Author Topic: Downtown's Best Kept Secret: McCoys Creek  (Read 21174 times)

north miami

Re: Downtown's Best Kept Secret: McCoys Creek
« Reply #75 on: December 14, 2011, 07:21:39 AM »
last week a spontaneous visit with Noone turned in to typical MUWA,Masterful Urban Waterway Adventure.
WTDH elements. ( Whhaaatttt!?TheDamnHell). Bonus ASC.

This Adventure on foot,starting with Chelsea street.It has been our intent to review the recent Chelsea waterfront land clearing with the COJ,however relying on our gut,as a matter of strategy,may suffice.It is possible the clearing is related to the adjacent Apartment building owner's efforts to augment waterfront presence.COJ apparently conducted post clearing review.It's got the tone and feel of 'yee haa!",Urban Deliverance.In the great tradition,glad and chagrined I done did see the shoreline from the water before the Whack.A Sacred Catastrophe,the clearing rivets attention to ideal Public Hand Launch point,ready to go.

With three police cars,lights flashing,just down the street,we toured just upstream,waterfront lots for sale by owner (no money down!!!), and points adjacent to the Skyrail depot,the metal sided bluff wayyyyyy up high,overlooking the creek,Times Union building,Downtown Vista.
(Noone you are a wild man,hanging out,clinging to the fence,camera in hand)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 07:55:08 AM by north miami »

Noone

« Reply #76 on: December 15, 2011, 05:57:44 AM »
North Miami it was an adventure. And it just screamed FUN! And we have FUN!  THANK YOU for sharing with me places and people in Jacksonville that I've never been. It reinforces to me that the best access to the river for everyone is ahead of us.

Has any other MJ'er done a site inspection of Chelsea St. Its a CSI crime scene with nature as the evidence. With a swath of cut down trees and the stubbs of growth creating the larvae that in this case of destruction of habitat that will take years to recreate the Urban Waterway DOWNTOWN rookery trail that has the potential to be immediately wiped out in the spirit of cleaning up the neighborhood. Mayor Brown- McCoys Creek under the Times Union is a DOWNTOWN DESTINATION that will tell the world to VISIT JACKSONVILLE.

Spoke with Dave Roman with the administration and can't wait to go kayaking with the man. But just up the street is Brooklyn Park Dist.9 and just like Tomahawk Park Dist.5 the similarities are the same. Ock. Wait until you check this out. I've contacted the SJRWMD on this. Did anyone go to the Dec. 13 Board meeting in Palatka?   

At yesterdays Jacksonville Waterways Commission meeting the issue of access and the speakers were so many that I lost count. The attendence of the Recreational Fishing Alliance was doubled and future meetings will certainly swell the chambers. Black Creek Outfitters well represented. I'll post more of the meeting on another thread.

McCoys Creek. Lets Make It Happen.

Who's next?

Noone

« Reply #77 on: December 15, 2011, 05:48:16 PM »
When the senior policy adviser to Mayor Alvin Brown sends you an email to check out a kayak launch in Duval county you respond and that is just what I did today. Congratulations to the administration and the steps that they are taking to open up the Waterways outside the Urban Core.

I've recently have had the pleasure of talking with Dave Roman on a number of occasions and today's trip will certainly highlight the announcements that will be coming soon.

So with my assignment complete I took it to Brooklyn Park and the city crews were clearing the limbs along the creek inside the fence of the ballpark. I put in the kayak at Chelsea St. and took a quick trip under the Times Union.

It was an outgoing tide and I made this a fast paddle. The rookery with this fast explosion of paddling created a gathering flock pattern of activity pushing towards the river. Going past the fallen tree the tide was still high enough to take it over the trunk. Going under the pipes was another close ducking and holding that position till you got through it. The light at the end of the tunnel was inviting as you pop out into our vibrant Downtown.

The river was a slick calm and just took it out a couple of 100 yards and then back under the Times Union.
Now going against the tide you are definitely paddling harder. debris that was floating by you at the beginning of your trip is now passing you so much farther downstream. Each trip becomes more exciting than the previous.

What a great day to paddle our St. Johns River our American Heritage River a Federal Initiative.

