Author Topic: Downtown's Best Kept Secret: McCoys Creek  (Read 22932 times)

north miami

Re: Downtown's Best Kept Secret: McCoys Creek
« Reply #60 on: September 13, 2011, 09:04:25 PM »

-------- For related McCoys Creek see Downtown/Noone Hogans Creek Trifecta --------------

N.M.

Noone

« Reply #61 on: September 16, 2011, 05:42:16 AM »
Who's next?

Noone

« Reply #62 on: September 23, 2011, 10:22:56 AM »
Just got back from another WOW! paddle of McCoys Creek. Put in at 8:30 and back at 9:30 to catch Schindler, Burr, Ross on First Coast Connect.

Hey Jacksonville. Allow people to connect with our St. Johns River our American Heritage River. Especially Downtown!

After seeing some of the morning live news broadcasts and the shots of the river it wasn't rocket science to see how beautiful the morning is on our Waterway.

Brought two kayaks in case those with the emails and pm's and phone calls were able to Make It Happen.

Put in at RCB high tide. and the river is glass. People are shrimping off to the left and fishing too. Go under the train tracks and I'm catching the last of the incoming. Picking up some floating debris. Make it under the TU and I'm heading back to the rookery.

I wanted to enter this super large bird cage in a silent approach and just stare at the tree canopy that is holding a varied species of herons that call this urban waterway cage home.

I had success immediately as I see birds directly above me and unaware of my presence. I'm a couple of 100 yards in and the phone rings. I answer it. "You've missed the boat buddy." Go to metjax and under neighborhoods and McCoys Creek and I'll tell you where I'm at. In the meantime I'm telling him about the great Blue Heron that is on top of a tree with two other heron species in the adjacent tree. A squirrel is on the branches about 30' over the water just adding to an interesting cluster of wildlife. I'm on the phone and the tide is turning while I'm talking and just floating by this visual wonder that is in the heart of our Urban Core. I haven't hung up. I'm still on the phone and I'm now telling them about the pipes that are holding the bulkheads in from collapsing. He is at home sitting on his couch and I'm saying don't worry about it. I'll show you another part of this 310 mile river later. Its part of a puzzle and everyone has a piece so as to be part of it.

Took it back to the ramp light clean up. and very shortly I'll be going over the water on one of our bridges and just an hour ago I was on the water under one of our bridges.

Who's next?

« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 10:25:54 AM by Noone »

Noone

« Reply #63 on: November 16, 2011, 08:09:07 AM »
Who's next.

Who wants to see the design plaque that should be awarded to whoever is responsible for totally destroying a roosting canopy that was on McCoys Creek and is now gone. Check out the Waterfront street end at Stonewall and Chelsea St. Clear cut right to the edge.

What a joke. Who gets the credit for this disaster?  Palms Fish Camp???
This happened within two months. What was the ord. number? Not before Waterways?

Be concerned.
Keep score.

Anyone going to the Board meeting of the St. Johns River Alliance Nov. 17 1-3 pm Camp La No-Che in Pailey, Florida?

Was anyone with the St. Johns Riverkeeper notified of this wipeout of habitat?

Is this an example of a Public/Private Partnership?

JeffreyS

• Demand Evidence and Think Critically.
« Reply #64 on: November 16, 2011, 09:41:19 AM »

Here is a picture I took four weeks ago in Chicago. Notice the Kayaks, Commuter train, new buildings and historical buildings all in one scene. Chicago is a great example of highlighting your waterways instead of hiding them.
Lenny Smash

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #65 on: November 16, 2011, 09:50:55 AM »
I don't have the pictures with me at work, but Chicago also has floating docks with which to launch kayaks from.

The great thing about Jax is, we don't need expensive floating docks. 

Noone

« Reply #66 on: November 19, 2011, 08:37:59 PM »
Launching at a warefront Public Access street end at Chelsea and Stonewall that was just gutted to the waters edge next to Brooklyn Park makes you realize that you don't ask you just go for it. The small curious gathering that was witnessing my emergence into this waterway were all wishing me well.

It was an incoming tide with overcast skies. A few herons that would have been behind the 25' natural buffer were fully exposed as they traveled the middle of the creek. The train tracks are now clearly visible on the other side. With a high tide the launch was within seconds. I immediately headed to the cavernous tunnel of the Times Union.

Chelsea and Stonewall is farther up the creek and beyond some of the other obstructions that you can't get by on a low tide. The bird activity was strong and good to see. This far up the creek you do run into more homeless camps and I did. As I made my way to the pipes that are supporting the bulkheads the water level is high and was challenging going under. With overcast skies the tunnel just seemed darker.

