Author Topic: Downtown's Best Kept Secret: McCoys Creek  (Read 22293 times)

construction geek

Re: Downtown's Best Kept Secret: McCoys Creek
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2010, 03:07:59 PM »
Great job with the article, photos and numertous posts! Talk about potential!!! How about this for some ideas to help with the initial claustrophobia underneath the T/U building...
Convert the bottom floor to one of the following:
1) glass floor (or portions thereof) to be able to bring light into the space
2) remove the 1st floor level above the tunnel and create access points for a tour of the area beginning in the T/U bldg. (include displays of history of the McCoys Creek area, this would be great for tours from the local schools...)
3) or merely add lighting under the "tunnel" area.
A few more ideas...
A) organize volunteers to remove fallen branches in the creek to open up immediate access for canoes, etc.
B) work with businesses along the waterway (photo of Cash Bldg Mat for example) to shore up their bulkheads to clean up the properties adjoining the creek boundaries. (sounds like a simple marketing campaign).
C) work with city council and city movers and shakers to get the importance of this area to the forefront.
Explain how McCoys Creek ties not only to the history of our area but demonstrate how it can be used in education, recreation, creating opportunities for commerce, and for improving the value of the surrounding land.
D) use this as a springboard to for investmentment in the adjoining areas. This can be a very effective way to make our urban core more attractive to our population, creating a more vibrant downtown Jacksonville!

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2010, 06:00:46 PM »
How about "commisioning" one of our budding "urban artists" to paint a mural along the inside!
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

Coolyfett

• Mike Hogan Destruction Eruption!
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2010, 07:09:52 PM »
Lake You did this solo???? Man dude you got NUTS!!! Why do you keep calling MixonTown North Riverside??? Lol that creek is super dirty man. I used to notice it all the time at King Street, but at Myrtle & Stockton you dont even know its there.

Again Lake you are like Uncle Traveling Matt....The ash from that burner has hurt and made a lot of people sick in that area.
Mike Hogan Destruction Eruption!

Coolyfett

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2010, 07:21:26 PM »
Many of the ideas here would never work. The creek runs along two point five ghettos. Thats why FTU was allowed to cover it, they did Pottsburg the same way...Any creeks near ghettos gets covered and abandon. Good tour though.

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (DAMMIT!)
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICES
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2010, 10:22:00 PM »
So where does McCoy's Creek begin?  A small pond?  Lake? Sewer gutter? Drainage pond or ditch? Obviously it flows out to the St. John's River.  Maybe a lot of sewers flow out into it and it drains out to the St. Johns.  Just guessing here but if anyone knows please educate me.  Thanx.

"HU"
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal, or, access my Social Service Agency Facebook page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: https://www.facebook.com/FRESHSTARTSOCIALSERVICEAGENCY/; thank you!!!

Coolyfett

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2010, 02:18:15 AM »
So where does McCoy's Creek begin?  A small pond?  Lake? Sewer gutter? Drainage pond or ditch? Obviously it flows out to the St. John's River.  Maybe a lot of sewers flow out into it and it drains out to the St. Johns.  Just guessing here but if anyone knows please educate me.  Thanx.

"HU"

From what I remember it narrows out near Lenox Ave & connects to JEA sewer system under I10. From McDuff to King it pretty shallow and polluted with garbage. It gets deeper around Stockton.

Noone

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2010, 07:58:53 AM »
First we have to get a city council that doesnt have their head up their rear end..They could make this a community volunteer job and get it done..But the City Council cant vision that at all..

Timothyj67 welcome to the forum. You are absolutely right about our elected legislative representatives and that is why this upcoming Mayoral race and city council races are so important. I know I wouldn't support any candidate that wouldn't support a pocket pier for the contituents in their council districts and keeping the 680' Promised Downtown Public Pier separate (Outside the control of JEDC and the oversite of the Entertainment district that will be expanded with the flex space once the city regains ownership of the previous failed Shipyards/Landmar property.

It was a pleasure to share that day and trip with Lake. It is an urban wonder with what exists Downtown on our Waterways. Lake captures it with a vibrancy in his pictures and history of the subject matter.

Anybody want to see this in a kayak? North Miami I had the pleasure of participating in one of Howard Solomen's paddle trips. When he posted that he wanted to paddle Downtown with the tall ship festival I signed up. We had a blast. Two others participated. Howard was an inspiration to me and at the time we all paddled down to the Old Fuller Warren Bridge which was still a viable option for Public Access for the people of Jacksonville. We all know how that ended up.

But back to McCoys at one point you round the bend and enter into a rookery that explodes with the fluttering realization that humans have entered their space. We were in a small boat. But when you enter in a kayak and those birds are above you and depending on the tide you can float through and when they realize that you are below it has literally scared the S*%# out of them and its like rain drops falling off a limb that you have shaken after a rain.

Another bonus if you happen to be there when a train is going by and your below the tracks looking up and feeling another level of vibrancy that once it passes you are returned back to a surreal surrounding of tranquility.

north miami

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2010, 09:44:24 AM »
The River is a sum of it's parts, a "system" of which McCoys Creek is one telling piece.

The Trust For Public Land in yet another study did recently learn that the public is particularly attracted to the smaller creeks and water bodies of the River System.

Anne Schindler boiled it down to the essentials in this week's Folio editorial- River "advocacy" efforts spanning many years and administrations,the familiar poster promotions;the beauty,the economic value etc etc etc.
By dwelling on "Consensus" we have allowed our politics to get in the way of much effective river advocacy and implementation.Promoters of River Summit # 3 have not enjoyed a political bounce- daunting issues and emerging allegiances have created River Summit Plummet.

