Author Topic: Old Ortega Historic District  (Read 8992 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Old Ortega Historic District
« on: June 21, 2010, 06:03:22 AM »
Old Ortega Historic District

Metro Jacksonville explores a neighborhood that was designed by prominent architect, Henry J. Klutho and recently designated as Jacksonville's third nationally recognized historic district: Old Ortega.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2010-jun-old-ortega-historic-district

Charles Hunter

Re: Old Ortega Historic District
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 08:40:30 AM »
Did your arouse the interest of the Ortega Security Patrol, driving around and taking pictures?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 09:07:45 AM »
Actually no.  Instead of driving, I've switched to using a bicycle.  I figure I might as well get some exercise while working on some of these articles.  The mode switch also allows me to see and feel the atmosphere of the neighborhoods from an entirely different view point.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Fallen Buckeye

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 09:32:13 AM »
Some friends and I did fun ride from Robert E. Lee down through Ortega last year. That really is one of the best ways to experience the area.

Cliffs_Daughter

• Don't make me come down there and smack someone.
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 10:17:31 AM »
Hey, where's the school?

I love this part of town. I remember as a kid, mom would drive us through there around Christmastime to see the beautiful mansions with their lights on. (when you grew up in Jax Heights, anything on the river is a mansion)
Heather  @Tiki_Proxima

Ignorantia legis non excusat.

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 10:52:47 AM »
You captured my dad's house in one of the pics.  Nice representation of the neighborhood Lake!

Seminole Park is one of the few unspoiled and underappreciated treasures in Ortega.  River views, plenty of shade and room for the dog to roam. 

Stockton Park has some of the best mullet fishing in the city, hands down!

You also have a pic of the infamous Charles C. Bettes residence.  I live across the river in Lakeside and the Bettes residence is on my running/biking route.  The night I came home from work to go for a run, only to see that fire had gotten to the house was heartbreaking(you can see the rebuilding in the pictures above).  They have some of the oldest and coolest oak trees on their lot in all of Jacksonville.

Captain Zissou

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 10:59:59 AM »
I can't get why a mullet would swim anywhere near Stockton park.  On any given Saturday, there are $100 hooks in the water off of the park.  It's a death trap for the fish, but a great time for the anglers.

Great photos.  I have a friend whose family lives on Bettes circle, and that is one of the nicest areas in the city, imo.  Quiet, pleasant park filled with wonderful old oaks and surrounded by lovely and diverse architecture.

north miami

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2010, 11:49:26 AM »

Another example of the fact that the best places were placed on the best locations long ago.

Wacca Pilatka

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2010, 02:35:33 PM »
For what it's worth, I drive around Ortega, Springfield, San Marco, and (especially) Riverside/Avondale taking pictures on all my trips to Jax--mostly of buildings from Architectural Heritage--and have never had anyone look at me suspiciously.  Only reaction I ever got was from someone who generously got out of the way for me to photograph the gate tower at the north end of San Jose.
The tourist would realize at once that he had struck the Land of Flowers - the City Beautiful!

Henry J. Klutho

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2010, 02:56:51 PM »
I've been stopped twice in my years of doing this.  Once for taking a picture of the Main Street bridge Super Bowl week and in Birmingham a few years ago by a building security guard.  In both cases, since I was on public ground, I went about my business and kept snapping.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (DAMMIT)
    • Music and Personal Info Website
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2010, 04:39:45 PM »
Jacksonville is so beautiful...I miss the lush foilage, big trees (trees are much bigger and broader in North Florida than Central and South Florida), and the lush overall greenery in the spring, summer and early fall.  Ortega is one of the most beautiful neighborhoods in Jax.  I used to love leaving area from my apartment in Riverside, when I was in the Navy, and just driving through Ortega on my way to work at the Naval Air Station. (sigh from homesickness); I sure do miss North Florida and especially Jax.  Can't leave West Central Florida just yet though, but I know the time is rapidly approaching!

"HU"
DONATE TODAY TO HELP ALL WHO ARE IN NEED BY CLICKING HERE ON MY MUSIC WEBISTE: http://HTTP://WWW.REVERBNATION.COM/COSTON; ALL PURCHASES ARE DONATIONS TO HELP ALL OF THOSE WHO ARE NEEDY, UNDERPRIVILEGED AND DISADVANTAGED.

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2010, 08:23:43 PM »
You forgot one house in Ortega  ;)

Fallen Buckeye

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2010, 11:09:33 AM »
I had a run in once with a policeman in Miami while taking pictures near the government district. He said I was not allowed to take pictures there because of the terrorist threat and I could actually be arrested and have my camera confiscated if I continued. I could be standing in the government district (which was barricaded btw) and take pictures of any of the other buildings except the courthouse and government buildings. I had to delete the pictures I had already taken too. The officer was very nice about it and I complied, but it's sad that it has to come to that. Oh well.

Wacca Pilatka

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2010, 11:47:03 AM »
I forgot about insides of buildings...

I've learned that the Bank of America and Modis buildings do not allow photos of the interior unless you are part of a special event such as a book fair.  But in the St. James I asked a security guard and got no objection to my taking pictures.

I'll be in Birmingham in a few weeks, so I'll be on guard for anti-photographer security people.
The tourist would realize at once that he had struck the Land of Flowers - the City Beautiful!

Henry J. Klutho

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2010, 12:33:54 PM »
If you are on public property... you can take a picture of anything.  I used to be a freelance photographer for a few magazines, and I put up with my fair share of overzealous police officers or security guards.  On private property, you have to abide by their rules(you'd be amazed how difficult it is to get permission to photograph anythinig at a port)... but on public grounds anything is fair game.