Who's next?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 05:51:16 PM by Noone »

north miami

« Reply #78 on: December 15, 2011, 08:24:11 PM »
............. the best access to the river for everyone is ahead of us.

VISIT JACKSONVILLE.

McCoys Creek. Lets Make It Happen.

Who's next?

Noone

« Reply #79 on: December 16, 2011, 08:06:33 AM »
Who's next.

Who wants to see the design plaque that should be awarded to whoever is responsible for totally destroying a roosting canopy that was on McCoys Creek and is now gone. Check out the Waterfront street end at Stonewall and Chelsea St. Clear cut right to the edge.

What a joke. Who gets the credit for this disaster?  Palms Fish Camp???
This happened within two months. What was the ord. number? Not before Waterways?

Be concerned.
Keep score.

Anyone going to the Board meeting of the St. Johns River Alliance Nov. 17 1-3 pm Camp La No-Che in Pailey, Florida?

Was anyone with the St. Johns Riverkeeper notified of this wipeout of habitat?

Is this an example of a Public/Private Partnership?

Today is the one month anniversary of this Urban Waterway Disaster and has even one MJ'er gone and checked this out for themselves?

Where are the tree huggers? Sierra Club? Is this reminiscent of the old Pork Chop, Chop, Chop, Gang? Folio- Where are you? Who gets the brick? Bouquet? Walter Coker- Get out the lens. We spoke once before and I'd like to extend again that opportunity to show you this waterway. I'll bet you'll get some great bird pictures.

I've contacted the zoo and have been ignored. Whats up with that?

I have so much more to report on this as well as the recent 12/14/11  Jacksonville Waterways Commission meeting.

Be concerned.
Keep score.

We are............... In the Dark.
We need to be......In the Light.
                           Jacksonville.   

Noone

« Reply #80 on: December 18, 2011, 07:11:47 PM »
Today answering a response to Make a scene on a Future Downtown Waterway Destination that should have its own Billboard was myself and Robert of Robert's Eatery. We have paddled Hogans Creek before but to see the vibrancy of the bird rookery and then to go under the Times Union.

What a beautiful day. Conditions were perfect. We had planned on going earlier but the later time did make for an easier paddle. High outgoing tide. The bird life is what our city leaders need to embrace as our city leaders want to make Downtown a Destination and we want to open up our Waterways especially to our Regional Partners.

One homeless camp had a good fire going. It was a quiet paddle and the birds were visible up close as we would glide under the numerous tree canopies. We made it under the pipes and the 1929 marker is very pronounced as we enter the tunnel. We pop out into the River and the sun and calm river was inviting to take it to  the Ram dock or head toward Downtown and the Historic Promised 680' Downtown Public Pier. Imagine a kayak launch on the first 25' or 50' of the pier? The Jacksonville city council can still Make It Happen. I digress. Think safety zones.

Anyway we are taking it back under and just enjoying the time on the water. Some of the trees are bare of leaves and you have better visual opportunities to see the birds. We continue back to Brooklyn Park the Carolina Skiff is still there.

Another nice day. What was so noticeably different was that being in that part of the city on a Sunday is the inactivity and this continues when you are loaded up and driving around and this continued on as I took it to Forsyth and Downtown.   

What a great day with Robert.

Who's next?   

Noone

« Reply #81 on: December 28, 2011, 05:47:43 AM »
Pocket Parks - Pocket Piers. What an opportunity for Mayor Brown, the community of Brooklyn, Daniel O'Byrne of Visit Jacksonville, Terry Lorrince of Downtown Vision, Councilman Don Redman chair of the Jacksonville Waterways Commission, Councilman Warren Jones, Aaron Bowman commissioner of FIND. Lad Daniels chair of the governing Board of the SJRWMD.

Who wants to kayak under Riverside Ave. and the Times Union?  Great tides. 

Visit Jacksonville?
         or
Don't Visit Jacksonville?

904-721-3321-h
904-434-0839-c

Jacksonville-Khan Make It Happen

north miami

« Reply #82 on: December 28, 2011, 08:03:09 AM »
                          Carolina Skiff                   FL 3661 LP

Recall earlier alert to Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission Division of Law Enforcement Officer
Robert Brienza (robert.brienza@MyFWCC.com); Derelict vessel.