Indeed there have been positive strides.TMDL was a daunting task that included having the Florida Wildlife Federation at that table.
Interesting to note that the FWF seems adept at flying under the radar while other organizations have publicity committees.River advocates and organization speak of the need for 'education' which really refers to their own unfolding journey.

And it is true that much of the impacts to the river in our area originates from points south/upstream....and in classic River Summit Plummet, discussions on restoring a major tributary of the St.Johns,which, entailing an Everglades style "systems" approach which would speak of removing Rodman dam was off the table according to Mark Middlebrook as plans were being made for #3.And American Heritage River designation and the St.Johns River Alliance are an effective firewall in place against Ocklawaha restoration.No doubt this is "news" to most readers........

Euphoric references to "Everglades Style" restoration efforts in the face of the Ocklawaha missing link was simply the latest Summit Plummet twilight zone.

McCoys Creek,buried under the Florida Times Union,screaming for help,speaks volumes.

Perhaps a viable study subject for the J U Marine Science Center and possible restoration funding in part through Public Works Storm Water fee.

-N.M.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 01:27:02 PM by north miami »

ricker

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2010, 10:08:17 AM »
yet another reason to see that building... .  removed.
great article.
really a great set a visuals.

I can see it in my head:
Klutho, Confederate parks etc (the whole string along Boulevard from Shands) to the Shipyards [SEPARATE PUBLIC PIER], Riverwalks and McCoy Greenway with PS4 dogpark reaching to Animal Care & Control.

Who thinks we'll ever see the Northbank Riverwalk connect to a set of boatslips at Memorial Park beyond the Olmstead Gardens yet to be fully restored along the rear of the Cummer, or all the way to Villas at St. John's?

north miami

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2010, 11:38:33 AM »
Many of the ideas here would never work. The creek runs along two point five ghettos. Thats why FTU was allowed to cover it, they did Pottsburg the same way...

****   Any creeks near ghettos gets covered and abandon. Good tour though. ****

Coolyfett,I have been pondering your comment.

Could it be that a declining area resouce is a reflection of broader adjacent community malaise??
We could easily 'blame' the residents.
Water bodies have been a key driver behind demographic trends.Many  are attracted to coastal and water front feature community.Some living adjacent to water are simply there for other reasons and may not be particularly drawn to the resource and related propensity towards protective efforts.

There is a long standing list of imperiled Duval County water bodies profiled for "restoration"
The first on the list,a core Downtown water body,was attended to some degree rather quickly,due to Super Bowl prep and promotion.

The second water body on the list is imbedded near Downtown in a generally agreed non ghetto area.
Big & Little Fishweir Creeks meander through and along Riverside,Avondale and Woodmere street.The northerly shoreline of Big Fishweir defines the southwesterly boundary of the Riverside Avondale Preservation (RAP) district(and my back yard....).
The Creeks system extends through a couple of square miles extending to near Lane avenue.
The siltation sand bars and mud/sludge banks clearly visible at the Herschel street bridge area are clear testimony to an embarrasingly impaired system.For years a proposed joint City/Federal restoration project has languished.It's a sordid tale.Although the residents of this upscale area are prone to have interest they are no less prone to retreat in a sense of futility and disjointed direction.Viable 'news' reporting has been absent until recently.(Could it be the curse of McCoy's Times Union Creek??....)
Federal Corp of Engineers Jacksonville office Mike Hollingsworth,an area resident (and our first RiverKeeper) is a team member involved with the Fishweir project which has finally gained momentum during the past year,thanks to the City's Storm Water program direction and potential funding.In fairness to FTU,Ron Littlepage long ago arrived at the conclusion that only by increased tax/funding vehicle would Fishweir and the like be finally addressed.It has taken many years!!

And if the the St.Johns River System as a whole is suffering and subject to effectively flawed advocacy what does that suggest about regional community??
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 11:57:01 AM by north miami »

newzgrrl

« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2010, 04:17:04 PM »
Thanks for the photo tour. I felt a bit claustrophobic with those first photos in the canal! Also, I thought the river-creek junction had been reduced to the puddle between the railroad tracks and the press building, but I'm glad to see that's not the case.

Coolyfett

« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2010, 08:53:48 PM »
You just the area it covers once entering Brooklyn is kinda the slums. I used to walk/drive through there a lot and McCoys Creek was always a big ditch to me, I had no idea it actually connected to the St Johns though. After seeing these pics I can see where it gets lost in more than one place. The St Johns has so many branches and this is just one of many. Im sure the natives prior to Menedez-Ribualt used these water ways to get around, and probably even set up villages near them. Lots of history lost. I dont think the funds should be invested. I dont feel Times Union should be removed. The city walked away from that creek years ago. Just have to charge it to the game.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2010, 09:40:37 PM »
Just cutting the downed trees alone would make the creek accessible to kayaks and small boats entering from the St. Johns.  That basically amounts to a weekend of volunteer work.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Dog Walker

« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2010, 12:46:28 PM »
Just cutting the downed trees alone would make the creek accessible to kayaks and small boats entering from the St. Johns.  That basically amounts to a weekend of volunteer work.

Yeah, but just think of the cost of the antibiotics that would be required to cure the volunteers after the weekend work!
When all else fails hug the dog.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2010, 01:07:50 PM »
Lol.  Honestly, that could be said for just about any waterway in Duval County.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali