Author Topic: Downtown's Best Kept Secret: McCoys Creek  (Read 21173 times)

Noone

Re: Downtown's Best Kept Secret: McCoys Creek
« Reply #90 on: April 18, 2012, 05:15:47 AM »
Took an out of town visitor on an epoch paddle of our Downtown and launched at Mayor Brown's kayak launch at River City Brewing.

Kayaking on McCoys Creek and under the Times Union was this kayakers goal. Not new to kayaking but new to the river that is so inviting but can turn and be so dangerous as the eerie calm of an outgoing tide greets visitors to our beaches and as you wade in then all of a sudden you are swept away in a riptide that has the potential to extol life from a visitor who just wanted to experience a unique Downtown Urban Waterway Destination.

It was an outgoing tide, little wind, and a sunny day coupled with a suggestion that said "let me show you a cavern that extends blocks and its on the Northbank as well."

Being all in we were immediately paddling to avoid being swept into the marina at River City Brewing. Once past the last boat we were now tracking across the river to the Duval county parking lot. Nice calm relaxed conditions but aware that you need to cross the river to put yourself in a position so as not to overshoot you destination.

Khan's yacht wasn't there so we entered the first opening and took it in under the parking lot. This was an added bonus for a Downtown kayakers bucket list. I brought some fishing poles made a couple of casts with no luck and it was time to take it to McCoys.

With a regroup plan it was a straight shot paddle against the current to McCoys. Hugging the shore winds still calm and staying out of the river traffic made for a very nice paddle to the next Downtown Urban Waterway Destination.

The paddle under the TU was met with  excitement especially by those who experience this for the first time. I told him to take it slow after you  round the bend and anticipate a vibrant rookery. I was a 100 ' behind him and as I rounded the bend the rookery was quiet. We took it in a little further and I literally counted two green herons. We didn't go much further. I was at a loss to explain it. He had to get back so we took it back out to our St. Johns River our American Heritage River a Federal Initiative.

Back on the river the tide is heading out. We are drifting under the railroad tracks. We see the fire boat out in the river. The Fountain seemed to have been set on the low sprinkler setting all day because we never saw the awe in that attraction. Didn't see a train either. We part at this point and he takes it back to RCB and I'm heading Downtown to fish under our brand new No Fishing signs that was never before Waterways.   

As I enter the the Duval county parking lot I'm stoked. I so much want to be one of the biggest cheerleaders for Downtown and tell the world why you want to
VISIT JACKSONVILLE!

I had a blast. tried some spots and ended up with two nice reds and a trout. But here is the kicker and what I want to share with everyone. The weather and the conditions had changed. I'm near the pier that is next to Berkman and I can't use it. What a joke. I have two choices. Back to Mayor Brown's kayak launch at RCB or the kayak launch at the city marina at Metropolitan Park. The tide was now heading in and the winds have picked up. White caps on the water and good swells. The paddle back to RCB going with the current is the right logistical paddle. But after just getting out into the river it became apparent to me that this was not safe. Fortunately I haven't gone that far and I take it back in under the courthouse parking lot.

North Miami remember how high the water was when we did our memorable trifecta? The windows of opportunity can close fast on our Downtown Waterways. I take it back to Berkman Plaza-Plaza at Berkman. I tie up my kayak at the empty marina. Not one boat in the 50 slip marina. I climb over the gate and it just bothers me that I'm trespassing. I now have to walk over to River City Brewing to get my vehicle. Its now after 5. As I'm walking across the courthouse parking lot there are 3 meter people swarming the area. I get to RCB and drive back to Berkman.

As I walk through the Public Park at Berkman I'm just saying to myself "HEY, URBAN CORE CPAC! WAKE UP!

I climb over the gate at the empty marina and get down to my kayak. Tide is still heading in. I put my life jacket back on and I'm back underneath Berkman and the ceiling is narrower than what you want to subject yourself to.  Literally inches. I make it to the closest floating dock and get out. I'm standing on private property and just looking in disbelief at our Historic Promised 680' Downtown Public Pier. What a joke. I take it up and climb over the gate there was a jogger who was so nice that he gave me a hand carrying my kayak to my van.

So now on Bay St. I take it to Marks and have a Guinness.

Who's next?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 06:10:14 AM by Noone »

Noone

« Reply #91 on: May 13, 2012, 04:57:47 AM »
VISIT JACKSONVILLE!

That is what former President Bill Clinton did Friday. So on Sat. it was another epoch opportunity to show the world the opportunity that exists right now through legislation to reclaim Public Access and economic opportunity to our St. Johns River our American Heritage River in a yet to be voted on Downtown Authority Zone.

I wanted to put in at Sidney Gefen Park which is currently part of a FIND grant application before the Jacksonville Waterways Commission and Jacksonville city council on the Northbank. Unfortunately the winds were picking up and it was a deteriorating weather forecast. It was an outgoing tide bit of a chop in the river.

