Author Topic: Downtown's Best Kept Secret: McCoys Creek  (Read 22291 times)

north miami

Re: Downtown's Best Kept Secret: McCoys Creek
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2010, 01:08:48 PM »
Just cutting the downed trees alone would make the creek accessible to kayaks and small boats entering from the St. Johns.  That basically amounts to a weekend of volunteer work.

Yeah, but just think of the cost of the antibiotics that would be required to cure the volunteers after the weekend work!

It would be interesting to draw on actual current water quality profile. Either current state info,if any,perhaps RiverKeeper or JU Marine Lab effort.........

north miami

« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2010, 02:11:05 PM »
Just cutting the downed trees alone would make the creek accessible to kayaks and small boats entering from the St. Johns.  That basically amounts to a weekend of volunteer work.

Yeah, but just think of the cost of the antibiotics that would be required to cure the volunteers after the weekend work!

It would be interesting to draw on actual current water quality profile. Either current state info,if any,perhaps RiverKeeper or JU Marine Lab effort.........

Our RiverKeeper informs me that the city may conduct McCoys water sampling as part of a tributary assessment program.

Dana Morton  DMorton@coj.net

mbstout

• aThousandPiecesOfMe
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2010, 05:19:18 PM »
Is it eligible as a Superfund Cleanup site?  Newtown Creek between - haha- Brooklyn and Queens, NY (it's terminus is 3 blocks from I live) just got approval on Monday:  http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/28/nyregion/28newtown.html?hp
Why would the TU build over this site?  If it's opened up and cleaned/cleared, it would be great to see a water taxi site by the proposed terminal.. also not sure if the Technical HS is anything now but looks like it would be great for a loft style conversion.. add the existing pathways, some canoe/kayak launching sites and this would be an amazing investment for the city!  How can they not realize that people are moving back to downtown areas all across the country and developments/renovations would follow with a type of amenity like this!

billy

« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2010, 05:20:40 PM »
what is Technical HS address or intersection?

Captain Zissou

« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2010, 05:26:35 PM »
what is Technical HS address or intersection?

It's on King Street at McCoy's Creek Blvd, about a half mile south of Beaver Street.  From Stockton to McDuff is really pretty.  The park is fairly well maintained and there are benches and tables every so often.  The surrounding neighborhood is rough, but if the parked were improved I think it would bring up the quality of the neighborhood as well.  I'm actually on my way there right now.

north miami

« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2010, 10:21:35 AM »
       ****   City Of Jacksonville  Tributary Assessment  Dana Morton  DMORTON@coj.net *****

Routine water quality monitoring (salinity,dissolved oxygen,Fecal Coliform) reveals:

"...McCoys Creek has done very well in the past couple of years.These may be surprising,but these tributaries have shown some real improvement"

"You may or may not know it;but there is a lot of thought,effort,and interest on Hogan Creek at the moment.Hogan and McCoys have long been a dream of being restored to some level of aesthetics and ecological function.Both present unique and difficult challenges and will take significant "grassroots" support to see any noticeable improvement or activity"

Sept.29,2010 email-Dana Morton
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 03:59:53 PM by north miami »

Dog Walker

« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2010, 12:03:02 PM »
Dana Morton, BTW, is one of the good guys in City government.  Been there long enough to know his stuff and really cares about what he does.
When all else fails hug the dog.

Noone

« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2010, 06:21:11 AM »
I've got a tandem kayak. Anybody want to travel under the TU? Send me a PM and we won't talk about it we'll do it.

Noone

« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2010, 05:23:38 AM »
Beautiful day today. Anybody want to see this urban wonder? We can do this or Hogans Creek. See for yourself what should be one of the biggest city council and mayoral campaign issues in the spring elections.

Bill Ectric

• Bill Ectric
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2010, 04:34:41 PM »
Ennis Davis, this is one of the best Metro Jax articles ever!

Noone

« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2010, 05:41:03 AM »
Taking somebody today under the TU. We'll be putting in at RCB around 7:30. If your in an office bldg. Downtown get out your telescope and if you post the color of the kayaks first on this thread I'll treat you at Roberts eatery at 8th and Ionia.

No guessing on the color of the kayaks. Although you can guess who will be the Jacksonville city council member that will introduce legislation that will keep the 680' Promised Downtown Public Pier separate from the 40 plus acres that was Shipyards/Landmar 2010-604  
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 06:09:03 PM by Noone »

Noone

« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2010, 11:16:51 AM »
Put in at 7:30 and experienced a lot. The rookery was alive with activity. It was a high tide and we made it past the fallen tree. A 4 engine Norfolk Southern was lumbering right next to us and it was a long train. The McCoys Creek is definately a tougher paddle crossing the river.

billy

« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2010, 01:41:47 PM »
Photos?

Noone

« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2010, 09:21:22 PM »
No pics today. We had a time crunch.
Plus my camera is broke and I forgot to get my wifes.

Will have some in the future. Anybody that wants to do this this let me know. Its a bucket list activity to experience in our Downtown.

north miami

« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2010, 10:07:59 AM »
      ****   City Of Jacksonville  Tributary Assessment  Dana Morton  DMORTON@coj.net *****

Routine water quality monitoring (salinity,dissolved oxygen,Fecal Coliform) reveals:

"...McCoys Creek has done very well in the past couple of years.These may be surprising,but these tributaries have shown some real improvement"

"You may or may not know it;but there is a lot of thought,effort,and interest on Hogan Creek at the moment.Hogan and McCoys have long been a dream of being restored to some level of aesthetics and ecological function.Both present unique and difficult challenges and will take significant "grassroots" support to see any noticeable improvement or activity"

Sept.29,2010 email-Dana Morton

Dana Morton comments worth repeating.

Noone,you rock! (but don't tip over!)