Author Topic: pre-consolidation  (Read 8068 times)

videojon

pre-consolidation
« on: August 19, 2010, 12:51:16 PM »
I was trying to list for somebody the towns/townships surrounding Jacksonville city limits before Duval and Jax consolidated. I'm sure I could figure it out through looking through multiple posts but I don't see a list in one place. I.E. Mandarin, etc. I also get confused with some neighborhoods like Lake Shore or Cedar Hills. Were they considered a town before consolidation?

vicupstate

Re: pre-consolidation
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 12:59:28 PM »
Baldwin
Atlantic Beach
Neptune Beach
Jacksonville Beach

They existed pre-consolidation and still do, albeit in a quasi-state of being both independent yet part of the consolidated government as well.
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

duvaldude08

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 01:12:36 PM »
I was trying to list for somebody the towns/townships surrounding Jacksonville city limits before Duval and Jax consolidated. I'm sure I could figure it out through looking through multiple posts but I don't see a list in one place. I.E. Mandarin, etc. I also get confused with some neighborhoods like Lake Shore or Cedar Hills. Were they considered a town before consolidation?

Yes. From my understanding what we consider "neighborhoods" now were actually towns. Like Durkeyville, Picketville, Densmore and yukon for example.
Jaguars 2.0

vicupstate

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 02:32:01 PM »
No.  They were neighborhoods, they were not incorporated, at least not in 1967-68 when consolidation occurred.
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

videojon

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 02:47:42 PM »
No.  They were neighborhoods, they were not incorporated, at least not in 1967-68 when consolidation occurred.

What would have been the USPS place name for those unincorporated neighborhoods?

reednavy

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 03:26:31 PM »
Yukon used to be a much larger place, but most was demolished because of NAS Jax's runway and fear of accidents. Of course, a few years ago a plane did go down in the woods back there.

If there is one location that could break away from the city's charter and become independent efficiently, I'd go with Mandarin.
Jacksonville: We're not vertically challenged, just horizontally gifted!

Captain Zissou

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 03:30:39 PM »
Yukon used to be a much larger place, but most was demolished because of NAS Jax's runway and fear of accidents. Of course, a few years ago a plane did go down in the woods back there.

If there is one location that could break away from the city's charter and become independent efficiently, I'd go with Mandarin.

I wish they would.  I'm tired of paying for road widening for San Jose blvd.

Jaxson

• Peace of Mind blog
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 07:52:58 PM »
My guess is that, if they did not incorporate by 1967, that the unincorporated areas of Duval County would have not gotten around to becoming official municipalities even if consolidation did not take effect.
If I would choose any exceptions to the above, I would take a wild guess that Arlington or Mandarin would have made the leap sooner or later.  Otherwise, I do not think that there would have been any other urge to become separate towns or cities...
John Louis Meeks, Jr.

videojon

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 09:44:53 PM »
There were two great consolidations.

The one that most people are aware of is the one in 1967.

But there had also been a previous landmark Consolidation in 1893.

That is when the cluster of small cities, towns and townships became the City of Greater Jacksonville.

Yukon, Durkeeville, Picketville, Murray Hill, Warren, Oakland, Fairfield, Brooklyn, Oklahoma, South Jacksonville, New Berlin, and La Villa were all separate towns, cities and townships that have been absorbed by the two Consolidations.

There are a number of others as well.

Interesting. Good to know.

reednavy

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 09:49:01 PM »

I wish they would.  I'm tired of paying for road widening for San Jose blvd.
Pfft, I lived in Mandarin and I'm sick of the Fruit Cove area continuing to build up when there are only two ways in and out. Northern St. Johns, Fruit Cove, Switzerland, St. Johns or whatever the hell they call themselves, is your main reason for the widening, not Mandarin itself.
Jacksonville: We're not vertically challenged, just horizontally gifted!

Prax_N_Jax

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2010, 01:33:30 PM »
if my calculations are correct the size of Jacksonville is larger than the province my family came from in the philippines... the province of cavite is listed at 1,427.06 km2 while converting Jacksonville's 757 square miles equals to 1962.443 km2.... so maybe my math is wrong... i really don't know if i did correctly. but if that is the truth.... Jax is HUGE enough to be a major province in the philippines!
Living in Jacksonville is like living in the province back home... so much potential for growth. not enough gitter done!

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2010, 02:11:40 PM »

That is when the cluster of small cities, towns and townships became the City of Greater Jacksonville.

Yukon, Durkeeville, Picketville, Murray Hill, Warren, Oakland, Fairfield, Brooklyn, Oklahoma, South Jacksonville, New Berlin, and La Villa were all separate towns, cities and townships that have been absorbed by the two Consolidations.

It's actually more extensive than this.

Jax City Limits (1842 - 1887)

The towns of LaVilla and Fairfield were annexed into Jacksonville in 1887, along with the suburbs of Brooklyn, East Jacksonville, Oakland, Durkeeville, Springfield and Riverside.

1887 City Limits

The City of Murray Hill was incorporated in 1906 and annexed into Jacksonville in 1925.  Panama Park, Ortega and Moncrief Park were also annexed at this time.

1925 City Limits

The City of South Jacksonville was annexed into Jacksonville in 1932.  The city limits would remain this size until the 1960s and the merger with Duval County.   When you see me use the term "urban core" or "preconsolidated city," this is the area I'm referring to. Personally, I believe this area is the place where urban oriented solutions should be required and where initial mass transit investments should be placed.  This is the zone where you have higher density, gridded streets and a mix of existing uses in closer proximity to one another.  Once you get this actual city working right, then focus on more extensive and expensive connections to our actual suburbs (everywhere in Duval County outside of this zone).

1932 City Limits

There were other communities like Mandarin that were incorporated at some point in time but they had become unincorporated by 1968.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 02:18:21 PM by thelakelander »
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Jaxson

• Peace of Mind blog
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2010, 06:34:44 PM »
From the looks of the 1932 map, in addition to annexing South Jacksonville, the City of Jacksonville absorbed a sliver of land east of Tallulah Avenue.  I would like to know why it wasn't annexed in 1925, but annexed later on...
John Louis Meeks, Jr.

duvaldude08

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2010, 09:45:48 AM »

Thanks Stephen i knew I wasnt crazy. lol
Jaguars 2.0

ricker

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2010, 02:34:19 PM »
funnny that the incorporated overlay is in red. lol
I thought Lake Shore received the red-headed-step-child-treatment, as it was vying to be the bane of Avondale's existence at one time very early on.
alas, today's infrastructure needs (basic sidewalks needed on old grids) remain largely unaddressed since the 1940s_
when you read old original advertisements for the LakeShore / Bayview corporations' complementary developments of Woodmere and the FIRST Lakeside (not Clay county's Swimming Pen creek @ Whitey's) and such, the fluff is minimal but reads with a tinge of hype as was very well practiced by the financiers in other neighboring contemporaneous plats.

I have a bit of info regarding the area to the immediate west of the Cassat area.
post here?