Author Topic: Inside the Barnett Bank and Laura Trio  (Read 18355 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Re: Inside the Barnett Bank and Laura Trio
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2010, 01:33:26 PM »
I don't know about the Bisbee and Florida Life Buildings but I believe the Barnett was at least partially occupied into the early 2000s.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Wacca Pilatka

« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2010, 02:24:15 PM »
At one point in the 80s the Bisbee, Florida Life, and Marble Bank were all occupied by Jacksonville National Bank, which then became part of NCNB.  I believe NCNB occupied them all at least into the early 90s, because my first trip to Jacksonville was in '92 and I got a historical walking tour brochure that mentions NCNB as the tenant. 
The tourist would realize at once that he had struck the Land of Flowers - the City Beautiful!

Henry J. Klutho

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2010, 02:52:05 PM »
I don't know about the Bisbee and Florida Life Buildings but I believe the Barnett was at least partially occupied into the early 2000s.

That's correct Lake.  Barnett was occupied up until around the turn of the century.  I had several friends that worked in the building from 96-00ish and I remember visiting them at lunch.  Most of Nation's employees found their way out to the Phillips Highway location next to the Avenues Mall(which has since been expanded)

finehoe

« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2010, 04:45:16 PM »
^^^Boneheaded, yes, but it does make for a cool photo!

Wacca Pilatka

« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2010, 05:02:41 PM »
Wow, I thought that was looking down an elevator shaft or something.  What a strange decision.
The tourist would realize at once that he had struck the Land of Flowers - the City Beautiful!

Henry J. Klutho

MusicMan

« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2010, 09:14:15 PM »
That hole is an easy fix. The debris had to go somewhere. The new windows are nice. And they are getting these
buildings unbelievably cheap. The saddest part is why did anyone ever destroy the beautiful carved concrete
decorations at the top of the "skinny" one. What a shame.

Ethylene

« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2010, 03:59:35 PM »
Are there plans to close the new windows Kuhn put in anytime soon? Is there some reason for not closing them in the first place? Are they trying to age these suckers or what? Is there any evidence of anyone living there now or recently who shouldn't be?

halimeade

« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2010, 05:11:19 PM »
Looks like despite the neglect, there buildings still have a lot of potential to shine! Does any one know if these buildings are on the National Register of Historic Places, or if the developer plans to take advantage of the 20% federal preservation tax credit to fix them up?

Coolyfett

• Mike Hogan Destruction Eruption!
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2010, 11:13:36 PM »
Looks like despite the neglect, there buildings still have a lot of potential to shine! Does any one know if these buildings are on the National Register of Historic Places, or if the developer plans to take advantage of the 20% federal preservation tax credit to fix them up?

They are certified. All four of them.
Mike Hogan Destruction Eruption!

halimeade

« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2010, 04:50:42 AM »

They are certified. All four of them.

That's great!

floridaforester

« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2010, 12:35:00 PM »
That hole is an easy fix. The debris had to go somewhere. The new windows are nice. And they are getting these
buildings unbelievably cheap. The saddest part is why did anyone ever destroy the beautiful carved concrete
decorations at the top of the "skinny" one. What a shame.

Yes, the cornices on the Bisbee building were spectacular until outright neglect allowed them to start dropping pieces onto the sidewalk.  They were taken down by, I believe, the group that owned it prior to the firefighters' pension group (German co?).  It seems like there could have been a way to take them down in several pieces and saved for future restoration, but I don't think they had that kind of foresight. There have been previous threads about this in particular.

duvaldude08

« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2010, 12:58:07 PM »
After the news broke about this, everything's been pretty quiet. Has anyone heard any recent news?
Jaguars 2.0

Tomcatteralways

« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2010, 08:02:54 PM »
wow, for some reason looking at these great photos is like looking at the titanic. The detail in the staircases and railings. You simply cannot recreate that!

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2010, 08:08:22 PM »
This project will be up for DDRB review this Thursday.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

duvaldude08

« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2010, 11:01:46 PM »
This project will be up for DDRB review this Thursday.

Not to sound dumb, but what is the DDRB?
Jaguars 2.0