Author Topic: Friendship Fountain Restoration Project To Break Ground  (Read 43138 times)

tufsu1

Re: Friendship Fountain Restoration Project To Break Ground
« Reply #300 on: February 05, 2012, 10:52:35 AM »
what phase 2...you mean the riverwalk?

peestandingup

« Reply #301 on: February 05, 2012, 01:28:45 PM »
Are they still playing the same patriotic songs that they were doing when it opened?? I haven't been in a while, but something tells me they are. Hearing about the random maintenance issues sort of goes hand in hand with this. Meaning, aside from any major issues, they seem like they expect the fountain to just run itself. That's not to discredit Bob & the rest of the crew that worked on it. They did a hell of a job.

But it really needs some sort of planning commission that regularly changes things up, schedules events, garners public interest & overseas these general things. I know its "just a fountain", but if they want this to be the sorta center of the urban core, then its kind of important to not let it stagnate. Jax seems like it loves to do that sorta thing.

duvaldude08

« Reply #302 on: February 05, 2012, 03:02:29 PM »

Im trying to remember exactly what they called it, but there were some sort of shaded walkway there were supposed to around the side of the fountain. (side side near the river), If you look at the renderings it is on there. That was supposed to be Phase two of the restore, but they still havent done it yet.
Jaguars 2.0

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #303 on: February 05, 2012, 03:31:07 PM »
Pee, they have different programs they play through the year. Over the holidays it was a (secular) holiday theme and music. I haven't been over there since then.

dd, I believe that might have been part of the river walk restoration, if I'm thinking of the same thing you are.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #304 on: February 05, 2012, 04:57:18 PM »
What musical program would you prefer PSU?  Sinatra?  Hiphop? Classic rock? Perhaps a request line so we could let em know what we are feelin at any given time... :)
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #305 on: February 05, 2012, 11:01:07 PM »
What musical program would you prefer PSU?  Sinatra?  Hiphop? Classic rock? Perhaps a request line so we could let em know what we are feelin at any given time... :)

SKYNYRD and BLACK OAK ARKANSAS!

Bativac

« Reply #306 on: February 06, 2012, 07:23:36 AM »
^Thats not what I'm talking about. It was an observation and just curious as to the maintenace that appears to be needing to be done and has been done. Cracks in concrete, pavers loose, I was just hearing these other guys talk about it. I'm not nit pickin. The Fountain is awesome.

The two way and roundabout has helped connect Downtown...agreed. The pavers needed to be replaced or fixed or something.

I was out at the fountain last week with out-of-town guests and noticed the loose pavers. My wife tripped on one and several of them would come right up out of the ground with little effort. Also, it was around 8:30 and there was no music, and the lights were dimmed - is this a regular thing? Or were we there on two "off nights"?

The city did a fantastic job renovating the fountain and the park. I really hope the site doesn't suffer the same lack of maintenance that every other Jacksonville improvement project seems to suffer.

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #307 on: February 06, 2012, 09:33:28 AM »
Didn't someone post someplace that the 'show' only runs every 30 minutes or something like that? In any case, been there, done that, and it's well worth the effort. I found that there is a direct correlation between the beauty of the fountain and the amount of Rebel Yell one has ingested!

Our fountain is typical of JAXTHINK, though it IS beautiful, there is not much cutting edge about it.

Sorry to say, Medellin, Colombia's is prettier, but there is NO REASON except maybe $$ that we couldn't add this element. Frankly I'd love to see us do "screens" of water off of the Acosta Bridge with laser holograms protested against them. In short a bigger version of Medellin's fountain, gaurin-damn-teed to get the attention of every Yankee tourist passing us on I-95.

IMAGINE BRINGING A LITTLE 3RD WORLD TO JAX SOUTHBANK!

GO TO FULL SCREEN MODE, YOUR ABOUT TO BE BLOWN AWAY!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/08FbXv_1qb4?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/08FbXv_1qb4?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>
Just to rub it in a bit, the little birds are talking about the city being a wonderful place to live, look closely as they are "on" the MetroCable system. Discussion about being a city of Universities, wonderful water, great transit and, and, ...why the hell did I come back to Jacksonville? Somebody please remind me!

KenFSU

« Reply #308 on: February 06, 2012, 09:41:56 AM »
WHOA.

I have never seen anything like that.

Coolest thing I've seen all week.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #309 on: February 06, 2012, 09:44:17 AM »

Im trying to remember exactly what they called it, but there were some sort of shaded walkway there were supposed to around the side of the fountain. (side side near the river), If you look at the renderings it is on there. That was supposed to be Phase two of the restore, but they still havent done it yet.

I think you're talking about the pergola with swinging benches:

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

duvaldude08

« Reply #310 on: February 06, 2012, 10:06:58 AM »

I think you're talking about the pergola with swinging benches:

Yes!! OMg thank you. I had no idea what it was called. LOL
Jaguars 2.0

Dog Walker

« Reply #311 on: February 06, 2012, 10:56:14 AM »
Thanks for the video, Ock!  We hear so much Mexican and Cuban around here that it is a real pleasure to hear Colombian.

There are also some fountains that make pictures and words by interrupting multiple streams of water.  Sort of a ink jet with water.
When all else fails hug the dog.

KenFSU

« Reply #312 on: February 06, 2012, 12:55:35 PM »
Can anyone confirm seeing the music show running in the last month?

I've been in the area two evenings this month and have not seen it.

tufsu1

« Reply #313 on: February 06, 2012, 01:41:00 PM »
not sure if the music was playing, but the lights were on strong last night

Debbie Thompson

« Reply #314 on: February 06, 2012, 02:21:02 PM »
Now if only there were some public parking at the fountain.  If there is, we couldn't find it.  The public parking spaces that used to be there have apparently been turned over to the restaurant...all of them.  Is there any free public parking at the fountain?