Author Topic: Local chapter of International Laurel & Hardy Appreciation Society  (Read 1823 times)

PlanNinePlanner

• Steve Bailey's Movie Reviews
I run the "Leave 'em Laughing Tent," which is Jacksonville's chapter of The International Laurel & Hardy Appreciation Society, also known as "Sons of the Desert." The Society is devoted to promoting the comedy films of 1930's and '40s comedians Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy.

On one Monday each month, I show Laurel & Hardy movies from 6:00 to 7:45 p.m. at the Pablo Creek Branch Library, 13295 Beach Boulevard. (Meeting dates vary according to room availability at the library.) All ages are welcome, admission is free, and I also serve free light snacks and soda at each meeting.

The Tent has been up and running since August of 2006. I usually get around a dozen attendees at each meeting. I am grateful for anyone who comes to the meetings. However, in a town the size of Jacksonville -- where, incidentally, Oliver Hardy made his first movies in the 1910's -- I have to believe that there are more than only a dozen people who would enjoy viewing these movies.

Unfortunately, my budget is such that I can get the word out about my group only through posted leaflets, free listings in a few local publications, and word of mouth. If you are a Laurel & Hardy buff or you know someone who is, I hope you will help to get my group known. The group is *completely* non-profit; my sole purpose is to get the movies out for everyone to watch.

The Tent also has a promotional website, complete with reviews of all L&H movies, interviews with some of L&H's biographers, and regularly updated info about monthly Tent meetings. Please feel free to visit the Tent's website at:  http://www.leaveemlaughing.com

Thanks in advance for your help and support.