Author Topic: Friendship Fountain Restoration Project To Break Ground  (Read 42348 times)

JeffreyS

• Demand Evidence and Think Critically.
Re: Friendship Fountain Restoration Project To Break Ground
« Reply #210 on: May 27, 2011, 03:32:20 PM »
Is it going to be on at night during the Jazz Fest?
Lenny Smash

Bob_Johnson

• Home of Friendship Fountain
« Reply #211 on: May 27, 2011, 10:52:17 PM »
I do not have the full details for all of the Southbank renovations but I understand some basics...

Wood walkway replaced with Concrete
Old Maritime Museum bldg removed
Some changes to the actual course of the Riverwalk at some points...

Jeffrey I doubt that the Fountain will be running nightly (at least with lights) until closer to Jun 18...

-Bob

JC

« Reply #212 on: May 27, 2011, 11:02:17 PM »
Do we know who the contractor is on this project?

Bob_Johnson

« Reply #213 on: May 28, 2011, 12:57:04 AM »

Looks like Haskell Company...

http://www.metrojacksonville.com/forum/index.php/topic,10199.0.html

A really good post on the Southbank with current images and Artist renderings of the changes is here:
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2011-may-southbank-riverwalk-plan-unveiled

-Bob
JaxFountain.com

JC

« Reply #214 on: May 28, 2011, 06:57:52 AM »

Looks like Haskell Company...

http://www.metrojacksonville.com/forum/index.php/topic,10199.0.html

A really good post on the Southbank with current images and Artist renderings of the changes is here:
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2011-may-southbank-riverwalk-plan-unveiled

-Bob
JaxFountain.com

Thanks.

Charles Hunter

« Reply #215 on: May 28, 2011, 07:14:31 AM »
Was walking the northbank riverwalk after Jazz Fest last night, and no, the fountain was not on.  Unless there is some reason to NOT run it during Jazz Fest, I think it would be nice for all the visitors to downtown.

Bob_Johnson

« Reply #216 on: May 28, 2011, 08:18:17 AM »
Hello Charles,

The Anemometer has not yet been placed into operation and I know that the City will not permit the unattended operation of the Fountain without the Anemometer and the automatic wind speed based limits being operational .

Additionally the lights are not fully functional as of yet, that was what the Thursday night test was conducted for, so I doubt the contractor would want to run them unattended as well as of yet...

While it would have been nice to have the Fountain operational for the Jazz festival the timing just didn't work out...

-Bob
JaxFountain.com

Charles Hunter

« Reply #217 on: May 28, 2011, 08:23:29 AM »
Gotcha - I agree, everything should be 'right' before it makes its grand debut!

Bob_Johnson

« Reply #218 on: June 03, 2011, 04:47:23 PM »
Another Friday afternoon and another Friendship Fountain update :)

There is one small section left to have sod laid which will probably be done Monday.  What a difference it makes having all that grass to walk on and I can tell you now there are places all around the Fountain for folks to "take a load off" whether at a picnic table or just plopping down on some grass under shade.

All the pictures from today are located at the below link, note that I haven't labeled them as of this time but hope to later this evening to tomorrow AM...
http://jaxfountain.com/Gallery/Jun032011

Just two weeks to the Grand Reopening, which if I haven't mentioned before ;) is scheduled for 9:00 AM ET Saturday June 18, 2011 and I certainly hope to get to meet some of you that Saturday, my Wife and I will be the ones wearing White T-Shirts that you should be able to identify  :o

The Fountain water is up to the correct level of 22 inches deep, in case anyone was wondering, and there will be more tests in the days and evenings to come but most of the focus is on getting all the final details completed.

Some highlights...

I expect to have some more opportunities to get pictures in the next two weeks leading up to the Grand Reopening, June 18, 2011 9:00 AM ET in case i didn't mention it ;), including some more Night Time images and hopefully videos...

-Bob
JaxFountain.com

Noone

« Reply #219 on: June 03, 2011, 05:00:03 PM »
Loking forward to it. Nice pics.

904Scars

« Reply #220 on: June 03, 2011, 05:01:14 PM »
Awesome, I have that Saturday off work, so I just marked it on my calendar! I'll probably grab a few friends and ride my bike up there.

acme54321

« Reply #221 on: June 03, 2011, 05:32:00 PM »
Bob do you know when the next night test will be?

Bob_Johnson

« Reply #222 on: June 03, 2011, 05:48:10 PM »
Actually I asked but was told they haven't set it yet, however I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't this Thursday night again, seems that last Thursday night I heard talk that was one evening of the week when all the principles had free ;)

As soon as I know for sure I will post again, but there may be multiple evening tests between now and the 18th to make sure everything is working as expected and I may not get notified about some of them, as they may be partial tests. 

Just as a side note not only are they making sure all of the Fountain lights and Tower lights are working but also the bollard lights and a large number of Up Tree lighting and spot lighting in the picnic areas and trees lining the area between MOSH and the Fountain.

-Bob
JaxFountain.com

tufsu1

« Reply #223 on: June 03, 2011, 10:02:34 PM »
the tower lights were on tonight

Bativac

« Reply #224 on: June 04, 2011, 11:13:17 AM »
The fountain was definitely on for at least part of Jazz Fest. My wife and I, and our friends, and a dozen other people on the Main St Bridge stopped and watched it for a good ten minutes. Maybe it was just a test but it looked gorgeous. Jacksonville has done a fantastic job on this project and I only hope it's something that will be maintained for years to come, and that it was done correctly in the first place (I'm thinking of the Laura St roundabout, the Kids Kampus at Metro Park, the Southbank Riverwalk, etc).

The landscaping looks fantastic and the fountain was beautiful. When that middle section shot up, I couldn't help but grin.