Author Topic: RiverTown Development Slowed by Recession  (Read 8295 times)

St. Auggie

Re: RiverTown Development Slowed by Recession
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2010, 07:30:18 PM »
Very good post, but I do not believe that Seaside was developed by St. Joe. 

tufsu1

« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2010, 08:05:03 PM »
Very good post, but I do not believe that Seaside was developed by St. Joe. 

correct...Seaside was developed by Robert Davis....designed by Andres Duany and his wife

St. Joe did WaterColor, Camp Creek, SouthWood, PierPark, RiverTown, WindMark, and Victoria Park

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2010, 10:09:24 PM »
I'd say it fails because it doesn't match the feel of the land. St. Johns, in this area is endless moss draped trees, fields, shade, classic old homes, slight hills, small creeks, lots of farms and mile after mile of black pasture. People move here for any of these things, to enjoy a different pace in life, "Green Acres Syndrome" perhaps.

It has been mentioned that it will never work until the schools are passable... SAY WHAT? Uh? ST. JOHNS CALLING... HELLO JACKSONVILLE! The schools are already top notch which is exactly why, if this were the driver, it would be built out today. Obviously it hasn't had much effect at least in Rivertown.

I think Rivertown suffers from several huge mistakes that most Southron's wouldn't make:
1. They wiped out all of the trees, making the site look like an abandoned cotton field.
2. They built in the wide open county so the houses are on lots that would look small in Springfield...WTF?
3. While they did build a park, they didn't really attach it to the current site, nor is retail, industrial, or anything else, just a street of sardine homes in the middle of nowhere.
4. If they were serious about selling this they could have made hay of the Switzerland Airport with something unique as a fly-in community.
5. The "town" has no heart, only artificial space as yet unoccupied. It's a non-town!
6. It's also non-country!

I live several miles south in WGV, and the differences are remarkable in Julington Creek, WGV, Rivertown, Palencia and Nocatee. Over on 210 there is a tract with homesites of several acres each, nested in the woods, as rural-suburban development goes, to my mind, it is the best (and I can't remember it's name!)

OCKLAWAHA

Overstreet

« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2010, 12:40:19 PM »
They did a poor job at erosion control on the River Town site as well. They silted the river about three times.
The Rivertown Site will fill out if it ever gets built. There were schools, business districts, etc planned.

I think much of the growth in St Johns can be directly attributed to the schools. I moved there for the schools. They were never under supervison by the courts for desegregation. They didn't have the same bussing as Duval. Kids rode the bus cause it was a long way not for ballance. The academics seemed better and they didn't put up with a lot of bad behavior that Duval did.

Of course my kids are having kids of their own. I don't personnally know how the schools are there but I see people from work moving there cause thier wives that are/were Duval teachers don't want their own kids going to Duval schools.

Dappleganger

« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2010, 11:02:08 AM »
The best thing about RiverTown (the only thing, IMO) is the new road adjoining SR16 all the way to Greenbriar Rd. so that it now only takes half an hour to get to community college! Other than that this development is a BUST. Lots and home designs are more appropriate for an urban setting and do not fit in with the surroundings in any way, plus the way the developers destroyed the existing canopy should be a CRIME!!! The canopy along SR13 is unique, historic and a favorite of wildlife as well as nature lovers and needs to be better preserved than what was allowed. So many of my neighbors agree in this area that this developer built with NO REGARD for the preservation of the unique offerings of this part of St. Johns county.

Overstreet

« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2010, 11:24:51 AM »
The best thing about RiverTown (the only thing, IMO) is the new road adjoining SR16 all the way to Greenbriar Rd. ................plus the way the developers destroyed the existing canopy should be a CRIME!!! The canopy along SR13 is unique, historic and a favorite of wildlife as well as nature lovers and needs to be better preserved than what was allowed. So many of my neighbors agree in this area that this developer built with NO REGARD for the preservation of the unique offerings of this part of St. Johns county.

The road was there a long time before they announced Rivertown.

The land they built on was really tree farm land. Once away from the road the trees were numerous but not spectacular.

north miami

« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2010, 12:19:37 PM »
Excellent modern day slave quarters and pretence.

"Only" tree farm forest

World Population 1960    3 Billion,38 Million      111,000 more each day
                        2009    6 Billion ,795 Thousand  227,000 more each day

« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 12:28:31 PM by north miami »

reednavy

« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2010, 12:30:32 PM »
Excellent modern day slave quarters and pretence.

"Only" tree farm forest

World Population 1960    3 Billion,38 Million      111,000 more each day
                        2009    6 Billion ,795 Thousand  227,000 more each day

wtf are you talking about?
Jacksonville: We're not vertically challenged, just horizontally gifted!

tufsu1

« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2010, 12:31:41 PM »
exactly!

Jason

• Global Moderator
  • I am the man in the box...
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2010, 03:07:08 PM »
Probably the fact that forest is forest, regardless of its usage and we only have so much left.

blizz01

« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2011, 07:17:32 PM »
RiverTown plan in place, development to begin soon

Environmental design firm Ervin Lovett Miller announced Thursday that it has finished the master plan for the first phase of RiverTown in north St. Johns County.

Development at the St. Joe Co. community had stalled through the economic downturn, but developers have worked on the project's bid to adapt to the economic changes. The project, south of the town of Switzerland along the eastern bank of the St. Johns River, is to see construction of its amenities begin in the second quarter of this year, according to an ELM release. Changes to the development's Riverfront Park are expected to begin in the first quarter.

Rivertown has been designed to reflect the character of "great Southern neighborhoods of years past," according to the release. It features pedestrian friendly tree-lined streets, connected neighborhoods and parks, plazas, river views and recreational amenities.

The planned amenities at RiverTown include an open space trail network throughout the community, all of which lead to the St. Johns River and the community's Riverfront Park that will be located along the community's river frontage and accessible to RiverTown residents. The park is planned to feature approximately 58 acres of nature, canopy trees and passive recreational activities, a community dock, fishing pier and waterfront overlook areas. The park is also planned to feature a central event lawn with views up to RiverTown's main entrance and The RiverHouse amenity. Park visitors will enjoy walking and jogging trails along the riverfront location. The park is master planned to have limited day boat slips, kayaking, canoe launches and a restroom pavilion.

An amenity center at RiverTown has been designed to feature a competition pool and a fun pool for families, one championship tennis court with additional tennis courts and play fields. The community's social club - The RiverHouse - is planned to include more than 1,400 square feet of river view terraces, a 3,450 square-foot clubroom, meeting room, outdoor palm court with bar area, kitchen and restrooms. The RiverHouse will be located adjacent to the RiverTown fitness center, which is planned to include individual and group fitness areas, pool access, a social director's office and an approximately 470-square-foot poolside veranda.

http://jacksonville.com/opinion/blog/404387/kevin-turner/2011-02-11/rivertown-plan-place-development-begin-soon