Instead I took it up the street to Stonewall and Chelsea St. Easier launch as the tree tops are rustling with the wind as opposed to an open river and white caps. I brought my fishing poles and want to start seeing how I can do in other areas of Downtown.

I take it to the back where the old abandoned Carolina Skiff used to be. Still a few homeless camps in the area. What is noticeable is the decline in the bird population. Saw more this time but not the concentrated numbers that we use to see.

The paddle out was very relaxed. Its nice to know that numerous safe locations can be immediately opened up by our city council and this administration if they choose to act. Shipyards/Landmar Pier!!!!!

I take it out and enter the river under the Northbank Riverwalk. I bring it back in and try a couple of spots. Didn't catch anything but the highlight for me was being under the TU parking lot and the anticipation of trains approaching and a vantage point that has that look of a fiddler crab wanting to dart back in and out of the safety of its little tunnel.

The first was a two engine CSX and the second time that it happened it was a two engine Norfolk Southern. You couple this with the weekend boat traffic and the river taxi going to RAM. The taxis seem to have it down because they were getting through the tracks before the trains came.

Back at Stonewall and Chelsea St. there is Ben with a brand new fishing pole. I told him that I hope you have better luck than I did. I gave him the rest of my shrimp and mud minnows and a couple of jigs.

Before calling it a day and the only other kayak launch on the Northbank is the Marina at Metropolitan Park I decided that I just wanted to check that out as well. There was an event going on and a barricade was up so that you couldn't get back there. When I mentioned this to the parking guy that there is a public kayak launch back there he directed me to JSO. JSO directed me to move the barrier and then put it back and then go ahead. That's what I did.

Saw 3 boats in the marina and when I got out and looked at the river with river traffic and open wake zones and the swells with some white caps I'm just thinking that I'm not even going to attempt it. Remember that fishing pier at metropolitan park is closed during events so it was closed today and it was closed on Friday. The picnic tables are empty. There isn't a bicycle rack There is some serious tailgating going on.

I didn't stay long and upon my exit the parking guy came and removed the barrier so I didn't have to get out move it then get back in my van then have to get back out and move it again. Authority showing Authority. What is the penalty for trespassing at Berkman or Hogans Creek? Anyone.

I hope Ben has a great fishing story next time I see him on McCoys Creek.

Who's next?

« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 04:59:26 AM by Noone »

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #92 on: May 13, 2012, 07:17:46 AM »
Noone, how far west down McCoys Creek is it possible to kayak now?
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Noone

« Reply #93 on: May 15, 2012, 07:06:57 AM »
Thats your only concern? Just saw on First Coast News and the new floating dock going in next to the Vilano Pier in St. Johns county using FIND money. Good for them. We are a joke.

But to your question there is a pipe that extends across the creek about a 100' up  from the fence that is in the outfield of the ballpark.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #94 on: May 15, 2012, 09:06:39 AM »
Thanks, I have lots of concerns.  I'm concerned I'm not going to find a cheap flight to Cincinnati next month.   I wonder what my son's FCAT scores will be?  I'm concerned little league football registration prices are getting too high.  I'm concerned about carving out enough time to write another book and prepare for this fall's AICP exam.   I'd like the mortgage approval process to go a little quicker so I can build out a loft in Springfield this Summer.  I'd like my little brother to find a job.  The list goes on......
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Johnny Hall

« Reply #95 on: August 11, 2012, 08:57:45 PM »
what a great read , i know they used water from mccoys creek when the st. charles hotel burned down.

im not sure what year that was but i do remember it smelled really bad back then (probably from the slaughter house use) , im gonna guess 1965 or abouts

yes you are very brave guys to go back in there especially as tight as that bulkhead crossing was for you.

Spence

« Reply #96 on: November 25, 2012, 11:39:43 PM »
I just cannot get out and simply do what set my mind to like others.
But this wonderful Greenway is a key and a hingepin to all surrounding residents.
Both THIS waterway, AND Hogans will be more amazing someday soon

Why is the world full of humans a lot less friendly than we ought to be?

Noone

« Reply #97 on: December 17, 2012, 01:21:56 AM »
Jacksonville is so LOST when it comes to FIND.

After attending the disastrous 12/12/12 Jacksonville Waterways Commission meeting where Geffen Riverwalk was pulled last year and Jacksonville left $500,000 of our ad volorem property tax money on the table it was time to make another tactical urban kayaking paddle in an attempt to reclaim Public Access and Economic opportunity to our St. Johns River our American Heritage River a Federal Initiative in our new Downtown Authority zone.

My Downtown Destination was McCoys Creek. So with the morning fog and a low outgoing tide I launched at Sidney Geffen Park. The parking lot was empty. A small center console boat with 3 anglers was visible through the fog a few hundreds yards north of the unmarked kayak launch. brought a single tandem and was also going to do a one bag Vivian Harrell cleanup. Another reason for launching at this location is to assess the pilings that need to be removed. Anyone want to volunteer to help remove one piling? I'm serious.

