 3pm - 8pm

Friday 3pm - 9pm

Saturday 11am - 9pm. Tours are 2pm – 5pm on the hour.

Be Bold.
Cheers,
    Brian

BridgeTroll

February 05, 2011, 11:49:32 AM

First Person: Home brew gets bold treatment at Jacksonville brewery
Modest recipe is scaled up at local brewery
Posted: February 5, 2011 - 12:10am

By Ed Stansel
The brew system at Bold City Brewery is an imposing structure of stainless steel tanks, pipes, valves and hoses. The boil kettle alone is about the size of a Mercury — the space capsule, not the car. Bigger, actually. Make that a Gemini.

So it was a little intimidating for a home-brewer like me, used to making 5-gallon batches of beer in what basically is a big stock pot, to climb up to the brewing platform knowing we were about to make more than 200 gallons of one of my recipes.

"This looks complicated," I told head brewer Brian Miller as he fiddled with an array of dials and buttons on the control panel. But I soon learned their functions - a few of them, anyway - as Miller patiently schooled me in brewing on a professional scale.

Industrial-size brewing

I've been making my own beer on a simple setup in my backyard for about five years. Just more than a year ago, one of my beers — a milk stout — took second place in a Bold City-sponsored home-brew competition at the West Riverside brewery. Milk stout, also known as sweet or cream stout, is a dark, smooth, somewhat roasty ale. Non-fermentable lactose, or milk sugar, is added to give it a residual sweetness.

After the contest, Miller said he wanted to brew my recipe someday. I thought he was justtrying to console me, but true to his word, he called me a few weeks ago and said, "Ready to brew?"

Brew day arrived Jan. 21. Miller greeted me that morning with a pair of rubber boots and a dust mask - my first hint that this was going to be more industrial than I had imagined.

I quickly learned that brewing on this level is hard work.

Miller had scaled up my recipe to seven barrels (a barrel is 31 gallons) and pre-ordered the ingredients, which came shrink-wrapped on a pallet from the grain supplier. We're talking 435 pounds of grain, compared with the 14 pounds required for my home-brewed version.

Getting started

Step 1 was to crush the malted barley in a grain mill. A mask is required because the process kicks up a lot of dust. By the time I had lifted the fourth or fifth 50-pound sack over my head to pour into the hopper, I was finding it hard to catch my breath through the mask.

About that time I heard Miller exclaim "Uh oh" from atop the brew system. That's never a good thing to hear, whether it's in an operating room or a brewery floor.

A funnel feeding the crushed malt from a grain auger into the mash tun had come loose, spilling several pounds of grain before Miller could fix it. "That's never happened before," Miller said. But he told me not to worry about it.

"I don't want to scoop grain off the floor and put it in the beer," he said. I am more an adherent of the five-second rule, but I kept my mouth shut.

In the mash tun, the crushed grain was soaked in hot water (a mixture called a mash) for about an hour, as enzymes broke down starches into sugars, forming the sweet liquid called wort. A rotating rake slowly stirred the mash. Then, through a combination of button-punching and lever-pulling, the wort was pumped into the adjacent brew kettle, where it was brought to a boil.

At that point, I dumped in hops — more than 2 pounds, compared with a couple of ounces for my normal batches — and 45 pounds of lactose (I use a pound in my home-brew).

While the boil was going, I expected a brief break — maybe a sip of a Bold City's beer — but Miller handed me a pair of elbow-length rubber gloves and a shovel. The spent grain from the mash tun had to be dumped out a hatch in the bottom into a rolling trash bin. This is harder than it sounds, because a lot of it had to be shoveled out by hand and hosed out with hot water.

During the process, one of the latches that attach the hatch to the bottom of the mash tun fell into the bin. We realized this only after the bin had been dumped into a trailer outside, destined for a hog farm. Naturally, the thing was buried in the steaming heap of spent grain. The only way to retrieve it was to dig through the pile with gloved hands. I got lucky and found it quickly.

After an hour of boiling, the wort was pumped into a whirlpool tank, which chilled the beer to about 68 degrees, the right temperature for fermentation. At that point, I dumped a jug of English ale yeast into a pre-cleaned and sanitized fermenter. Miller connected a hose from the whirlpool to the fermenter, turned another series of valves and started filling it with the cooled wort.

Mission accomplished

The brewing process took about four hours. I have to confess I didn't stick around to help Miller and his crew do the dirty work — clean up the rest of the equipment. But the idea of messing with corrosive chemicals didn't appeal to me. Besides, I had to get back to my real job. At least, that was my excuse.

By the next morning, fermentation was going strong as the yeast cells went to work gobbling up sugars and expelling alcohol and carbon dioxide.

The beer, which Miller is calling "Uncle Ed's Milk Stout: I Think I'll Have an Udder," will be tapped on Thursday at Bold City. I think the beer will be a lot better than that pun. But you can be the judge.

Miller started out as a home-brewer before he and his mom, Susan Miller, quit their desk jobs and opened Bold City just more than two years ago.

He said despite the hard work and responsibilities, brewing is still fun.

"I love what we do here," he said. "I have a passion for it."

Bold City Brewery is at 2670 Rosselle St. in Riverside.

Ed Stansel is a home-brewer and co-author of the Times-Union's "Amber Waves" beer column and blog. Contact him at ed.stansel@ jacksonville.com or (904) 359-4473.

Read more at Jacksonville.com: http://jacksonville.com/entertainment/food-and-dining/2011-02-05/story/first-person-home-brew-gets-bold-treatment#ixzz1D6Uoa1PW