Author Topic: Aircraft Maintenance Company expands operations to JIA  (Read 4778 times)

Lunican

• The Jaxson
Aircraft Maintenance Company expands operations to JIA
« on: May 24, 2010, 03:53:45 PM »
Aircraft Maintenance and Overhaul Company Selects Jacksonville International Airport for Southeast Operation
New Facility to Employ Highly Skilled Aircraft Mechanics

Jacksonville Aviation Authority Executive Director and CEO Steve Grossman today announced that AvMax Group Inc. is opening a heavy maintenance and modification facility for the regional jet and turboprop aviation industry at Jacksonville International Airport (JAX).

The facility, expected to begin operations next month, will initially employ as many as 100 to 120 licensed aircraft mechanics. Hourly wages will range from $14 to $21, depending on the position and years of experience.

“The arrival of AvMax is great news for Jacksonville and our economy,” Grossman said. “The new AvMax facility at JAX is a continuation of our efforts to foster a strong, vibrant aviation industry in Northeast Florida.”

AvMax, a privately held corporation with headquarters in Calgary, Canada, also operates a heavy maintenance facility in Great Falls, Montana.

After an extensive search for a Southeastern location, AvMax said it selected Jacksonville because of the heavy volume of regional jets at JAX, a skilled workforce and an exceptional business and living environment that will enable the company to attract and retain quality employees.

“Our market research has shown our present and future customers whole heartedly support this expansion into the Jacksonville community,” said Don Parkin, AvMax Group Executive Vice President.

AvMax is certified to work on Bombardier Dash 8- 100s, 200s, 300s, Bombardier Q400s, CRJ 200s, 700s and 900s, and Embraer 145s, among other manufacturers.

AvMax will be located at 14821 Yonge Drive and Hangar #1 at the international airport. It is subleasing the 50,000-square-foot hangar facility from Signature Flight Support.

blizz01

Re: Aircraft Maintenance Company expands operations to JIA
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 04:09:13 PM »
The Business Journal indicated that Avmax’s clients include Air Canada, BAE Systems Inc., and Lufthansa - would love to see more of a presence from those guys here......

Mattius92

• It's time to bring the "Change" to Jacksonville.
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 04:09:23 PM »
That is some good news for JIA and the city. Hopefully it might help make the airport into a larger regional hub.
SunRail, Florida's smart transit idea. :) (now up on the chopping block) :(

Mattius92

• It's time to bring the "Change" to Jacksonville.
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 04:10:03 PM »
The Business Journal indicated that Avmax’s clients include Air Canada, BAE Systems Inc., and Lufthansa - would love to see more of a presence from those guys here......

yeah, maybe some international flights.
SunRail, Florida's smart transit idea. :) (now up on the chopping block) :(

JC

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 02:28:20 PM »
Anyone have the skinny on who is doing the hiring for this? 

Pottsburg

• Always Carry Always Conceal
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 02:45:32 PM »
How nice would it be to have more flights out of JIA.  Hopefully it will bring some well needed money to the airport cause they are broke!
Forza Napoli!  EPL has nothing on the Serie A

Dog Walker

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 06:15:27 PM »
The presence of so many trained, ex-Navy people had to be a strong reason for their decision to locate here.
When all else fails hug the dog.

JC

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 09:11:47 PM »
The presence of so many trained, ex-Navy people had to be a strong reason for their decision to locate here.

I am sure the labor laws had something to do with it as well.

CS Foltz

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2010, 09:17:49 PM »
Hay guys................they may have a need, but it takes an Airframe and Power plant license to do work on aircraft! Inspectors endorsement would be nice also........unless they are issuing a "repairmans certificate" which is only good at that particular facility and for  a particular aspect of aircraft maintenance!

buckethead

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010, 07:44:08 AM »
A certified jet engine mechanic makes only $14 - $21 per hour?  :-\

Pottsburg

• Always Carry Always Conceal
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2010, 08:15:55 AM »
14-21 dollars a hour seems very low.  The aircraft mech at my work top out at $38 a hour, an we aren't even union.  Most aircraft mech that work for fortune 500 companies are union and top out around $46 a hour.  Very good money for a trade school job.
Forza Napoli!  EPL has nothing on the Serie A

JC

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2010, 04:00:12 PM »
Hay guys................they may have a need, but it takes an Airframe and Power plant license to do work on aircraft! Inspectors endorsement would be nice also........unless they are issuing a "repairmans certificate" which is only good at that particular facility and for  a particular aspect of aircraft maintenance!

They are not only hiring mechanics.

civil42806

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2010, 07:01:02 AM »
14-21 dollars a hour seems very low.  The aircraft mech at my work top out at $38 a hour, an we aren't even union.  Most aircraft mech that work for fortune 500 companies are union and top out around $46 a hour.  Very good money for a trade school job.

38 an hour for an aircraft mech?  Must work for the government or fedex then.  Commercial non-union repair maintenance facility will be around 14-21. and none of the new hires will be topping out there salary for some time to come
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 08:07:23 AM by civil42806 »

CS Foltz

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2010, 07:15:38 AM »
JC .....true! There are support positions but the meat of any modification center is the wrenches in the trenches! Officer workers,parts, supply side,accounting, HR,design, wood and lets not forget the suits! It all revolves around the guys and gals on the hanger floor......I would have to look into it further and not really up to speed with this particular company since I have been out of the business for quite sometime.

JC

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2010, 08:07:59 PM »
JC .....true! There are support positions but the meat of any modification center is the wrenches in the trenches! Officer workers,parts, supply side,accounting, HR,design, wood and lets not forget the suits! It all revolves around the guys and gals on the hanger floor......I would have to look into it further and not really up to speed with this particular company since I have been out of the business for quite sometime.

Well I got someone in their HR dept on the phone and it sounds like there may be something there.  I am looking into their assistant project manager position.  I do not have the qualifications to be a mech, although I was a 6531 in the Marine Corps.