Author Topic: Bus Shelters Done Right  (Read 8017 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Re: Bus Shelters Done Right
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2007, 04:12:26 PM »
Be sure to let everyone know what you find.  We need to make sure we're not abusing our privately financed privileges.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

gatorback

• “Know thyself.”
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2007, 04:14:24 PM »
The JTA could keep it simple.  Look how CapitalMetro does their stops, notice the trash receptical and the bus schedule with map......not all are this fancy....some don't even have WIFI.  ;D

'As a sinner I am truly conscious of having often offended my Creator and I beg him to forgive me, but as a Queen and Sovereign, I am aware of no fault or offence for which I have to render account to anyone here below.'   Mary, queen of Scots to her jailer, Sir Amyas Paulet; October 1586

Lunican

• The Jaxson
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2007, 04:35:58 PM »
Wow...MetroJacksonville sponsored the trip.....sounds cushy to me....may there should be an investigation!

At least everyone can see the findings from these trips. What did Peyton learn on his trip to China? I'd like to know...

tufsu1

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2007, 04:38:00 PM »
its a joke guys...lighten up!

Lunican

• The Jaxson
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2007, 04:56:46 PM »
I think Peyton should write a "Learning from China" article for us...

(not a joke)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2007, 05:07:15 PM »
its a joke guys...lighten up!

My reply was a joke as well.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

big ben

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2007, 06:51:59 PM »
i definitely wouldn't want clear channel involved with our city.  i don't know how they are at signage, but i don't like them. 

i used to work by a stop like this in st. louis.  i thought it looked great.  it didn't really block too much view.  it also didn't have that pedestal thing in the corner.  i don't know what that is.  i think it would help if there was a requirement for the signage to be at least 1.5-2 feet off the ground or something like that, but the top can't go any higher.  the problem with something like this is that in some places like downtown, the sidewalk isn't big enough to have room for it.  you might have to make a deal with building owners to have an overhanging roof with no sides on it and if advertising was necessary, it'd need to be flat against the wall.

Lunican

• The Jaxson
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2007, 07:05:15 PM »
They are more transparent than what we've already got at some stops.

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2007, 08:43:22 PM »
It's the ROOF fellas! Today, we are so far removed from a transit mobile society, we have fogotten passenger comfort and design in the process. It's all about community design standards and the public be damned. I think we can do both and do it well. How about you guys get out your crayons on this...???

I don't like the roof on about 68% of the new Transit Shelters I see. Back in the Day, all transportation shelters sported "butterfly" roofs. Meaning, the roof is shaped like a "V". This design works for trains, trolleys and buses, as well as autos. It sheds the water to a center rib, hence into down spouts and out to the curb or ditch. A vehicle can nest up under the edge of the roof and board passengers without ANY waterfall effect on the patrons. If the reach is long enough, such as a couple of feet over the boarding zone on pull out stops (such as those along Atlantic) then the bus can get under the edge so there is no water effect at all.

Dry in, dry out, dry in the seat while you wait, just add tinted shade glass and everyone is happy.

Ocklawaha

Lunican

• The Jaxson
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2008, 08:28:21 AM »
JTA driving for bus shelter support

At last week’s Downtown Development Review Board meeting, JTA made yet another pitch to start installing new bus shelters by the dozens all over Jacksonville. While the presentation was well-received and makes financial sense, there is still plenty of opposition to the concept.

Much of the opposition centers on unanswered questions: Where will the shelters be located and who will advertise on the them?

However, the biggest hold up is the City’s sign ordinance. Two years ago, City Council member Art Shad sponsored legislation seeking a waiver of the City’s sign ordinance. That waiver would allow JTA to sell advertising on the new shelters — a key component to having them paid for, built and maintained by a private company as opposed to using tax dollars that don’t currently exist.

Full Article:
http://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/showstory.php?Story_id=49581

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2008, 08:53:34 AM »
I think everyone can agree that additional bus shelters are needed.  If no one trust JTA's plans, then introduce tried and tested alternative solutions.  Maybe the JEDC, DVI or whoever should be proactive and come up with an alternative shelter design that works for both parties.

gatorback

• “Know thyself.”
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2008, 03:50:23 PM »
City council members should restructure DVI’s budget bringing the salaries down to 10% of total funding and appropriate the difference to something worthwhile like a these shelters.  Or, do you think that the shelters would just become homes to the “permanent shelter challenged?”
'As a sinner I am truly conscious of having often offended my Creator and I beg him to forgive me, but as a Queen and Sovereign, I am aware of no fault or offence for which I have to render account to anyone here below.'   Mary, queen of Scots to her jailer, Sir Amyas Paulet; October 1586

Jason

• Global Moderator
  • I am the man in the box...
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2008, 01:41:37 PM »
It's the ROOF fellas! Today, we are so far removed from a transit mobile society, we have fogotten passenger comfort and design in the process. It's all about community design standards and the public be damned. I think we can do both and do it well. How about you guys get out your crayons on this...???

I don't like the roof on about 68% of the new Transit Shelters I see. Back in the Day, all transportation shelters sported "butterfly" roofs. Meaning, the roof is shaped like a "V". This design works for trains, trolleys and buses, as well as autos. It sheds the water to a center rib, hence into down spouts and out to the curb or ditch. A vehicle can nest up under the edge of the roof and board passengers without ANY waterfall effect on the patrons. If the reach is long enough, such as a couple of feet over the boarding zone on pull out stops (such as those along Atlantic) then the bus can get under the edge so there is no water effect at all.

Dry in, dry out, dry in the seat while you wait, just add tinted shade glass and everyone is happy.

Ocklawaha

Our crayons have been out on this issue. 

Here's the thread...  http://www.metrojacksonville.com/forum/index.php/topic,778.0.html

I remember seeing "MikeMiller" lurking on this thread when it was active... maybe he picked up some ideas?

Steve

• The Jaxson
JTA bus shelter proposal may be on the move
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2008, 10:05:42 AM »
by Max Marbut

Staff Writer

It’s an issue that’s been stagnating on City Council committee agendas since June 2005 without much – if any – progress, but if events of the past week are any indication, that could change.

At last week’s Downtown Development Review Board meeting, JTA representatives made a presentation concerning the proposal to increase the number of shelters at bus stops by allowing advertising on the shelters. Tuesday afternoon, City Council member Warren Jones held a meeting with some of his fellow Council members, the JTA’s general counsel and opponents of the advertising-based plan.

http://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/showstory.php?Story_id=49629

Steve

• The Jaxson
Re: JTA bus shelter proposal may be on the move
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2008, 10:07:41 AM »
[JTA Spokesperson Mike] Miller said developers have been eager to cooperate with mass transit enhancements and cited St. Johns Town Center as an example of a transit-friendly design.

Which part, the giant parking lot in front of Target, or the huge setback of all of the Fast Food restaraunts along Town Center Parkway, which serve as outparcels for the strip malls?