Author Topic: Bus Shelters Done Right  (Read 8031 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Bus Shelters Done Right
« on: September 19, 2007, 04:00:00 AM »
Bus Shelters Done Right

Once again, Jacksonville has proven incapable of implementing simple solutions to solve simple problems. Now that bus shelter advertising has been rejected, let's take a look at some viable and attractive solutions we should have taken advantage of.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/content/view/565

copperfiend

Re: Bus Shelters Done Right
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 06:56:13 AM »
This all sounds very high tech. Is Jacksonville ready for this???

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 07:01:46 AM »

Nice.  We could definately use a few of these downtown.  Especially if there's companies out there that will install and maintain them without our tax dollars. 
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

gatorback

• “Know thyself.”
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 10:58:30 AM »
Austin uses these things...Very helpful even when the bus shelter doesn't have WIFI--which Capital Metro is rolling out having installed at more then a couple of stops so far--one can figure out what to expect making the usage  of the bus system that much more attractive.
'As a sinner I am truly conscious of having often offended my Creator and I beg him to forgive me, but as a Queen and Sovereign, I am aware of no fault or offence for which I have to render account to anyone here below.'   Mary, queen of Scots to her jailer, Sir Amyas Paulet; October 1586

avonjax

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 10:58:43 AM »
I suppose the city council doesn't want to VISUALLY POLLUTE our roadsides with awful advertising. Instead we can keep the ad free litter ridden eyesores we currently have because I guess we can't afford anything better. I am constantly amazed that we are living in such a small minded city that views progessive ideas as the works of the devil I guess...
Nothing else can really explain it.
WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE and who are they trying to protect?

johnallmand

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 11:51:33 AM »
The fact is that advertising like this opens the door for other forms of advertising that really does visually pollute. Also JEA can add bus shelters if they want... they don't need the advertising money to do it.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007, 12:05:01 PM »
I guess visual pollution is in the eye of the beholder.  I, for one, would not mind seeing well designed advertising on bus shelters and other things, if they are being funded and maintained by the private sector and we get public improvements in the process.  This does not mean I fully support JTA's defeated proposal to give the rights to Clear Channel, but it sure beats seeing the buses tattooed with tacky Hooter's Ads, flying through town or forcing riders to stand in the rain to ride the bus because there are no shelters.

Furthermore, considering we're in the midst of a budget crunch and nobody wants their taxes raised, it would be good for us to consider public private partnerships, such as what Boston has been able to do with their wayfaring signage and bus shelters, as shown in these images.  We can't continue to be ultra picky, while not willing to finance needed improvements on our own or even come up with viable alternatives.  All that does is leave us drowning in the pool of mediocrity and inefficiency.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

copperfiend

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2007, 12:27:54 PM »
Has anybody seen the "bus stop" on Roosevelt near NAS? It is on the opposite side about half a mile south from the main gate. There is no sidewalk on the street and is between railroad tracks and the six lane highway that is Roosevelt. It is literally a small wood bench and would be damn near impossible for a person to reach. Not surprising, I have never seen one person at this bus stop.

gatorback

• “Know thyself.”
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2007, 01:05:43 PM »
Would PSA's be Visual Pollution?  They could at least inform when nobody buys the spot at the bus stop.  Campaigns for HIV Awareness, Domestic Violence, and Fire Ant Awareness are PSA the JTA should advertise along with the schedules like other cities do.
'As a sinner I am truly conscious of having often offended my Creator and I beg him to forgive me, but as a Queen and Sovereign, I am aware of no fault or offence for which I have to render account to anyone here below.'   Mary, queen of Scots to her jailer, Sir Amyas Paulet; October 1586

johnallmand

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2007, 01:14:57 PM »
C'mon! If all we were talking about was JUST BUS STOP ADVERTISING then fine. Do it in a nice way.... but then we have companies that see this as an opportunity to push. Pretty soon it's everywhere.... I'm not making this up. It HAS happened before in other cities. Take LA for example. Letting Bus shelter advertising into their signage regulations opened them up to all kinds or really offensive stuff that they really can't stop now. It's like a pandoras box and it starts here and now. . And then, who's to say what kind of advertising it is... and isn't offensive.. Opens up the whole 1st amendment issue. Trust me we are better of without it.

