Author Topic: Friendship Fountain Restoration Project To Break Ground  (Read 40384 times)

peestandingup

Re: Friendship Fountain Restoration Project To Break Ground
« Reply #285 on: June 19, 2011, 01:38:25 AM »
Was there at dusk & most the night. REALLY impressive. I was taken back how massive & awesome it is. Good job to everyone who worked on it. It's really something.

Plenty of activity around it, kids playing, grownups, couples, etc. There were also a lot of people walking on the bridge. The Landing & around Bay had a lot of activity too. Jax is actually starting to look alive. :)

Shot from the Landing at dusk.

Cheers, fountain!

On Main St Bridge

« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 01:42:43 AM by peestandingup »

peestandingup

« Reply #286 on: June 19, 2011, 01:40:57 AM »
Here's a video too: http://vimeo.com/25296110

BTW, sorry if any of these suck. Used my cell phone camera.

Anyways, I'd encourage everyone to go see it in person. Pics & videos don't do it justice.

tufsu1

« Reply #287 on: June 19, 2011, 06:48:40 PM »
was driving down Main Street today...you can see the fountain (when center pumps are high) all the way up to 1st St in Springfield

north miami

« Reply #288 on: June 19, 2011, 08:00:01 PM »

Thank you Bob Johnson. whoever you are,you are an Angel.

By the way, a run to Downtown Jacksonville........and The Fountain!!........is a proven popular signature Jacksonville Boating activity.

Bob_Johnson

• Home of Friendship Fountain
« Reply #289 on: June 20, 2011, 10:11:26 AM »
north miami thanks very much but I can promise I am no Angel (My wife will attest to that) just a guy who thinks that Friendship Fountain is the single most recognizable landmark in Jacksonville, FL and as such should be celebrated :)

Speaking of Celebrating Not only was there a good sized crowd for the grand reopening but an even larger crowd saw the patriotic program run for the first time at night on Saturday evening.  Then on Sunday I took a ride on down to the Fountain and was there for over an hour and at no time was there less then a dozen or more folks.

Again folks taking pictures all around the Fountain, and the water features appeared to be using a random combination of patterns, including the Center ring shooting to it's max height at one time.

I took a couple of hundred pictures some of which can be seen at the below link, some of these will end up on shirts at CafePress and CustomInk.

http://jaxfountain.com/Gallery/Jun192011

I also believe that the First Wedding at the Renovated Fountain was held yesterday afternoon and I have received three inquiries about how to schedule a Wedding at the Fountain in the last 24 hours so if you know anyone that will be getting married in the Future you may want to suggest considering a Friendship Fountain wedding :)

Also if anyone that has been married at the Fountain or gets married there in the Future will send a picture or pictures I am planning on starting a Friendship Fountain Wedding Album as part of the Fountain Gallery web site.

-Bob
JaxFountain.com

Dapperdan

« Reply #290 on: June 20, 2011, 10:15:40 AM »
Next up, Bob, is the Riverwalk reconstruction, hopefully that goes as smoothly. It is nice to see this area of town get some much needed maintenance and I think 3.1 million was a bargain for this.

Fallen Buckeye

« Reply #291 on: June 20, 2011, 12:24:48 PM »
I was told by the people at MOSH that weddings there are really cheap, too. I think that they said like $35 to rent the park. For comparison, I think we're paying like $400 an hour to rent the roof of MOSH.

Bob_Johnson

« Reply #292 on: June 20, 2011, 02:36:16 PM »
The permit for a Wedding at a City Park is only $35.00 including Friendship Fountain park.

The challenge is trying to figure out who/how to contact for the permit and I have brought that to the City's attention, in the meantime it is best to just call 630-CITY to try and get to the right location.

-Bob
JaxFountain.com

Bob_Johnson

Additional Improvements Slated for Friendship Fountain
« Reply #293 on: June 30, 2011, 04:10:45 PM »
Yesterday I spoke with Eric Lindstrom with the JEDC and he let me know that we are not completely finished with the Renovation of Friendship Fountain and Park.

Starting in the middle of September 2011 they will begin construction on a Pergola to the east side of Friendship Fountain as can be seen in the below drawing.

This should really enhance the Fountain and park even further :)

An additional "Downtown" music program will also be produced and there is also discussion regarding painting the outside wall of the Fountain and Pumphouse to match the Columns paint color, which would certainly freshen up the overall look...

I also got to see the full Christmas program last night during a test and the colors used in the program are simply awesome and below is one segment of the Christmas program I thought just ROCKED!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gST9Y2QpkPM

All of the videos from last night's test can be seen here. (Sound isn't very good as there was a lot of wind noise)
http://www.youtube.com/JaxFountain

Some pictures are located here:
http://jaxfountain.com/Gallery/Jun292011

-Bob

JaxNative68

• Be obscure clearly
« Reply #294 on: June 30, 2011, 04:17:05 PM »
pretty darn cool.  I don't remember it ever looking like that as a child.  love it!

KenFSU

« Reply #295 on: June 30, 2011, 04:22:47 PM »
Man, an absolutely awesome renovation just keeps getting better. I love the idea of adding a pergola, love the idea of a "downtown" themed fountain show, and love the idea of painting the outside walls of the fountain and pump house. Thanks for the update Bob.

Noone

« Reply #296 on: February 05, 2012, 04:24:49 AM »
Just an observation. Was at the Fountain yesterday and it was a nice crowd. Everyone getting their pictures taken and the Fountain is with out a doubt the centerpiece of Downtown. I'm walking around  the west side of the Fountain and I can't help but hear some guys commenting on the surrounding landscape and how concrete is cracked and repairs are going to have to be made and we are just 7 months into this.

I slow my cadence and wait for them to walk on and I walk up on the elevated grassy sandy patches to see what they are commenting about. I was only in the area about 15 minutes but it did make me focus on some of their comments and concerns.

We had to redo the street in front of the Landing.

tufsu1

« Reply #297 on: February 05, 2012, 07:31:25 AM »
to be honest noone, the roundabout in front of the Landing has changed the whole feel of that area...and making Laura two-way has helped connect downtown.....plus the southbank riverwalk is about to be redone

Noone

« Reply #298 on: February 05, 2012, 09:22:31 AM »
^Thats not what I'm talking about. It was an observation and just curious as to the maintenace that appears to be needing to be done and has been done. Cracks in concrete, pavers loose, I was just hearing these other guys talk about it. I'm not nit pickin. The Fountain is awesome.

The two way and roundabout has helped connect Downtown...agreed. The pavers needed to be replaced or fixed or something.

duvaldude08

« Reply #299 on: February 05, 2012, 10:47:40 AM »
Actually, speaking of the fountain, when is Phase Two supposed complete? I hope they dont abandon it in typical Jacksonville style.
Jaguars 2.0