Author Topic: City Notes: Council members return their free Jaguars tickets  (Read 1058 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
City Notes: Council members return their free Jaguars tickets
« on: September 02, 2007, 07:38:00 AM »
By BETH KORMANIK,
The Times-Union

Several City Council members are saying no thanks to free Jacksonville Jaguars tickets they received as a perk of the office.

Council Vice President Ronnie Fussell and council members Stephen Joost, Glorious Johnson and Clay Yarborough returned their tickets and parking passes to City Council President Daniel Davis, according to records from Davis' office.

"Even though this is mostly a symbolic gesture, due to the budget cutbacks that many charities and social organizations are facing, I feel that it is important that some of the pain of these cutbacks be shared by the City Council," Joost wrote. He asked that Davis use the tickets for charitable purposes.

In her letter, Johnson noted that many people cannot afford Jaguars tickets.

Each council member receives two tickets to five games and a season parking pass. The value of each ticket is $82.17.

Davis reminded council members of their obligation to report the tickets to the Florida Commission on Ethics.

They'll have to pay for parking

Another perk was taken away from council members - and other elected officials - last week.

Judges, constitutional officers, council members, the state attorney and others who now receive free parking will pay to park in city garages and parking lots under a proposal from the Finance Committee.

Councilman Richard Clark made the proposal in light of recent budget cut and estimates it will bring in between $70,000 to $80,000 a year.

It costs $85.60 a month to park in the garage attached to City Hall.

Now, only Mayor John Peyton and Councilman Art Shad voluntarily pay for City Hall parking.

Appointments update

Gov. Charlie Crist appointed former City Councilwoman Lynette Self to a four-year term on the Florida Communities Trust. Self, 54, owns Rose of Sharon European Florist.

Crist also appointed Jacksonville attorney Michael Cavendish to the Jacksonville Transportation Authority board. Cavendish, 35, is a shareholder at Gunster, Yoakley & Stewart.

Charles Sawyer, who spent 16 years on the JTA board, retired.

Special meeting

Rules Chairman Jay Jabour has called a special meeting of the committee at 10 a.m. Monday, Sept. 10, to discuss Peyton's reorganization plan. Peyton had to seek special council approval to introduce the plan at the same time as his proposed budget, and now some council members are picking at it - especially his plan to consolidate Disabled Services, Adult Services, Mental Health and Welfare, Veterans Affairs and other divisions into the Recreation and Community Services Department.

beth.kormanik@jacksonville.com, (904) 359-4619

This story can be found on Jacksonville.com at http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/090207/met_196354177.shtml.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

gatorback

• “Know thyself.”
Re: City Notes: Council members return their free Jaguars tickets
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2007, 11:11:48 AM »
Have JSO start paying more for use of their marked/unmarked sherrif's cars.  Then, make sure they don't free park on the side walks when they are off duty working for a bank near Hemming Plaze or put a cover over a meter to park there.  Does the city pay to park in the Baptist Church Garage?  And if so, does the city subsidise their parking. If you want to generate revenue have everybody pay an extra fee just because.  This fee would/should be called Just Because Fee.  JBF would be another revenue stream for the city.  JBF is for you.
'As a sinner I am truly conscious of having often offended my Creator and I beg him to forgive me, but as a Queen and Sovereign, I am aware of no fault or offence for which I have to render account to anyone here below.'   Mary, queen of Scots to her jailer, Sir Amyas Paulet; October 1586

big ben

Re: City Notes: Council members return their free Jaguars tickets
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 12:14:13 AM »
is appointing attorneys to transportation boards a common thing?  i could kinda understand why you might want one, assuming he's experienced in cases that deal with transportation in some way.  it kinda sounds like a crony appointment, though.