Friday, October 31, 2014

Through the Night: Springfield Historic District

Take a photo journey through Jacksonville's oldest urban neighborhood: Springfield Historic District.

Published March 28, 2007 in Neighborhoods      18 Comments    Open printer friendly version of this article Print Article

Live music at 9th and Main

The Pearl

Karpeles Manuscript Museum

Klutho Park

ShantyTown

6th Street

Photos by Daniel Herbin

02roadking

March 28, 2007, 07:46:59 AM
The pics are great gang. I need some of that up lighting on my house, it makes a big difference. Thanks for sharing.

downtownparks

March 28, 2007, 07:55:26 AM
How did you avoid all of the bad guys that we are always hearing about on the news and from old time Jax residents?

Oh, wait! You must have asked the throngs of criminals and thugs to step just out side of the frame before you took the pictures!

:-)
 Nice work. Great photo set. I love seeing places like Shanty and Pearl take off. Perhaps we can get 9th and Main pushed towards becoming a more regular live venue, and put it back on the list or up and coming places!

Jason

March 28, 2007, 08:12:06 AM
I think ou got a shot of my brother at Shanty Town.

Great tour!  Those SRG homes really fit in well with the surrounding homes.

vicupstate

March 28, 2007, 10:37:12 AM
Those are some of the best nightime pics I have seen anywhere.

Adam B

March 28, 2007, 10:41:45 AM
i'll have to show this to people who think my neighborhood is too scary.

Johnny

March 28, 2007, 11:42:03 AM
I just did the same thing... ha!

I-10east

March 28, 2007, 10:05:35 PM
To all the people that think J-ville don't have any style, or great distinguishing architecture, they need to open their eyes to these pics. Great job on the pics. :)

Mom Marchy

March 30, 2007, 09:56:34 AM
Joey, nice pics.     Did I see some pics of the Perry St project in there?

Karen Kaufman

March 30, 2007, 04:12:43 PM
Great pics!  You did an amazing job of showing off our beautiful Springfield!

christine farley

March 30, 2007, 11:17:10 PM
The photos are just incredible.  When we were fighting for money for Main St.  and other projects were getting money - someone who used to be high up in Delaney's government said "Springfield was a picture postcard long before so and so ( I do not remember to which edifice he referred) - but Joey you have made it a picture postcard haven again -  I keep looking and looking and sending the route to my family and friends

FrankR

March 30, 2007, 11:48:22 PM
Joey did not take these pictures.  Dan did.  Check your facts yo.

christine farley

March 31, 2007, 08:05:43 PM
Sorry Dan - I saw Mom Marchy said Joey - sorry Frank whoever you are - hate the word yo
Dan they are really great

Yourworstnightmare

April 03, 2007, 04:21:37 PM
Sorry, if these  forty eight pictures represent Springfield this is a sad commentary for the area. If I had the time to play games and take pictures of selected shots of Springfield, of course you have the WOW
shots. Go take the real pictures of Springfield, boarded up homes, crack viles in the gutters, prostitutes walking the streets. With out those super bright street lights you wouldn't dare walk those streets at night. If you notice, the streets are empty even with the street lights, lighting up everything. How can those people sleep, it should be called "Land of the Midnight Sun.

April 03, 2007, 04:26:29 PM
its obviously either been a long time since youve been in historic springfield or youve mistaken the crack vials from your living room floor as being in springfield instead.

Since I would hope that you arent a crack monkey, I suggest the former rather than the latter.

You should go check it out in that case, because the springfield that you describe hasnt existed in years.

If its the latter,  Nevermind.

Stephen Dare.

Michael Howle

April 05, 2007, 04:36:25 PM
Nice pics, but how about some props for the eastside?  I see the houses between 4th & 5th on Market, but don't forget Hubbard, Liberty, and my favorite:  WALNUT!   YO!

Bonnie B

April 09, 2007, 09:01:28 PM
 :o Well,I'm thinking in moving to.Jak,  Don't know,much about it,Hope, this help.    :-*

June 27, 2007, 10:01:44 PM
These aren't night pictures, but they were taken in Springfield.

15 West Sixth, back in March 2007

15 West Sixth (Unit 1) - June 27, 2007

thepooldiva

June 03, 2011, 05:21:25 PM
I am considering buying into the Springfield area.  I first have a home to sell.  I want to purchase an income property, hopefully, one I can live in while renting out the other half.  What part of Springfield would be best?  Preferably an area which has most of the homes in the area surrounding the home, almost completed.  I love the architecture.  I am familiar with Frank Lloyd Wright and now I understand Kuthlo is responsible for most of the Prairie Style architecture in the area.  How do I know if I would be purchasing a home with their influence or contribution? I love the Urban pictures...it does look like an up and coming area...one that I would like to be a part of by renovating one of these old relics.  I would prefer a home with the electrical already up to code and most of the major work done, like plumbing and newer roof.  Any advice would be welcomed.  I have remodeled two homes, but nothing as old as these type homes.