Urban Neighborhoods: St. Johns Quarter
The St. Johns Quarter is a six block, 18 acre section of Riverside that is locally designated historic district. The local historic designation is intended to keep buildings from being demolished and incompatible buildings from being built.
Published March 5, 2009 in Neighborhoods - MetroJacksonville.com
The St. Johns Quarter can be seen to the left of the Park Lane highrise along the riverfront.
The Fenimore Apartments were completed in 1922, at the cost of $90,000. It is said that the name "Fenimore" was taken from James Fenimore Cooper, whose novels were popular at the time.
The Fenemore Apartments in 1937.
The 16 story Park Lane building was Florida's first high-rise condominium building when it was completed in 1926. The concept came from its developer, Francis Mason, who brought the idea back from a trip to New York. Original units sold for $12,000 and up.
The Park Lane under construction in 1926.
The Leon Cheek Residence may be one of the most elaborate residential structures in the historic district. Leon Cheek was the owner of downtown's massive Cheek-Neal Coffee Company, now known as the Maxwell House Coffee. The remnants of Mr. Cheek's private dock still stand across the street from the 1929 structure.
Designed by Wilbur B. Talley in 1912, this Prairie School style house at 2165 River Boulevard was built for the president of Southern States Land & Timber Co., George F. Bensel.
Located at 2107 River Boulevard, the Riverside House (now apartments) was constructed in Brooklyn around 1870 and was a part of "Riverside Row." During its stay in Brooklyn, it was known as the "Rochester House." It was moved to its present site by barge roughly 100 years ago.
The River House in 1875.
The Villas of St. Johns forms the northern border of the St. Johns Quarter. Completed in 2000, the four story Villas development contains 257 apartment units over looking the St. Johns River.
This Prairie School house was constructed for William Baldwin in 1919. Baldwin was the vice president of the Baldwin-Lewis Naval Stores Company.
The Dickert House Bed and Breakfast is located in a 1914 Prairie style home at 1804 Copeland Street. For more information on the Dickert House, visit: http://www.dickert-house.net
Constructed at the cost of $20,000 in 1924, this house at 1819 Goodwin Street was designed by Jacksonville's first female architect, Henrietta Dozier. Born in Fernandina Beach, Henrietta Dozier graduated from Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1899. She was known for wearing trousers on her work sites and listing her name as "H.C. Dozier".
Images by Ennis Davis
This article can be found at: https://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2009-mar-urban-neighborhoods-st-johns-quarter