Brought a couple of fishing poles. The paddle out and going with the last of the outgoing tide was So easy in navigating to the tunnel under the Times Union on McCoys Creek. Just a beautiful morning with the sunlight and the dew dotting spider webs offered an array of artistic patterns before entering into the darkness of the tunnel. The graffiti in my opinion has increased from what I recall.

The water was so low that you didn't have to duck when going by the pipes. The bird activity was very strong and it was just a delight to witness it. The paddle back was hindered because 3 trees have fallen down and have blocked the creek. may be able to get around on a high tide but definitely not on a low tide.

I really enjoyed the sun penetrating the canopy and the only sounds were the birds. never even heard or saw one train. it had been awhile since I've been on McCoys Creek and it was just refreshing to see that the canopy tree trail has not yet been destroyed.

The tide had started to turn and it was now an incoming tide. The paddle out to the river was so relaxed. The river was like glass. To catch  this 310 mile river in a period of slack tide with no wind and very little current is such an added plus for a Downtown paddle.

made some casts as I slowly drifted back to the unmarked Geffen kayak launch. Saw a kingfisher and some plovers along the way. Once at the launch I did a Vivian Harrell Bluebag cleanup.

My trip wasn't over as it relates to gathering information for the DIA, City Council, Waterways Commission, Commissioners of FIND and other Governmental agencies throughout the state and country that may yet to be notified so I took my kayak and Bluebag to the Historic Promised 680'Downtown Public Pier (Shipyards III)

The 2013 SECRET FIND grant project list is still being explored. It would be nice to just be on the list.

I am Downtown and why you aren't.

Noone

« Reply #98 on: April 01, 2013, 06:18:05 AM »
Planning a Downtown RICO paddle. Open to anyone. You tell me if this isn't out of control corruption on our Waterways. Is there one person that will write a check for a buck to 2009-442 the Artificial Reef Trust Fund for the 6 permitted reefs in the river south of the Fuller Warren Bridge. I will deliver it personally on your. Behalf at the 4/10/13 Jacksonville Waterways Commission meeting.

Noone

« Reply #99 on: November 11, 2015, 06:48:42 AM »
In less than 3 hours Mayor Alvin Brown will be presenting his budget to the citizens of Jacksonville. The creation of 4 new offices.

Sports and Entertainment and Downtown Development and I'm still saying to myself "Yeah Right." Who will be allowed to participate? I remain cautiously optimistic. Will I really be telling the world shortly to Visit Jacksonville or Don't Visit Jacksonville. The true answer to that question will be known shortly and the response will be in legislation.

Right now this is a special shout out to anyone with a camera that will post pictures on this forum of our trip under the TU on McCoys Creek. Seriously looking for anyone with guts that will show the world what we are turning our back to. Any news media outlet outside of Duval county give me a call. Any documentary film maker (Ken Burns want to be) Give me a call 904-434-0839-c. Any CBS,NBC,ABC affiliate give me a call too. Seriously looking for an Ennis Davis Jr. want to be that will post the pictures on this forum. Oprah, you may need to come out of retirement on this one.

Send me a PM and we will set up a day and time and keep an eye on the tides and conditions that will capture a part of our Downtown that people just dream about.

Your pictures will tell the story.

Who is that person sitting in the front that will Make it Happen?

Be concerned and keep score. I am. Onward.     

Jacksonville Waterways Commission meeting 11/12/15 at 9:30 am in council chambers. Open to the Public. On the agenda is the new CEO of the DIA Aundra Wallace and Guy Parola. There is new legislation that has been created. Is it Inclusive or Exsclusive for Public Access and Economic Opportunity to our St. Johns River an American Heritage River a FEDERAL, FEDERAL, FEDERAL Initiative?

I'd say NO.

2013-384
2014-560
2014-190
2014-305
2014-412

Pick and Choose the winners and losers.
The Public Trust just crushed in this community.

acme54321

« Reply #100 on: November 11, 2015, 07:09:51 AM »
Seriously?  This thread is 2.5 years old.

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #101 on: November 11, 2015, 08:10:38 AM »
Seriously?  This thread is 2.5 years old.

Well then, clearly you don't feel bad for those Baltimore guys.
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

Ken_FSU

« Reply #102 on: July 07, 2019, 07:14:26 PM »
Punted another year down the road in the final cap improvement budget.

Based on the draft version, one change from the current five-year program would be a longer time-frame for completing planned work along McCoys Creek, which is part of the Emerald Necklace of downtown-area waterways.

The city has sought for years to turn the Emerald Necklace into a network of network of trails while also bolstering the capacity of McCoys Creek and Hogans Creek to move floodwater out of nearby neighborhoods.

The current five-year capital improvement program, approved by the City Council last September, anticipated the city would authorize $23.6 million for work along McCoys Creek in 2019-20. But the draft version just has $1.5 million. The rest of the funding would be pushed back to the following year.