Author Topic: Memo reveals private powwow  (Read 1403 times)

Lunican

• The Jaxson
    • MetroJacksonville.com
Memo reveals private powwow
« on: August 14, 2007, 07:07:37 AM »
The Florida Times-Union

August 14, 2007

Memo reveals private powwow

By BETH KORMANIK,
The Times-Union

In the minutes before a crucial vote on an Atlantic Boulevard development last year, Jacksonville City Councilman Richard Clark and Councilwoman Sharon Copeland met privately with the developer's attorney in a room off the council chamber, according to an eyewitness account from an opponent of the development.

Valerie Britt described the incident in a memo to the city General Counsel's Office a week after the September incident and recently to the Times-Union.

She said she planned to submit an affidavit to State Attorney Harry Shorstein, who is heading a grand jury investigation into possible violations of the Government-in-the-Sunshine Law by current and former council members.

Clark and the attorney, Tom Ingram, both denied her allegations. Copeland, who left the council in June after not seeking re-election, did not return three phone calls to her cell phone and office Friday and Monday.

According to Britt, she arrived at the Sept. 19 Land Use and Zoning meeting and noticed that Ingram was absent from the council chamber, as was Clark, who represents the area, and Copeland, the committee's chairwoman.

Britt said she entered the room, called the "Green Room," to look for them and found all three huddled at one end of a conference table. She said they noticed her and told her she wasn't allowed in the room, so she left.

"I know what I saw and I know it's a violation of the Sunshine Law," she said in an interview.

Clark said the incident never happened.

Full Article: http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/081407/met_191166467.shtml

jbm32206

Re: Memo reveals private powwow
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 08:00:24 AM »
This is exactly why they're being investigated...this happens all the time, and the people have had enough!

downtownparks

Re: Memo reveals private powwow
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 12:00:19 PM »
Cant they go back to city council video archives, and see people entering and leaving the green room? This one should be at least partially verifiable.