Author Topic: Inside the Barnett Bank and Laura Trio  (Read 18363 times)

fieldafm

• Editor
Re: Inside the Barnett Bank and Laura Trio
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2010, 09:49:32 AM »
Stephen,

Are they planning to keep the digital sign at the top of the barnett building? That wouuld be neat!

This was actually the subject of a very long conversation with Steve and Woody.

They are planning on using that sign in some way.

The sign is actually a set of visual barriers that blocks view of the machinery on top of the roof.

It was a little odd to see the sign close up---I grew up seeing that sign and being able to use it to tell time--and in my memory of it, it was a digital sign that flashed the hour.

Up close its not a digital sign at all,  Its an analog sign and the digital dots are floodlight bulbs.  Its a simple sign to fix and wouldnt cost but a few hundred dollars to update the wiring and replace the bulbs.

Steve said they were going to repurpose the sign for display, and made some pretty awesome speculations about digital video displays being possible because of the falling price of the technology.

Woody, the guy who actually does the building winked and told us that might be phase two.

Whatever the final outcome, they do plan to do something with it.

What do you guys think?  Restore it in all of its vaguely neanderthal level tech glory or something modern and techy?

To me, the clock was iconic.  It's something my eyes were always drawn to when I was either in downtown or driving down I-95.  Two years ago I was in Boston and they have that weather beacon thing on top of one of their buildings(Prudential Building maybe?) that's color coded to let you know if you're going to have snow tomorrow, etc.  Standing there in a city that is quite the opposite of Jacksonville, I suddenly felt a connection to my hometown that I hadn't experienced in my 5 days in Boston.  It was quite comforting.

Its obviously not my money to play with... but just for the point of discussion the location of the clock is too high up for something like the streaming video screens in Times Square.  

How about:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/7pA5RESEaOQ&amp;color1=0xb1b1b1&amp;color2=0xd0d0d0&amp;hl=en_US&amp;feature=player_embedded&amp;fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/7pA5RESEaOQ&amp;color1=0xb1b1b1&amp;color2=0xd0d0d0&amp;hl=en_US&amp;feature=player_embedded&amp;fs=1</a>
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 09:52:21 AM by fieldafm »

exnewsman

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2010, 10:17:16 AM »
I wonder how much the city's sign ordinance will be a hinderence to these plans?

fsujax

• Teapartysaurus!
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2010, 10:18:16 AM »
I say update the sign using LED's....let it flash the time and temperature like it did when I was growing up.

tufsu1

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2010, 10:34:22 AM »
take a look at the Philly spread from yesterday for one idea on what to do with the Barnett clock....the TECO building has had a constant scroll across the top for years....tells date, time, and interesting public events....right now it probably says "LETS GO FLYERS"

Rocshaboc

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2010, 10:43:28 AM »
I hope this goes through. Please don't let this fail.

Wacca Pilatka

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2010, 10:48:16 AM »
Wonderful photos, guys!

I am always amazed that our society so often lets beautiful old buildings like these just fall into disrepair and deteriorate, and all too often, be torn down.  These are priceless pieces of our history and heritage, yet not enough people see their value.  Really sad.  But I am encouraged that someone may save this particular piece of the past.  I really hope this comes to fruition.

It's amazing how fast it happens too.  It's not all that long ago that the Marble Bank was freshly renovated and the Trio buildings were occupied.
The tourist would realize at once that he had struck the Land of Flowers - the City Beautiful!

Henry J. Klutho

Cliffs_Daughter

• Don't make me come down there and smack someone.
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2010, 10:50:43 AM »
Oh, those views of downtown!!!  What I wouldn't give to be up there with my own camera.
Heather  @Tiki_Proxima

Ignorantia legis non excusat.

Jason

• Global Moderator
  • I am the man in the box...
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2010, 11:19:23 AM »
Isn't the old clock pretty much blocked from view from most skyline viewpoints?

reednavy

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2010, 11:32:09 AM »
Isn't the old clock pretty much blocked from view from most skyline viewpoints?
Yes, unless you're in the arc from NW to NE of downtown, you can't see it.
Jacksonville: We're not vertically challenged, just horizontally gifted!

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (HOT DAMMIT!) YES...SUPER TALLS!!!
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICE AGENCY
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2010, 11:42:02 AM »
Wow...they have a lot, I mean a LOT of work to do.  I hope this project comes to fruition and takes off.  Kuhn really stripped everything clean...it appears he wasn't playing until the economy crashed and the money spigot got turned off.  I remember when I was a teen, just finished High School and had joined the Navy and was stationed at Cecil, I used to go into the old Barnett Building; it was high classed, gold trim, nice carpeting and of course with that bank/money smell; what a difference 35 or so years make!  I used to also go into the Marble Bank and it was a beautiful building inside.  They have their work cut out for them...good luck and my blessings to the money players on this project.

"HU"
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal/ or, access my Social Service national/world wide page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: http://www.freshstartsocialagency.com; thank you!!!

geauxtigers31

« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2010, 11:47:12 AM »
I know it isn't in the current plans, but how about adding a rooftop restaurant? It looks as though it could facilitate one and with Jacksonville's beautiful weather I think it would be a can't miss hit. When I lived in Baton Rouge this rooftop place on top of the shaw center called Tsunami stayed jam packed.

http://www.shawcenter.org/

JeffreyS

• Demand Evidence and Think Critically.
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2010, 11:50:36 AM »
It would help our skyline the most if BOA could get it's lights fixed instead of being a version of the CIA's black helicopters at night.
Lenny Smash

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2010, 12:05:03 PM »
It would help our skyline the most if BOA could get it's lights fixed instead of being a version of the CIA's black helicopters at night.

I agree.

bill

« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2010, 12:45:00 PM »
 They have their work cut out for them...good luck and my blessings to the money players on this project.

The money players are going to be taxpayers

Miss Fixit

Inside the Barnett Bank and Laura Trio
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2010, 12:47:19 PM »
Wonderful photos, guys!

I am always amazed that our society so often lets beautiful old buildings like these just fall into disrepair and deteriorate, and all too often, be torn down.  These are priceless pieces of our history and heritage, yet not enough people see their value.  Really sad.  But I am encouraged that someone may save this particular piece of the past.  I really hope this comes to fruition.

It's amazing how fast it happens too.  It's not all that long ago that the Marble Bank was freshly renovated and the Trio buildings were occupied.

My reaction, too.  It would be interesting to see photographs taken shortly before the buildings became unoccupied.  Does anyone know who/what were the final occupants of the Bisbee and Florida Life buildings, and how long they've been vacant?  HK sure could design a beautiful staircase....