Author Topic: Kings Road Pedestrian Enhancement Project Underway  (Read 8460 times)

CS Foltz

Re: Kings Road Pedestrian Enhancement Project Underway
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2010, 09:33:15 PM »
lake...........I concur! Having other options would be just hunky dorey by me, but there is no other game in town! Until we have something else......the concrete clowns will rule!

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
Re: Kings Road Pedestrian Enhancement Project Underway
« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2010, 10:29:39 PM »
A 5 way equal division sounds great to me too... on the surface, but it would NEVER work! Imagine the Federal budget has been so tilted to highway over the years that all of the rest have fought over maybe 15%. Even that has been very lopsided as Air has gotten the lions share of most of it, while water and rail almost nothing. Pedestrians and bicycles have not even crossed DOT'S mind until the last couple of years.

So what happens is that those TRILLIONS spent on roads suddenly reduced to a couple Billion a year, we have so much pavement and so many bridges in place that we would fall woefully short on even patching the pot holes! The Minnesota Bridge failure would become common place throughout the USA.  Meanwhile, the waterway boys and girls would be able to channel and dam every waterway from Hogan's Creek to the Nile. Bullet trains would be an easy build and towns like Lulu, Elwood and Two Egg Florida would be demanding terminals. Oddly, of all of the modes, perhaps Airlines and Airports would feel the least change as they are the closest to 20% of the take today.

Perhaps Charles or TUFSU has the exact numbers but it's close to Highway 88%, Air 10%, Rail 1.5%, water .5%. The only way to do it would be a 100 year plan, with major gains and losses every 10 years until parity was reached.

OCKLAWAHA