Author Topic: City to build Homeless Shelter in Hemming Plaza  (Read 6979 times)

gatorback

• “Know thyself.”
Re: City to build Homeless Shelter in Hemming Plaza
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2010, 09:55:15 AM »
OCKLAWAHA, Don't forget the airship landing pad atop the roof!
'As a sinner I am truly conscious of having often offended my Creator and I beg him to forgive me, but as a Queen and Sovereign, I am aware of no fault or offence for which I have to render account to anyone here below.'   Mary, queen of Scots to her jailer, Sir Amyas Paulet; October 1586

Seraphs

« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2010, 11:38:00 AM »
'Punked!' Thanks, my heart needed that!

Mondo

« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2010, 10:02:46 AM »
Omg! Are you serious? Why don't we buy a billboard in every major city with bus service and announce we want homeless in Jacksonville Eat Free, sleep inside if you want, you can pan handle and make enough money to support your drug habit and if you use the street as your toilet you can become a YouTube star!

Seriously... I'm not an expert but here is my take on our HUGE PROBLEM with downtown development...
It's homeless then parking! Period the end.
 There are 4 types of homeless
1. Those who are homeless from circumstance... Prolonged job loss, illness, etc... None of us begrudge giving support to anyone who is trying to be productive and has hit a bad bump in the road. Especially families who fall victim to our economic instabilty.
2. The mentally ill. These people need our protection. Some of them can't manage their own basic hygene much less secure food or shelter. They are being left to fend for themselves in a dangerous environment. We should provide a better solution for the longterm social services care of these most vulnerable of our citizens. It's criminal not to.
3. The addicted. This makes up probably (I'm guessing here) 80% of the people who are homeless. They can't hold a job because they are zombies in search of drugs or alchohol. We are enbling these poor people to remain in a life of torment by giving them only basic food, water and shelter with no rehab or way out of their situation. It's simple ... We need to mandate intensive rehab when these people receive assistance. And we as a city need to STOP THE PANHANDLING!!! Stop giving these people money. They use it for drugs. If you want to feed them fine, but them a cheeseburger and a bottle of water. We are the problem not the homeless! If we don't give them money they won't stay here. A lot of those people hustling are not even homeless. They are just hustling because it works! Rehab and no more giving money to street people!!!!
4. Those people who are in every society who simply chose a nomadic approach to life. These are the people who make camps in the woods. They seem to be a little more independant and self reliant for shelter and food. Some of them are capable of day labor jobs or holding the sign out by traffic.  They aren't usually the ones wandering around downtown all night juiced up on meth or
whatever those poor people are on. All of these people place a drain on our hospitals, and our image. We are not helping any of these people by creating a situation where they are stuck! We are creating ferrel people and enabling a whole bunch of drug use and alchohol abuse.

Let's stop the cycle and help these people... And clean up our downtown and our city image.
Rehab for everyone who gets assistance, no more panhandling and better social services for the mentally ill.

Mondo

« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2010, 10:09:27 AM »
I know it's a joke... But it really isn't funny. It's costing us millions upon millions of dollars... And the way we are handling our homeless is enabling them to be drug and alchohol addicts.

Makes my heart heart to see what we are doing.

Ernest Street

• Neighborhood Watchdog
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2010, 11:58:03 AM »
Ahh Mondo, you have encountered "The Professional Panhandler" My brother witnessed one daily regular next to Hemmings whip out a cell phone after hours of begging, and get picked up by some man in a car. Another takes cabs home after panhandling....so please Folks! stop giving cash to anybody that just asks for it.
My favorite one around I-10/95 interchange that we have all been hearing for years is the "Hey man..I'm out of gas here off the interstate and need cash to get back to (fill in the blank) Georgia."   One guy forgot who I was and asked me twice several hours later... :D
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 11:59:47 AM by Ernest Street »

videojon

« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2010, 04:32:46 PM »
i was beginning to wonder

flo

« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2010, 11:46:31 AM »
dont you people have some grass to mow or a soccer game to take your little clones to? jeez

904Scars

« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2010, 12:01:06 PM »
dont you people have some grass to mow or a soccer game to take your little clones to? jeez

Huh?

KuroiKetsunoHana

• 黒い血の花
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2010, 02:40:46 PM »
i don't know, judging from her(?) few posts, it looks like flo is setting out to be unpleasant enough make me look warm and friendly.

(edited for clarity)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 02:53:36 PM by KuroiKetsunoHana »
天の下の慈悲はありません。

uptowngirl

« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2010, 03:07:56 PM »
i don't know, judging from her(?) few posts, it looks like flo is setting out to be unpleasant enough make me look warm and friendly.

(edited for clarity)

+1

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (DAMMIT!)
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICES
« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2010, 08:54:04 AM »
I'm a social service worker and homelessness advocate and I was getting ready to yell "hooray!" But even if it were so it wouldn't be a good idea.  Almost had me as well.  That was a good one.

"HU"
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal, or, access my Social Service Agency Facebook page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: https://www.facebook.com/FRESHSTARTSOCIALSERVICEAGENCY/; thank you!!!