I pop out under the Riverwalk and there are people riding their bikes and walking the Riverwalk. I see a boat docked at the Riverside Arts Market. Brown pelicans and sea gulls are just gathering and feeding in the middle of the river. Still an incoming tide and some light gusts. I take it back under the TU. Get back to the pipes and I'm just as low in the kayak as I can get and instead of using the paddle I'm using my hands to just pull myself through.

Once through it was now a very relaxed paddle back. The debris fields are just as strong as they are on Hogans Creek. Moving forward I hope the community recognizes that what makes the Downtown Urban Waterway Destination special is the bird activity. The poop plops of a ripple in an otherwise undisturbed waterway is the sign that a bird is just ahead of you or to your right or left. And its dozens of birds. Wayne Wood lets paddle McCoys or Hogans creek. Its another bird story.

I continue on and go past Chelsea and Stonewall and encounter the pipe that is behind Brooklyn Park. The Carolina Skiff is still there and will be hauled out of there. Any helpers? I'll be contacting Vivian Harrel as she so eloquently likes to call it I believe that she will also say that McCoys Creek is not a fluff site.

Who's next?   

north miami

« Reply #67 on: November 20, 2011, 07:17:18 AM »

Tedious sounding Final TMDL Report:Lower St Johns Basin,MccCoy Creek WBID 2257 FDEP NE District June 2009
 Is a good source of information on McCoy Creek features.

north miami

« Reply #68 on: November 20, 2011, 08:21:51 AM »
It' a mysterious Jungle out there!........

So we hear Derelict Vessel FL 3661 LP is still on the drift,having eluded the Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission
Search,complete with safety backup.

Looks like a job for Masterful Urban Waterway Debris Hunter

Who we 'gonna call??!!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 08:24:19 AM by north miami »

tayana42

« Reply #69 on: November 22, 2011, 01:00:33 AM »
Fantastic report; I want to kayak McCoys Creek!

Overstreet

« Reply #70 on: November 22, 2011, 08:34:42 AM »
................I wanted to enter this super large bird cage in a silent approach and just stare at the tree canopy that is holding a varied species of herons that call this urban waterway cage home.

I had success immediately as I see birds directly above me and unaware of my presence. ...................

I used to canoe under a blue heron roost on the Fall Creek in Indianapolis. When approaching we would beat the side of the canoe to startle the birds. Their response was a bombing barrage of white goo.  This was preferable to the barrage as we passed.  DO NOT STARTLE THE BIRDS WHEN YOU ARE UNDER THEM.

Noone

« Reply #71 on: December 04, 2011, 07:20:34 PM »
Had a huge post on today's paddle of McCoys Creek and lost it. I think it was on my end.

Today making a scene on an urban Downtown Waterway Destination in a yet to be created Independent Authority Zone was CG7 and I

We had a mission and goal.

Fun was one.

Clearing a Navigable pass by the huge fallen tree was another. We did it.

CG7 then saw for himself Chelsea St.

That needs to be added to the Jacksonville Waterways FIND subcommittee list of potential canoe and kayak launches that will then be presented to the Jacksonville Waterways Commission that will then be taken to the Jacksonville city council that will then be forwarded to the Commissioners of FIND appointed by the Governor and representing the east coast of the state of Florida that will then come back to Jacksonville that will ultimately allow all of us to access, promote, celebrate, preserve our St. Johns River our American Heritage River a Federal Initiative. 

Who's next? 

Noone

« Reply #72 on: December 07, 2011, 09:40:07 AM »
CG7 our efforts were successful. Took someone yesterday and we got through on low tide. Want to take someone from the Jacksonville Zoo. Who would be the best person to see this Urban Downtown Waterway rookery before it is destroyed?

Lets continue to Make It Happen.

CG7

« Reply #73 on: December 07, 2011, 12:21:24 PM »
Glad to hear our efforts paid off. The zoo to downtown connection if done correctly would be awesome. I am emailing various waterway and Florida Inland Navigation district (FIND) members to see how to get more areas opened to non-motorized craft. We have a special place here in J'ville I just wish more people realized it.

Noone

« Reply #74 on: December 14, 2011, 06:59:54 AM »
Who's next?

Just read Littlepage in todays Times Union so a special shoutout to kayak an Urban Waterway Downtown Destination that leads to our St. Johns River our American Heritage River a Federal Innitiative to Herschel Vineyard, Donald Forgione, Bob Joseph, Rachel Cone, Kelly Boree, Mayor Alvin Brown, Tera Meeks (She has said yes to a paddle, I'm one happy papoose), Barbara Goodman,

Jacksonville Waterways Commission meeting in 2 1/2 hours.

Who wants to be a 501-c?