The bus advertisement is a whole separate issue. For some strange reason it's not withing the jurisdiction of the cities signage regs... something about its moving... I dunno

Listen, we can agree that we need better bus stops... but there are other... smarter.... ways of accomplishing it before you just sell out and start down a road that ends up with a city without a sign reg...

Start a "adopt a shelter" program or... something like that... lets get creative...

Honestly, I thought you guys would really be on board with this...

johnallmand

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2007, 01:17:40 PM »
yes, I think PDA's would... not to mention the fact that they block views inside the shelter which is a safety issue...

Why do we need to plaster our world with glossy airbrushed pictures... lets break out of that.

Lunican

• The Jaxson
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2007, 01:41:42 PM »
Well, the problem with an "Adopt a Shelter" program might be that JTA would have to administer it. Typically programs like that would not be able to provide the level of maintenance that a company like Wall does.

Several adopt a shelter programs listed online require the shelter be cleaned at least once a once a month.

Wall cleans their shelters and street furniture 3 times a day.

I don't think an adoption program is bad, but it seems like it would be more work with less results.

gatorback

• “Know thyself.”
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2007, 01:42:00 PM »
Every bus in jacksonville displays ads so "regulations" or policy is already in place...the signs on the bus don't block seeing outwards.....it generates money.  keep cost down.   I'd like to see a mix of PSA, bus schedule, and marketing ....it would pay for better bus stops?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2007, 01:46:02 PM »
C'mon! If all we were talking about was JUST BUS STOP ADVERTISING then fine. Do it in a nice way.... but then we have companies that see this as an opportunity to push. Pretty soon it's everywhere.... I'm not making this up. It HAS happened before in other cities. Take LA for example. Letting Bus shelter advertising into their signage regulations opened them up to all kinds or really offensive stuff that they really can't stop now. It's like a pandoras box and it starts here and now. . And then, who's to say what kind of advertising it is... and isn't offensive.. Opens up the whole 1st amendment issue. Trust me we are better of without it.

The transit system isn't better off being subpar.  Seriously, Jax is not on an island.  There's nothing we're facing that some other city out there hasn't faced and either succeeded or failed out there.  There should be plenty of examples to learn from out there and come up with a viable compromise and solution that does not open up a "pandora's box", not only for bus shelters, but wayfaring and directional signage as well.

The bus advertisement is a whole separate issue. For some strange reason it's not withing the jurisdiction of the cities signage regs... something about its moving... I dunno

Listen, we can agree that we need better bus stops... but there are other... smarter.... ways of accomplishing it before you just sell out and start down a road that ends up with a city without a sign reg...

I don't think anyone mentioned that we should take the proposal JTA had on the table hook, line and sinker.  The whole theme of this article has been about finding a way to search for a viable public/private solution even if the solution ends up including some form of advertising on the end product.

Start a "adopt a shelter" program or... something like that... lets get creative...

Honestly, I thought you guys would really be on board with this...

I can't speak for others but I lay somewhere in the middle of the two arguments out there.  JTA's is one extreme, while the other side is the other extreme.  The answer that works best for the community probably lies somewhere in the middle, but both sides have to be willing to give a little.

As for "adopting a shelter", that's a noble concept.  How many transit agencies have been success with this option on a large scale level?  If there's a good example of it out there, then by all means, lets explore.  Nevertheless, its one thing to come up with a creative solution, but its another to spend years trying to find a way to recreate the wheel, when there may be successful methods (that don't open pandora's boxes) already out there.

tufsu1

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2007, 03:35:44 PM »
Wow...MetroJacksonville sponsored the trip.....sounds cushy to me....may there should be an investigation!