Author Topic: Downtown's Best Kept Secret: McCoys Creek  (Read 21181 times)

Noone

Re: Downtown's Best Kept Secret: McCoys Creek
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2011, 09:20:54 AM »
Who wants to experience the man made cavern of McCoys Creek under the TU? High tide tomorrow around 9. We can meet at RCB at 7, 7:30, 8am will work around your schedule. Trip should be just over an hour.

Elected officials and those running in the spring elections go to the top of the list. Open to everyone and the media too. This will be a solo trip in a tandem kayak.

So who wants to tackle a bucket list activity in Downtown Jacksonville on our St. Johns River our American Heritage River?

Who wants to make a scene on our Waterway? 904-434-0839 we'll do it. We'll make it happen.

Noone

« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2011, 06:56:26 AM »
Chamber of Commerce week.

Who wants to make a scene on our Waterway Downtown on our St. Johns River our American Heritage River in the heart of our Downtown Jacksonville Overlay Zoning District?

Daniel O'Byrne allow me to help you tell the world to Visit Jacksonville.

Noone

« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2011, 09:02:33 AM »
Looks like we'll be paddling under the Times Union building on McCoys Creek in about 24 hours.

Imagine an out of town convention with a 1000 guests and right now they are standing on their balcony looking out on the St. Johns River our American Heritage River. And in 1 hour any person can give me a call 904-434-0839 and you will see and experience an urban Waterway that just happens to be along our Northbank Riverwalk.

Have an extra seat in the tandem. Who wants to make a scene Downtown on our St. Johns River our American Heritage River?

Open to any experienced kayakers that may want to tag along. It can be a fun paddle but dangerous too.

Noone

« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2011, 06:27:06 PM »
PatODo Sat. morning at 7:30 Lets Make It Happen.

Cg7 may be joining us.

Another opportunity to make a scene on our St. Johns River our American Heritage River within our Downtown Jacksonville Overlay Zoning District and before a total government take over by the DIA which would still need support by the next Mayor and City Council.

PatODo

« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2011, 09:15:53 PM »
Noone, I'll see you at 7:30 at Rivercity Brewing Company. Should be a beautiful day for it!  I'm all for bringing people downtown through activities and events but there is something unique about being out on the river, blocks away from skyscrapers, and it be so quiet.  Any newbies will definetly enjoy the experience!  A very unique perspective on our city! If we take our time we can make brunch at RBC on the way back in...HAHA! Rubber boots n' all!

Noone

« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2011, 06:16:22 AM »
See you PatODo and Cg7 in an hour. I'm wearing my rubber boots. Not bringing the tandem.

Noone

« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2011, 06:39:27 AM »
Anybody want to see this Downtown destination? We'll make it happen.

Noone

« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2011, 07:40:24 AM »
In less than 3 hours Mayor Alvin Brown will be presenting his budget to the citizens of Jacksonville. The creation of 4 new offices.

Sports and Entertainment and Downtown Development and I'm still saying to myself "Yeah Right." Who will be allowed to participate? I remain cautiously optimistic. Will I really be telling the world shortly to Visit Jacksonville or Don't Visit Jacksonville. The true answer to that question will be known shortly and the response will be in legislation.

Right now this is a special shout out to anyone with a camera that will post pictures on this forum of our trip under the TU on McCoys Creek. Seriously looking for anyone with guts that will show the world what we are turning our back to. Any news media outlet outside of Duval county give me a call. Any documentary film maker (Ken Burns want to be) Give me a call 904-434-0839-c. Any CBS,NBC,ABC affiliate give me a call too. Seriously looking for an Ennis Davis Jr. want to be that will post the pictures on this forum. Oprah, you may need to come out of retirement on this one.

Send me a PM and we will set up a day and time and keep an eye on the tides and conditions that will capture a part of our Downtown that people just dream about.

Your pictures will tell the story.

Who is that person sitting in the front that will Make it Happen?

Be concerned and keep score. I am. Onward.     
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 06:26:55 AM by Noone »

Noone

« Reply #53 on: July 16, 2011, 08:18:06 AM »
JAXUSA Partners. Special shoutout to you for this Downtown Jacksonville Urban Waterway Destination. Anyone in St.Johns, Clay, Putnam, Flagler, Nassau give me a call. 904-721-3321- River Access is an issue.   

