Author Topic: Elements of Urbanism: New Orleans  (Read 5800 times)

billy

Re: Elements of Urbanism: New Orleans
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2010, 02:36:35 PM »
Franky and Johnny's on  Arabella Street
Cochon
snowballs! Abita!

cayohueso

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2010, 12:46:35 AM »
I was in New Orleans recently, visiting relatives over in the Kiln, MS.
Every time I visit NOLA, I always salute the JAX Beer factory thinking yep, something else that got away...

billy

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2010, 06:55:59 AM »
Couchon (correction.)

iloveionia

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2010, 03:06:08 PM »
New Orleans is on our 3,000 mile road trip plan this summer. Can NOT wait.  Ennis, I'll be emailing you to ask for some "must see" places.  Loved all the pics and information.  I do say, it seems to kick Jax's butt!!!

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2010, 12:33:25 AM »
Well Lakelander, which of the streetcars did you think rode the best, (this is a REAL question for you and anyone else who has ridden both) the red ones or green ones?

I kept looking at your photos, then at my own and thinking what some quality Jacksonville leadership could have done for New Orleans. 
* No WORLDS FAIR
* No STREETCARS
* Removal of 50% of historic building stock
* Replace another 15% with monster parking garages
* Removal of Streetcar Barns and tracks
* Cut maintenance staff at city park to one PT employee
* Blow up two most historic neighborhoods raze and remove them
* Replace city waterfront with acres of parking
* Cut remaining RTA transit headways to 45 minutes/1 hour, no transit at night and little on weekends.

How would we handle the levees? We do take care of Hogans Creek and McCoys Creeks don't we?

OCKLAWAHA
I LIKE THE GREEN ONES!

billy

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2010, 07:06:23 AM »
Green.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2010, 07:39:53 AM »
To be honest, the heritage (red) streetcars had a smoother, more comfortable ride.  This was probably because I had the opportunity to sit down.  The authentic (green) streetcars we're packed standing room only, regardless of time.  If you want the "click-clack" sound, take the St. Charles Avenue line.  If you want cars with A/C and handicap acces, take the red cars (they run these primarily on the newer lines but I did see a few on the St. Charles line).

It was also interesting to see the mix of people riding them.  High school students, blue collar & white collar workers, tourist and people simply going to the major parks for recreation.  It was a beautiful site to see and something we're definitely missing out with in Jacksonville.  People are attracted to those things.  I couldn't say the same thing for the buses.  Here are a few more images of the streetcars that I did not post in the article:

Standing room only: Inside the St. Charles Avenue streetcar

Inside a heritage streetcar on Canal Street.

End of line

No-frills streetcar stop: The people on the sidewalk are actually waiting for the trolley.

Waiting for the Riverfront line at Jackson Brewery

Streetcars on the right two tracks, CSX freight trains run on tracks to the left.

Multimodal: People use the streetcar ROW for walking, jogging and cycling.  I guess its better for the pedestrian to mix with streetcars than automobiles.

No frills: Waiting for a streetcar in Mid-City.

Killing two birds with one stone: street lights combined with streetcar infrastructure.

Take note Springfield: Streetcars can travel down residential streets two.

Note to rail opponents: private development likes rail-based transit.

Think verticle: Handling automobile parking in a dense setting.

Nice suit!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 07:43:53 AM by thelakelander »
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

billy

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2010, 08:49:48 AM »
The secret to running on the ROW is to remember how quiet the streetcars are.

Dog Walker

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2010, 09:37:40 AM »
Lake, You've gone and made me homesick.  Spent many summers in NO with my cousins and am looking forward to visiting again next month.  Parents would put me on the Gulf Wind with a bag of sandwiches and a bottle of water; relatives would meet me at the other end.

As kids, 10 cents and transfers would take you from Chantilly to Audubon Park and back either on the street cars or the electric buses.  Happy times.

Many fun visits in the years in between including a memorial family gathering for my mother who was born in the Hotel Dieu hospital there.

Want to find me in that city just sit in the Acme Oyster Bar on any afternoon or at the Cafe du Monde any morning.
When all else fails hug the dog.

geauxtigers31

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2010, 11:04:26 AM »
Having lived both places I have long been saying the Jacksonville and New Orleans have a lot of the same characteristics. Southern hubs, musical history, port cities, anchored by a river, etc. They are like brothers, New Orleans being the overachiever and Jacksonville being the screw up.

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2010, 10:32:52 PM »
The secret of the two streetcar types goes well beyond color and age. The RED cars are riding on PCC type trucks, redesigned and up dated by Brookville Locomotive. The GREEN are on the original AAR trucks, which are similar to those used by Gomaco, and Edwards.  The AAR are styles which could be used on several types of rebuilt, restored or new reproduction "JACKSONVILLE STYLE" cars, such as our TURTLE BACKS, or center entry Peter Witt's.

OCKLAWAHA

Keith-N-Jax

• Around the World
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2010, 08:18:25 PM »
I have been to NO many times, it reminds me of other cities that get a free pass on their faults because of their so called rich history. The FQ is a great yeah because you can walk around with a drink and watch drunk women pull up their shirts. NO is dirty, filthy and smells really bad, but we forgot about that and just talk about the FQ and street cars and crawfish. Sorry just MO.

Andy

« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2010, 08:34:10 PM »
Having lived both places I have long been saying the Jacksonville and New Orleans have a lot of the same characteristics. Southern hubs, musical history, port cities, anchored by a river, etc. They are like brothers, New Orleans being the overachiever and Jacksonville being the screw up.
Greatest quote ever. I salute you.

Dog Walker

« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2010, 08:43:51 PM »
I have been to NO many times, it reminds me of other cities that get a free pass on their faults because of their so called rich history. The FQ is a great yeah because you can walk around with a drink and watch drunk women pull up their shirts. NO is dirty, filthy and smells really bad, but we forgot about that and just talk about the FQ and street cars and crawfish. Sorry just MO.

Sorry, you haven't been to New Orleans.  You have been to Bourbon Street.  Go to the other side of Basin Street and get a taste of the real place.
When all else fails hug the dog.

Keith-N-Jax

• Around the World
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2010, 09:06:18 PM »
No I have,,been there as well and Bourbon st is really what makes NO other than that its just a dark dirty river city in a bowl.