Author Topic: Kings Road Pedestrian Enhancement Project Underway  (Read 8452 times)

Mattius92

• It's time to bring the "Change" to Jacksonville.
Re: Kings Road Pedestrian Enhancement Project Underway
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2010, 12:43:53 PM »
Use???
SunRail, Florida's smart transit idea. :) (now up on the chopping block) :(

cline

« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2010, 01:53:06 PM »
Talk is cheap.  Where's the beef?

Why does South Florida have this and we don't?  For a fraction of the JTB I-95 interchange, we could have these pathways along all our local stretches of expressways and interstates.

There's a public meeting tomorrow night (May 20).  I suggest you show up and voice your concerns.

CS Foltz

« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2010, 01:56:13 PM »
Where?

cline

« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2010, 02:02:12 PM »
Alternatives Public Hearing
Thursday, May 20, 2010
4:30 to 7:00 PM

Best Western Southpoint
4660 Salisbury Road
Jacksonville, Florida 32256

tufsu1

« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2010, 03:29:37 PM »
If FDOT is years ahead, I would hate to see what years behind is.  OK, if you say they are, I'll take your word for it.

P.S. How many dollars of DOT's budget are allocated to autos versus bikes and pedestrians?  Over 95%?  Whatever it is, I think that says more about DOT's relative priorities than anything else.[/b]

Well considering that currently 95% of trips in our area are made by car, FDOT would say they are responding to existing conditions.

btw...you've mentioned the I-95 bridge and the lack of ped/bike improvements....consider that they were a partner in developing the RAM space underneath the bridge...not exactly "your typical DOT project"

CS Foltz

« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2010, 05:00:17 PM »
Much thanks cline!

buckethead

« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2010, 05:02:21 PM »

Well considering that currently 95% of trips in our area are made by car, FDOT would say they are responding to existing conditions.

To be fair, there is no real alternative to automotive transportation.

How long would it take by JTA bus to get from Firestone and 103rd St to a doctor's office on State Rd 13 in Mandarin, for instance?

3 hours? 4 hours? DON'T miss a connector.

By car, 17 minutes?

CS Foltz

« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2010, 05:09:37 PM »
N they say there is no demand for LR or Trolley's............this is according to JTA's head hockey puck!

stjr

« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2010, 06:00:14 PM »

Consider that 95% of trips are made by car because our transportation oligopoly, FDOT and JTA, refuse to give us an effective range of alternatives.  It's not like the public has choices they can truly make.  It also doesn't help that government distorts the cost vs. value proposition leading to less than free market driven decisions regarding transportation.

Here is a thought: Divide our transportation dollars into 5 equally funded and self-sustaining business units of (1) roads, (2) rail/terrestrial mass transit,(3) planes, (4) pedestrian/bicycle/other non-motorized, and (5) boats/ships.  Let the business units compete on a level playing field for survival.  Just as most businesses do when selecting which products to carry/sell.  The business units would be permitted to do joint ventures with the other business units if they see a benefit to creating mutually beneficial networks and feeder systems.  I suspect roads won't have 95% of the traffic.
Hey!  Whatever happened to just plain ol' COMMON SENSE!!

CS Foltz

« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2010, 07:51:26 PM »
Gee fellas! Only 95%............I would have thought 99%! The other one percent .....bus riders! stjr......either one or the other or you could allways "ankle express" providing you had sufficient time for both halves of the trip! JTA does not see the possibilities since they can not see beyond their concrete noses!

tufsu1

« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2010, 08:36:44 PM »
Why does South Florida have this and we don't?  For a fraction of the JTB I-95 interchange, we could have these pathways along all our local stretches of expressways and interstates.

I suspect the various districts of FDOT have different approaches to their missions.  

not really....each FDOT district spends money based on priorities defined by the areas themselves, but their missions are basically the same...the main thing in South Florida is that the road system (and land) is pretty much built out...so the improvements are different....and many local governments have agreed to chip in to fund significant landscaping on facilities.

btw...Suncoast Pkwy is north of Tampa (hardly south Florida unless you ask USF)...it was built by Florida's Turnpike Enterprise, under the theory that tolls would cover all construction and mantenance costs....plus the trail was done in order to get environmental folks to not oppose the project.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 08:42:47 PM by tufsu1 »

tufsu1

« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2010, 08:40:51 PM »
Here is a thought: Divide our transportation dollars into 5 equally funded and self-sustaining business units of (1) roads, (2) rail/terrestrial mass transit,(3) planes, (4) pedestrian/bicycle/other non-motorized, and (5) boats/ships.

Are you suggesting diverting even more gas tax revenues and airport departure fees to other modes? 

stjr

« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2010, 09:17:27 PM »
Here is a thought: Divide our transportation dollars into 5 equally funded and self-sustaining business units of (1) roads, (2) rail/terrestrial mass transit,(3) planes, (4) pedestrian/bicycle/other non-motorized, and (5) boats/ships.

Are you suggesting diverting even more gas tax revenues and airport departure fees to other modes?  

Tufsu, government funding is and always be one big political shell game.  I don't care where government raises the money, the politicos will direct it wherever they think it is politically expedient.  General funds subsidize roads so there is no reason the process can't be reversed.  We just saw the City Council seriously consider redirecting historic preservation funds, and now park money, to a parking lot.  The lottery was supposed to fund education - not!  Social security taxes go to subsidize our deficit, not fund social security for the long haul.

I say take money from wherever and spend it on the priorities of the day.  If we need to improve education over new $100 million interchanges, $200 million 9B, or $1.8 billion Outer Beltway, so be it.
Hey!  Whatever happened to just plain ol' COMMON SENSE!!

CS Foltz

« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2010, 09:26:29 PM »
stjr............I think you may be on to something! I see no reason why that could not be done in that manner! I mean, Johnny and his musical books seems to come up with money for his pet projects so I can see just where that might work! Only issue I would have is how do you oversee what gets what? Some kind of oversight would have to take charge and I don't know about you................but I am having more and more issues with Idiots deciding for me...........like City of Jacksonville and the buffoons running things now..........no vision and damn sure no plan! Close only works with horseshoes and hand grenades!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 09:28:47 PM by CS Foltz »

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2010, 09:30:19 PM »

To be fair, there is no real alternative to automotive transportation.

How long would it take by JTA bus to get from Firestone and 103rd St to a doctor's office on State Rd 13 in Mandarin, for instance?

3 hours? 4 hours? DON'T miss a connector.

By car, 17 minutes?

There is an alternative, we just have to change our land use and infrastructure investment patterns.  The key is finding a way to reduce every day routine trips.  Allowing for higher densities, mixed-use and investing more effort into establishing better pedestrian, bike and transit options are the things that must be done to get there.  Until that happens, we'll stay in this never ending death cycle of designing for the automobile instead of the people who call this city home.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 09:34:24 PM by thelakelander »
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali