Author Topic: RiverTown Development Slowed by Recession  (Read 8298 times)

cline

Re: RiverTown Development Slowed by Recession
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2010, 11:41:29 AM »
Too bad we all suffer for their despoilation of the environment.

We already are.  They have been fined numerous times for improper control of runoff from the site.

buckethead

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2010, 11:45:55 AM »
What you are describing is collective inaction on the part of parents and a dependency on government to provide good schools for kids, put short, they are taking the easy way out.   
Are you (and your family) a home schooling family?

Yes, we are.  Was I that easy to read?
To me, perhaps. My family is home schooled as well. I feel exactly the same. I can be involved, but cannot control, or even influence other parents. Apathy abounds in our public schools.

JC

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2010, 11:54:02 AM »
What you are describing is collective inaction on the part of parents and a dependency on government to provide good schools for kids, put short, they are taking the easy way out.   
Are you (and your family) a home schooling family?

Yes, we are.  Was I that easy to read?
To me, perhaps. My family is home schooled as well. I feel exactly the same. I can be involved, but cannot control, or even influence other parents. Apathy abounds in our public schools.

Good for you and yours!

I guess it takes one to know one.

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (DAMMIT!)
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICES
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2010, 12:08:12 PM »
Oh well, what a shame.  The cause and effect of the great recession and economic downturn. Maybe when the economic cranks back to close to full this development, along with others in the urban core and suburbs, will be revived.

"HU"
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal, or, access my Social Service Agency Facebook page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: https://www.facebook.com/FRESHSTARTSOCIALSERVICEAGENCY/; thank you!!!

hightowerlover

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2010, 01:14:51 PM »
who cares about some suburban crap subdivision that's barely considered jacksonville.  stick to the metro.

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2010, 01:39:58 PM »
I would imagine Watercolor would look about the same if it had started at the same time. 

What I meant was the layout/design elements of the development.  Rivertown is essentially a typical PUD.  Watercolor is it's own city.  The architecture was much better*.  The community was layed out and designed much better.  And it promoted biking and walking.  You hardly even saw garages in Watercolor.  True, Watercolor is primarily a second home community so that helps... but the overall theme of the city was much less car dependant.

JC

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2010, 02:04:06 PM »
who cares about some suburban crap subdivision that's barely considered jacksonville.  stick to the metro.

true

St. Auggie

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2010, 03:51:15 PM »
I would imagine Watercolor would look about the same if it had started at the same time. 

What I meant was the layout/design elements of the development.  Rivertown is essentially a typical PUD.  Watercolor is it's own city.  The architecture was much better*.  The community was layed out and designed much better.  And it promoted biking and walking.  You hardly even saw garages in Watercolor.  True, Watercolor is primarily a second home community so that helps... but the overall theme of the city was much less car dependant.

I would have to guess that they just borrowed all the design elements from Seaside, which was there long before Watercolor.  Especially since Seaside was designed when "new urbanism" was a new thing.  I do love it over there, those are my favorite sunsets, nothing like rich folks clapping for the sun!!

copperfiend

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2010, 04:08:31 PM »

Developments like that are part of the conversation. Who cares? Obviously the person who wrote it did.

tufsu1

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2010, 04:09:41 PM »

what...St. Johns County isn't part of the Jacksonville metro area?

tufsu1

« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2010, 04:12:07 PM »
I would have to guess that they just borrowed all the design elements from Seaside, which was there long before Watercolor.  Especially since Seaside was designed when "new urbanism" was a new thing.  I do love it over there, those are my favorite sunsets, nothing like rich folks clapping for the sun!!

having worked on the planning for WaterColor ten years ago (I really hate getting old), I can say that we did look at Seaside...and then tried to improve on it.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 04:56:19 PM by tufsu1 »

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2010, 04:29:43 PM »
having worked on the planning for Watercolor ten years ago (I really hate getting old), I can say that we did look at Seaside...and then tried to improve on it.

TuFSU... nice work on the plans.  I had never visited either community and was interested in their approach to community building.  Watercolor has nice homes... more traditional-styled NW Florida beach homes(wraparound porches, metal roofs, locally sourced wood), great biking, easy access to the state park, Florida-friendly yards, very walkable/bikeable routes around the city, as well as a connection to the natural surrounding of the community.

I can post pics of Watercolor if anyone is curious.  I didn't necessarily want to change the subject, so no disrespect to the author of the article... I just happened to have visited both communities in the last few weeks and was taken by their stark differences.

St. Auggie

« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2010, 04:30:30 PM »

having worked on the planning for Watercolor ten years ago (I really hate getting old), I can say that we did look at Seaside...and then tried to improve on it.
[/quote]

That is really neat, nice havin that inside info.  I really think Watercolor added to the area, I know the Seaside residents would punch me for saying so, but Seaside was ruined once they built homes south of 30a.

tufsu1

« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2010, 04:59:41 PM »
yes...WaterColor is very well done...but that is easy to do when the average home costs over $500,000...it was much harder to do at SouthWood in Tallahassee, where the price point was only 10% higher than the general metro area.

RiverTown would likely have a similar problem, although I think St. Joe planned on a 20+ percent premium over other St. Johns communities.

Overstreet

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2010, 05:52:16 PM »
The same company designed Seaside, Water Color, WindMark and RiverTown.  The difference was the development divisions. They were different people and had differnent goals and objectives.  I think River Town is a poor design. Big box houses on small lots with no regard for nature or the  lay of the land.  The river is your friend is blantant marketing BS when it comes to River Town. River Town is blatant development like the rest of them on Hwy 210.  It sucks.

The panhandle developments like WindMark on the other hand went so far as establishing "dark sky" so you could see stars at night. They left the flow of the land and built houses up above the natural vegetation and ground. They encouraged electric vehicle and pedestiran travel by making the front of the houses on the boardwalks and the vehicle areas in the "alley" areas. Some of the Camps have one to five acre lots. Each of the panhandle neighborhoods have a different feel. But they all feel better than River Town.

I don't know if y'all remember, but Julington Creek Plantation's developer was in bankrupcy and stalled for 10 years before it really took off. For a long time it was really just two streets with a 9 hole golf course.

They did do OK on the ball fields though. The article didn't show them.  They are north up the SR 13 a little. It is a good facility for a place out there in this early stage of development.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 05:56:12 PM by Overstreet »