Downtown Historic Church Tour 2009
A century of downtown sanctuaries in one afternoon. The 2009 Downtown Jacksonville Historic Church Tour.
Published December 8, 2009 in History - MetroJacksonville.com
Old St. Andrew's Episcopal Church - 317 Florida Avenue
Located next to the Baseball Grounds of Jacksonville, this church is known as the only religious structure in town to not be destroyed by the Great Fire of 1901. Built in 1887, it now serves as the home of the Jacksonville Historical Society.
Immaculate Conception Catholic Church - 121 East Duval Street
Completed in 1910, this structure is known as one of the finest Gothic Revival churches in the State. Standing at 178.5 feet, it was Jacksonville's tallest building until 1913.
First Baptist Church - 133 West Church Street
This church was designed by H.J. Klutho in 1903. The interior originally featured a hand painted mural on the domed ceiling, but it was removed in a 1924 renovation. Imagine if First Baptist went vertical instead of horizontal. During the 1920's, a vertical church was proposed.
First United Methodist Church - 225 East Church Street
Located between the Immaculate Catholic Church and St. John's Episcopal Cathedral, this church is the most recently constructed on the tour. Property appraiser records show the sanctuary as being built in 1924, although it appears to be constructed in the 1960s.
St. John's Episcopal Cathedral - 256 East Church Street
This church property was originally on the outskirts of town at the crest of "Billy Goat Hill". When the city expanded, the church was left in place and the street grid was developed around it. This Gothic Revival complex was built in 1903 to replace the 1877 building, which was destroyed by the Great Fire of 1901.
First Presbyterian Church - 118 East Monroe Street
This Gothic Revival church building was constructed in 1901 to replace the original structure that was destroyed by the Great Fire of 1901.
Historic Mount Zion AME Church - 201 East Beaver Street
This Romanesque Revival style structure was constructed in 1901 to replace the previous church, which was destroyed by the Great Fire of 1901.
JTA PCT's were used to shuttle people over three routes (Red, Green, and Purple).
Thanks to DVI for creating a successful Third Annual Downtown Historic Church Tour.
Photos by Daniel Herbin
This article can be found at: https://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2009-dec-downtown-historic-church-tour-2009