Author Topic: Downtown's Best Kept Secret: McCoys Creek  (Read 20523 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Downtown's Best Kept Secret: McCoys Creek
« on: September 24, 2010, 03:03:22 AM »
Downtown's Best Kept Secret: McCoys Creek

Metro Jacksonville takes a trip under the Times-Union Building to see what exists on the other side.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2010-sep-downtowns-best-kept-secret-mccoys-creek

billy

Re: Downtown's Best Kept Secret: McCoys Creek
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 06:56:30 AM »
Maybe this is the Jax version of the (NY Brooklyn) Gowanus Canal. Great job.
What is the address of Technical High? Is it empty?

mmware

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 07:18:06 AM »
Another nice photo shoot. Many folks would not go into the tunnel.
The area of the creek between 95 & west of King St. has had a long standing problem with flooding. Recently retention ponds have been used which may help but during a strong rain, the street is impassable.

Garden guy

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 07:31:18 AM »
Seems like it should be a sin to let moving water and the land that surrounds it to go to squaller like this. Looks like it could be the cities newest central park...what it all could be?

Keith-N-Jax

• Around the World
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 07:36:41 AM »
Another hidden treasure.

uptowngirl

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 07:40:50 AM »
Great story! What is going on with Technical High now?

Overstreet

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 07:55:24 AM »
With all the bulkhead walls it might be better described as McCoys Ditch. Confining the creek like that increases the hazard level of the water way. Flood wise it backs up water to flood farther up stream. Walkers would have a hard time getting out if they fell in.

Much of the "tunnel" is the newspaper building. It seems like it flows under the mail room/ press room addition of the building. W.E. Arnold construction company built that addition years ago. The ground underneath was infilled with rubble from some demolished buildings. It was difficult for them to get the pilings through the rubble.

You wouldn't want to go in the tunnel during our higher tides or high rain water events.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 08:22:50 AM »
Great article... "To Boldly go where... No one has been in quite awhile!" :D  A modern day urban Lewis and Clark exploration!  I am assuming a two man expedition... Ennis and his trusty companion...?
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 08:54:59 AM »
I was Noone's trusty companion (with a camera of course).
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2010, 09:00:11 AM »
You are a brave man Ennis!   :)
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

north miami

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2010, 09:55:56 AM »
When I think of flawed River advocacy efforts aided and abetted by the Florida Times Union Editorial Board (and yes,that often includes Ron Littlepage) and Mayor Delaney's early euphoric references to restoring a "pristine River", evolving River Summit Plummet the spectre of this dank concrete tunneled,constricted waterway passing underneath the FTU building is quite the metaphor.
Spooky weird underneath the FTU in a butt water level kayak.Kinda' like a feeling I had once when meeting with a FTU Editor (The One who had Reagan memorabilia on his screen saver)

On another positive note,McCoys Creek yet again another Downtown waterway feature screaming "Potential".
Could be a segment of Downtown small craft loop.

Great photos and effort here MJ!!

Howard Soloman and I had planned to paddle McCoys............
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 10:17:13 AM by north miami »

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (DAMMIT!)
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICES
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2010, 10:33:29 AM »
Wow!  What a tour.  If it were not for the over passes and other man made artifacts letting us know that a City even existed, I would swear I was 80 miles west out in the wilderness with a small creek cutting through a forest. Someone needs to use their imagination and take advantage of this small and potentially even more beautiful creek and waterway and mesh it in with the City infrastructure.

"HU"
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal, or, access my Social Service Agency Facebook page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: https://www.facebook.com/FRESHSTARTSOCIALSERVICEAGENCY/; thank you!!!

timothyj67

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2010, 10:59:38 AM »
First we have to get a city council that doesnt have their head up their rear end..They could make this a community volunteer job and get it done..But the City Council cant vision that at all..

Dog Walker

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2010, 11:39:41 AM »
I can remember being completely outraged that putting a building over a waterway was allowed because it was obvious that it would keep the rest of the creek and surroundings to ever be connected to the river again.

The crime that keeps on giving!
When all else fails hug the dog.

simms3

• Time has come
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2010, 12:42:11 PM »
Extremely interesting.  Would make me very claustrophobic.  The potential reminds me what Indianapolis has done with their canal.  It seems similar in scope/size/location in relation to downtown.
Bothering locals and trolling boards since 2005