CG7

« Reply #54 on: July 16, 2011, 10:11:21 AM »
I think McCoy's Creek has much more potential than Hogan's Creek. The paddle under the TU is awesome, and it would take way less of a clean up to be a shining jewel.

north miami

« Reply #55 on: July 16, 2011, 10:15:55 PM »
I think McCoy's Creek has much more potential than Hogan's Creek. The paddle under the TU is awesome, and it would take way less of a clean up to be a shining jewel.

McCoys and Hogans are joined at the hip with effective River,Downtown Advocacy.
Each Creek in a horse race,collective public cheering for both to cross the finish line.
Jacksonville is lucky to have two creek systems side by side.Huge swaths of the Nation,countless communities can only dream of even one.
Success with one will beg attention,empower the other.

Both Creeks an anchor,the balanced epicenter of a Downtown recreation Blueway stretching from Exchange Island to Roosevelt Blvd.,San Marco.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 10:23:33 PM by north miami »

Noone

« Reply #56 on: July 20, 2011, 06:24:29 AM »

Hogans and McCoys Creek each has there own independent and separate benefits. NM and I had a blast on Sunday with an extra high tide. Will the Mayor, new city council members, somebody immediately recognize this Urban Downtown Waterway Destination for small craft benefit?

Who wants to see this?

Special shoutout to anyone outside of Duval county.
JAXUSA
Downtown Vision
Anyone in the media.

billy

« Reply #57 on: July 20, 2011, 10:43:16 AM »
With McCoy's you can add kayak to the multi modal mix.

Noone

« Reply #58 on: August 28, 2011, 05:07:09 AM »
On Tues. 8/23/11 a pre hurricane Irene paddle of a number of unique Downtown Urban Waterway Destinations was experienced not only by me but sharing in this growing desire to have FUN on our Waterways were the owners of Up the Creek Expeditions Jennifer & Pete Koerner from St. Marys Georgia.

We met at River City Brewing and it was slightly overcast skies the river with a very light if at all chop on the water with an outgoing tide. I had previously met Jen and Pete and shared with them about some of the unique features of Downtown Jacksonville and  we were there to  check it out and Make It Happen. They allowed me to test drive one of their kayaks and I just loved it.

Safety is the number one concern and after checking our gear we were off to see the sights of our vibrant Downtown. We made our way over to McCoys Creek and just enjoyed the relaxed paddle. The activity that surrounds you has a WOW factor when you are in the center of our river and its next to impossible to not be noticed from both sides of the banks that people are just watching you paddle by.

As we are making our way under the railroad bridge the whistle goes off and we were waiting for the train and then when we saw someone walking out on the track then it appeared to be shift change. As we enter under the riverwalk and see the perverbial light at the end of the tunnel you immediately know that this is a definate bucket list activity if you are going to do if you VISIT JACKSONVILLE!

I was so excited to be sharing this with Jen and Pete. They were in front and as they emerge out of the darkness then navigate through the braces holding the walls in place you then round the bend and the steel is replaced by overhanging tree canopys that are a rookery for herons that creates an experience of nature that engulfs you with a contrast from the urban landscape that you just left behind you. You can just float for 100's of yards and experience this concentrated activity.

With a tree down and low tide we turn around and head back out. Going with the tide we hug the Northbank and just enjoy the paddle down past the Landing. We stopped but didn't go under the Hyatt parking lot. We go past the Promised 680' Downtown Public Pier. Continue on to the Maxwell House Plant. At Hogans Creek with time running out we took it across the rver and head back to River City Brewing.

It was an absolute pleasure to share this potential kayak tour possibility with them. The next day Jennifer, Pete, Tom Nickels, and I all had the opportunity to share the potential of kayaking Downtown at the Board meeting of Downtown Vision. A special thanks to Terry Lorrince for allowing everyone to share their observations and experiences.

Lunican

• The Jaxson
    • MetroJacksonville.com
« Reply #59 on: August 29, 2011, 09:11:30 PM »
Noone sent this video to me:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/pbVOcJzr9Mo?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/pbVOcJzr9Mo?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>