Officer Brienza called me during on site response ( complete with Safety Backup....)seeking particulars as to location of the vessel.At the time I was not familiar with shoreline coordinates-the Ghost Ship eluded capture and removal.

On December 27 I again alerted Officer Brienza and provided more specific details,suggested access point.

There had been discussion of bagging the McCoy trophy ourselves......a dandy display!......however I opted for State Agency attention,inducing familiarity with the Secret Waterway.

onward-
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 08:07:22 AM by north miami »

Noone

« Reply #83 on: January 31, 2012, 08:57:42 PM »
NM the Carolina Skiff is still there.

Paddled McCoys Creek and still in awe with the bird activity that greeted us throughout our paddle out to our St. Johns River our American Heritage River a Federal Initiative. A train added another level of excitement to our journey.

Who's next?

north miami

« Reply #84 on: January 31, 2012, 10:00:22 PM »

FL 3661 LP

FWCC  Derelict Vessel Program

Does anyone else give a damn about a derelict ghost boat abandoned on McCoys?? Light a fire under FWCC??
Do I have to have lunch with Cathy Barco??

RiverKeeper raffle?? Free T shirts!!!!

« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 10:04:33 PM by north miami »

Noone

« Reply #85 on: March 24, 2012, 11:14:25 PM »
Low tides in the am. Ideal conditions.

Who's next?

Noone

« Reply #86 on: March 25, 2012, 05:03:11 PM »
Today was another epoch paddle of a Downtown Waterway Destination and it started at Sidney Gefen Park. Beautiful day and as I approached the entrance to the underground tunnel of McCoys Creek that goes under the TU I was welcomed by a two engine Norfolk Southern. To be on the water and view the entire process is an experience. The mullet were jumping everywhere.

The paddle in was to see if I could spot any roosting nests of the green herons. As you round the bend the rookery was alive with a dozen just flying off. I took a stealth paddle all the way to the back of McCoys were you  encounter the pipe and can't go any further. The path that CG7 and I cleared is working out well.

North Miami I'm happy to report that the Carolina Skiff is gone. Somebody Made It Happen! It was a slow paddle out and I was trying very hard to be quiet. So are you ready for this. Probably about 4-500 yards up was all this activity in the water. I'm trying to figure out what it was. A manatee? Gator? birds? But the closer I got and just looking at the maneuvering in and out of the water I want to say it was the Otter of McCoys Creek. I've encountered nutria before and have seen otters before as well. I have to go with an otter. It was so cool.

During this time on the water a 3 engine Norfolk Southern came rambling by and there is a part of the creek that you are below the track and it is always exciting and then it passes and you are returned to the silence and the nature that surrounds you.

The paddle back to Geffen Park was met with some wind gusts but managable. Now I was off to check out Bay St. Pier Park and the dredge at Hogans Creek. Metropolitan Park was closed and I followed a group that could't get in. The access is very restricted.

Noone

« Reply #87 on: April 09, 2012, 06:39:09 AM »
Who's Next?
Special shout out to anyone with the TRUST for Public Lands.
Special shout out to the North Florida Land TRUST.
Special shout out to the Public TRUST.
Special shout out to the Artificial Reef TRUST Fund 2009-442 (Jacksonville's Downtown Citizens Reef)
Special shout out to anyone who will write a check for a buck to anything that you TRUST.
We Khan Make It Happen.

Jdog

« Reply #88 on: April 09, 2012, 09:20:50 AM »
Noone (or anybody):

The Jax Daily Record stated in its article concerning the modifications to the Brooklyn development:

"Another change from the original site plan is improved pedestrian access at the north side of the development in anticipation of future improvements to the McCoy’s Creek area..."

Is there some conceptual plan / idea out there already?

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #89 on: April 09, 2012, 09:44:26 AM »
Yes, there is a McCoys Creek Greenway concept that has been available for some years.  There is a budget item(currently unfunded) in the capital improvement project list for the greenway and a conceptual plan.  You would need to contact Public Works for the actual plans and there is a fee to do so.